Sponsored by:

Backup Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 AM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup Car

So I just got a '17 991.2 S Cab and absolutely love it! However, I have a 2-year old and 5-year old kids. I thought I could get by driving them in their car seats in back but I just can't do it. It is too tight and I have to drive with my driver seat so far forward just to accommodate the car seat let alone their legs. For those with young kids of this age, what is your backup car? I don't want just another SUV. I am young and enjoy driving and would like something as close as possible to the fun of a 911. I was thinking BMW M5 or MB E63 or Audi S6. What do you guys have as a back up car or do you guys prefer as one?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:58 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you driven or had a Macan? It may be an SUV, but it handles incredibly well for one. That said, it's most likely a step down from the sport sedans you've suggested.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:20 AM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 for the Macan backup, love ours
Old 05-06-2017, 11:41 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Having gone through the kid rearing stage don't even think about the Mecan. Yes- they'll fit in back for now- but the cargo capacity won't cut it from day one. Cayenne is much better for room all around, but it still doesn't have big cargo capacity. We've been ok with our Diesel from a cargo perspective but there were a few times I've wished for bigger. The quality of the drive and comfort quickly erase any regret. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife drives a C63 AMG with the kid. Also had a M3 in the past which worked well. Personally, I like the size of these cars vs. M5/E63. The smaller size still make them handle well and gives more of a sports car feel. If I want/need bigger, I drive the Cayenne.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

You don't need an SUV for rear seat passengers and decent cargo space. And even the best most SUVs don't drive as well as lesser cars.

My daily is an Audi RS7, which has a great back seat and plenty of cargo space. Porsche Panamera is great, too, and you can probably get a very good price on a nearly new late model year one CPO. Both have more actual rear seat room than, and actually more usable rear cargo space than, even a Cayenne.

Audi S6/S7 both great also.

In BMW land, while it's not the prettiest, the 3-series GT is an excellent car too. More rear seat head and leg room and cargo space than a 5-series. With M Sport package and M Dynamic Suspension and 19" wheels, it drives very well, too. At least it's a lot less money than a Panamera/Cayenne/Macan, or S6/S7/RS7.

trust me, get a car, not an SUV/crossover.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Golf R. I LOVE my GTi but FWD and 265 fl-lbs equals torque issues. I can't imagine with proper traction and more power.

The GTi is my daily. Sometimes I think it's more fun than the 911....
Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Do you have a budget for the second car? If not there are numerous cars that would be great options.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
2001_S15
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a S6. It's a fantastic car. Coming off lease later this year. I got it this time 2014, and at that time the tech/interior was a little dated, and it's a lot dated now, but the car drives amazingly well. Prior to that had a F10 BMW 550i which I never connected with - way too much of a soulless lifeless boat. BMW ended up buying that back after numerous issues. Read this article in C&D during the buy-back:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Test drove the S6 and as soon as I put my foot down I got over my opinions about the tech. 4-paw grip, blindingly fast, heavily bolstered, grippy seats, lots of feeling through your butt & the wheel (for a big car). Air suspension + Sport/Comfort modes that really change the feeling of the car. And 17mpg reliably in city/hilly driving (better than the Bimmer where I got 15-16).

I have a bit of a dilemma now that the lease is coming up. Have considered the 911 Targa I have on order to be a daily, but lacks a back seat for the one time per month I need that. The S6 is honestly my favorite sedan I've ever had. I could just buy it out at the end of the lease or get something else. Looking at E43 given recent C&D comparo. New G30 BMW still apparently sucks even though it looks better.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, I am you, 2-year-old & 5-year-old (in July) with a 911.

Firstly +1 for the Macan, my wife owns one and they are a joy to drive and have tonnes of room, definitely recommend.

Secondly, are you using the official Porsche child seats in your 911? We have them and can get both kids in fine, as a daily it might get a bit tiring but if you're alternating between the 911 and a Macan it'll be fine.

Here's a picture of mine, the chair on the left is a booster seat, not it is flush to the edge of the rear seat.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Hello, I am you, 2 year old & 5 year old (in July) with a 911.

Firstly +1 for the Macan, my wife owns one and they are a joy to drive and have tonnes of room, definitely recommend.

Secondly, are you using the official Porsche child seats in your 911? We have them and can get both kids in fine, as a daily it might get a bit tiring but if you're alternating between the 911 and a Macan it'll be fine.

Here's a picture of mine, the chair on the left is a booster seat, not it is flush to the edge of the rear seat.

I've tried those seats in my 2015 Cab and they don't fit as well as they do in the coupe. With my 5 and 7 year old I don't use a booster car seat in the back seats. If I did their head would be in line with the wind deflector and in any collision their heads would be impacted.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:49 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I've tried those seats in my 2015 Cab and they don't fit as well as they do in the coupe. With my 5 and 7 year old I don't use a booster car seat in the back seats. If I did their head would be in line with the wind deflector and in any collision their heads would be impacted.
Another option for booster seats I've looked at, which is unfortunately no longer legal in the EU because they've changed the law to require boosters have a hard back, is the mifold: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...seat-kids--2#/
Old 05-06-2017, 01:53 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I would suggest maybe a CPO Audi S4. B8 Generation. You can find these in stick if you want to row your own. Pretty snappy little car. The 2012's still have hydraulic steering, I was never a fan of the electric steering on the S4 on the 13 and newer cars.

If you are looking at an S6 maybe look at a CPO Audi S8. The seats are amazing, super luxurious, 520hp. If you chip it, with race gas you're running a 10 second quarter mile. Total sleeper.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:36 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
My wife drives a C63 AMG with the kid. Also had a M3 in the past which worked well. Personally, I like the size of these cars vs. M5/E63. The smaller size still make them handle well and gives more of a sports car feel. If I want/need bigger, I drive the Cayenne.
I like that idea. I'd prefer to have a smaller car than a small SUV like the Macan or Cayenne. I guess I'll look into the C63. I assumed C63 would be too small with kids hence the idea of E63 or M5. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lapis
You don't need an SUV for rear seat passengers and decent cargo space. And even the best most SUVs don't drive as well as lesser cars.

My daily is an Audi RS7, which has a great back seat and plenty of cargo space. Porsche Panamera is great, too, and you can probably get a very good price on a nearly new late model year one CPO. Both have more actual rear seat room than, and actually more usable rear cargo space than, even a Cayenne.

Audi S6/S7 both great also.

In BMW land, while it's not the prettiest, the 3-series GT is an excellent car too. More rear seat head and leg room and cargo space than a 5-series. With M Sport package and M Dynamic Suspension and 19" wheels, it drives very well, too. At least it's a lot less money than a Panamera/Cayenne/Macan, or S6/S7/RS7.

trust me, get a car, not an SUV/crossover.
Absolutely. I had a Range Rover Sport Supercharged and as fast as it was and as roomy as it was, it was still an SUV and never did it nor would it ever handle like a car. I love cars much better. SUV are sloppy to drive.

Quick Reply: Backup Car