Sponsored by:

Opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Opinions....

I really love my 911s. I am seriously considering trading for a Turbo. But I think I will really miss the PSE. I love the pops gurgles etc. I would love to get you guys' opinions. Would I really miss the PSE or will the features of a Turbo outweigh the loss. You Turbo owners please weigh in here.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Trade up! Once you launch a turbo you'll never look back, it's unbelievable. Literally feels as if all four wheels are lifting off the pavement.

In sport mode you get a great sound of pops and gurgles when you lift off the gas. Likely not as great as the PSE, but still sounds like it means business and will turn heads.

I'm not sure I would want it much louder, but an aftermarket exhaust could make it even more aggressive if you're still not pleased.

There's no better view than looking through the side mirrors and seeing those sexy wide hips with the awesome side air intakes.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Personal preference. For some(ME) the naturally aspirated engine is where it's at for a lot of driving fun. The sound and feel just do it. 0-60 tests not only get old but repeated enjoyment will also result in tickets.... once you get caught.

No question the TURBO and 17 turbos are faster but how often are you maxing out the performance in what you have?

Grass can always look greener.

Thats my conjecture. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:23 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a 14 turbo. I'm getting a tubi exhaust. All the sounds your missing and then some. I'm getting a price that will allow me to enjoy it and then sell in in years to come for same price.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:16 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a .2S, I would personally keep it, as I think the new drivetrain has significantly reduced the gap to the Turbo models. I use to have a 997.2 Turbo PDK, and I know it's not a 991 Turbo, but that car was plenty fast (I ran a 11.0 @126 bone stock in that car), and after having owned my current 991.2 C2S PDK for a few months, I can honestly say that I would never spend the extra dough on the Turbo model. This car "feels" just as fast on a daily basis, or even faster given the torque curve, and I would never feel the need for anything else
Old 04-17-2017, 03:41 AM
IrocMan
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For my budget (wanted to stay around 100K) I also looked into turbos. I'd like one but there was no way I'd get a decent 991-TT for this price and 997-TT felt behind a 991-4S in term of chassis and maybe overall performance.
I haven't test driven a 991TT to compare, but I'd tend to agree with P-car fan.

It really depends on what you want.
There's one consideration IMHO having owned powerful cars before they just accelerate too quickly and don't enjoy the sound of the engine much.
It may sound ridiculous to say but at some point, you want to floor 3rd gear with the engine singing at 7K RPM for more than half a second! If it's too powerful you're already too fast and have to lift the left foot, which can be frustrating. My cobra (560hp on 1800 LBS) was like that, despite the long ratio gearbox...
Old 04-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

As others have said, you have to decide what you want in a car. I have owned three 911s, including two turbos. The 991 turbo is a huge improvement over the 997 turbo, in every way that's important to me. It's the first 911 that I've owned that I haven't wanted to modify. I don't even know what I would change on the car; it already has everything that I want. The sound is not as loud as a normally aspirated car, but it still sounds very good. There are plenty of burbles and pops in sport mode, although they are a bit subdued compared to the normally aspirated cars. For me the turbo is the right choice for multiple reasons. The power is great, but I like the whole package; including the extra wide hips, the aggressive styling, etc.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

PDK is only option......................so no turbo for me...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Personal preference. For some(ME) the naturally aspirated engine is where it's at for a lot of driving fun. The sound and feel just do it. 0-60 tests not only get old but repeated enjoyment will also result in tickets.... once you get caught.

No question the TURBO and 17 turbos are faster but how often are you maxing out the performance in what you have?

Grass can always look greener.

Thats my conjecture. YMMV.
I have to agree. I owned a beautiful 997.1 Turbo cab and found exactly that - the 0-60 hits got old. And I had an incredible number of speeding tickets. It just got ridiculous.

So far I am enjoying less powerful cars as I like to keep the revs up in the 4500 - 6000 range and I get to shift a lot (PDK in manual mode). It may be a "phase I'm going through" and it's not that I'll never get back into a turbo etc... it's just that for a sports car that is built for ripping around corners I prefer to have less power and work the car. I'm down to 275 hp and if I want to pass someone I have to downshift and punch it. What a riot! And I still end up going "impound the car" too fast!

So my advice? Go wash that beautiful car you have. Make it look as good as it can be and you'll probably stop drooling on turbos.

But then again, all this being is said by a guy whose's on his 7th Porsche and looked at another this weekend. In other words, my opinion is just that and you should go and drive a turbo to see for yourself!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:05 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked my Turbo, but didn't love it. If you put on an Europipe exhaust, the sound is pretty good.

Like others have said here, I find it more fun rolling through the gears.

Another reason I didn't look at the Turbo is that there is no manual option.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I never thought I would say this...

but the 991 Turbo has too much power for everyday driving on city streets. My buddy and I traded cars for a few days. He has a 991.2 Turbo with PDK and I have a .2S with 7M.

I was very happy to get my car back and find it more fun to drive as a DD.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. No right or wrong answers in this bunch.

For me, the Turbo is where my tickle spot is. Having come from 3 MT NA cars, the last being a 997 GT3, I found the practicality of a rev-to-enjoy car becoming less and less pleasing on the street.. where torque is king!

I enjoyed my first Turbo so much I now have a Turbo S on the way. IMO it's a true wolf in sheep's clothing DD.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM
JawJuh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
I really love my 911s. I am seriously considering trading for a Turbo. But I think I will really miss the PSE. I love the pops gurgles etc. I would love to get you guys' opinions. Would I really miss the PSE or will the features of a Turbo outweigh the loss. You Turbo owners please weigh in here.
I know this is sacrilege on Rennlist, but try McLaren 570S before you spend money on the Turbo. Carbon fiber tub and much more free-revving engine make it a clearly better car. I drove a few laps around Alpharetta golf club and up and down 400, and came away VERY impressed. Since it is same price as a Porsche Turbo S, it is the best price / performance package too.

I needed an office commuter that doesn't get keyed, so ended up getting C2S. But for a weekend ride I would recommend McLaren with no reservations.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:07 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by JawJuh
I know this is sacrilege on Rennlist, but try McLaren 570S before you spend money on the Turbo. Carbon fiber tub and much more free-revving engine make it a clearly better car. I drove a few laps around Alpharetta golf club and up and down 400, and came away VERY impressed. Since it is same price as a Porsche Turbo S, it is the best price / performance package too.

I needed a office commuter that doesn't get keyed, so ended up getting C2S. But for a weekend ride I would recommend McLaren with no reservations.
While it may be a nice car.. IMO it's a bit to much showboat.

For the same money I'm quite content flying under the radar in my Turbo without screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!" everywhere I go if I was in a Mac.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
While it may be a nice car.. IMO it's a bit to much showboat.

For the same money I'm quite content flying under the radar in my Turbo without screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!" everywhere I go if I was in a Mac.
+1

Mclaren owners have suffered from horrendous reliability issues too. It may be a great performer, but it can't touch the 911 when it comes to performance AND reliability.

Quick Reply: Opinions....