Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 991.1 GTS and I do really love the car, but there is just something about the 991.2 "Base" car that is so attractive. Part of my thinking is due to the fact that I also have a low option '96 993 C2, which, except for the darn sunroof, feels simple and pure. And I drive it a lot more often than the newer GTS.

When I get to the point where I can no longer keep up with two 911s, which is not that far off, I can easily see opting for a very low option base 911: I would go for the 4-way sport seats plus, keep the standard base brakes because unless you drive very hard on track they are more than enough, skip the sunroof, $5k audio system, be very happy with 19" wheels, etc.

Why would the above make any sense to someone who went nuts optioning a 991.1 GTS, and who then spent another $10k doing everything possible to make it go faster and handle better, like: Cobb AP and pro-tune of the maps at Fabspeed, DSC and fully adjustable F and R anti-sway bars, maxed out negative camber, aftermarket X-pipe exhaust, and now seriously thinking about sending the PDK ECU to Germany for significant "upgrades?" The answer, I'm almost afraid to admit, is that I'm chasing something that is so far beyond my needs and abilities, because I just cannot help myself. It must be a little like crack; I can't get enough and I can't stop. Sure, I go to DE events, and the car is very fast, though I know that I am not.

You might very well think I'm recommending the base car for you because it's something that I know I should do for my next 911. I'd have to agree, but I truly believe it really is the best 911 for most of us, especially someone like me. It is hard to do when you can afford more, but simplicity can be a sublime pleasure. I only wish there were someone around who could hold me to this, because I bet I'd be much more content.

Best of luck to you. Please show us your car when you get it, whatever you decide.

Last edited by kwikit356; 04-08-2017 at 02:19 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 04-08-2017, 06:17 AM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

you cant get rear axle steering on the base, one of the main reasons i bought the S. and i have no regrets, its a fast car!
Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
I have a 991.1 GTS and I do really love the car, but there is just something about the 991.2 "Base" car that is so attractive. Part of my thinking is due to the fact that I also have a low option '96 993 C2, which, except for the darn sunroof, feels simple and pure. And I drive it a lot more often than the newer GTS.

When I get to the point where I can no longer keep up with two 911s, which is not that far off, I can easily see opting for a very low option base 911: I would go for the 4-way sport seats plus, keep the standard base brakes because unless you drive very hard on track they are more than enough, skip the sunroof, $5k audio system, be very happy with 19" wheels, etc.

Why would the above make any sense to someone who went nuts optioning a 991.1 GTS, and who then spent another $10k doing everything possible to make it go faster and handle better, like: Cobb AP and pro-tune of the maps at Fabspeed, DSC and fully adjustable F and R anti-sway bars, maxed out negative camber, aftermarket X-pipe exhaust, and now seriously thinking about sending the PDK ECU to Germany for significant "upgrades?" The answer, I'm almost afraid to admit, is that I'm chasing something that is so far beyond my needs and abilities, because I just cannot help myself. It must be a little like crack; I can't get enough and I can't stop. Sure, I go to DE events, and the car is very fast, though I know that I am not.

You might very well think I'm recommending the base car for you because it's something that I know I should do for my next 911. I'd have to agree, but I truly believe it really is the best 911 for most of us, especially someone like me. It is hard to do when you can afford more, but simplicity can be a sublime pleasure. I only wish there were someone around who could hold me to this, because I bet I'd be much more content.

Best of luck to you. Please show us your car when you get it, whatever you decide.
Your post makes a lot of sense, and I feel the same way. Nearly pulled the trigger on a very basic .2, but decided that a few more options would complete the package. So Bose, and the Premium package were must haves. I know how good the vented seats are from my Cayenne, and thought I'd be pissed at not getting a heated steering wheel. Those and a few more nice options added about 10k to my MSRP over the stripper. Result is perfection for me. Don't need faster- it's a hoot out of the box, as is. Doing break in now, so not pushing it at all.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:55 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Also consider that these new turbos change the long standing thought that you should always get the S. In the NA world generating more power cost $ but in the turbo world getting that extra 50HP is only a $1000 tune. Of course that might mess with your warranty. But from here on out Porsche is going to very easily generate more powerful 911s and very cheaply by doing their own tunes.

For the first time I could easily see getting a base and then in 2-3 years when you want more power just do a tune on the base for 450hp+.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a base with the intention of tuning. No need to waste money. It is not going to be difficult to outperform a GTS for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:43 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
I bought a base with the intention of tuning. No need to waste money. It is not going to be difficult to outperform a GTS for a fraction of the cost.
Sticky - you can't get RAS on a base model and you can't get it in the aftermarket - this imparts a far greater performance difference than 50HP/50Nm Also you can't get PTV/E-LSD on the base model - E-PTV, PDK, RAS, PDCC, SPASM and SC work together to deliver max performance in the corners, which is where you make most of your time on track
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Based on the description of your driving needs, the base seems like it would be more than enough. What doesn't make sense, as others have pointed out, is to add 5k in upgrades from an S on a base car. The difference between the two would only be about 8k at that point and the value of the S model will always be higher than the base when it comes time to sell or trade-in.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed. That was a dumb idea and it off the table.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Sticky - you can't get RAS on a base model and you can't get it in the aftermarket - this imparts a far greater performance difference than 50HP/50Nm Also you can't get PTV/E-LSD on the base model - E-PTV, PDK, RAS, PDCC, SPASM and SC work together to deliver max performance in the corners, which is where you make most of your time on track
You are quite right about the RAS. If this is big for you, definitely go for the S. I'm more concerned with power and after seat time I really like how pure the 911 C2 feels as far as 911 chassis dynamics.

The E-LSD is something else to consider although track guys will probably be upgrading the differential anyway. The same with the suspension.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 210 Posts

You really should test drive both. I did back to back, twice. Bought a base.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelB
You really should test drive both. I did back to back, twice. Bought a base.

I also went with a base but never drove an S. Personally I liked the 19" wheels and I put RE-71's on them. I liked the base wheels the best.

BUT.........what did you think of the S vs base ?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......