Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 03:04 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......

OK I know the Base Vs S topic has been discussed before but I'd like to ask your opinions on my version.

After hours and hours and hours on the configerator I find myself consistently building two almost identical cars. A 991.2 Base and a 991.2 S.

The ONLY differences between these two builds are that the S has 50 more HP, bigger brakes, SPASM and it cost about $13,000 more.

The third option I am thinking about is to get the Base and then add S brakes from Suncoast and lower springs which I am thinking will add about $5,000 to the cost of the base. (I'd have the calipers powder-coated some color other than red, most likely gloss black.)

Money/cost is not really a huge factor for me in this choice compared to some of my other thoughts.....

I currently have a 16 Base and the lease will be up in January. I have AX'd it multiple times and DE'd it once. I've had a blast but I am slow. This car is way faster than I will ever be. The new 991.2 Base is faster still. So does it make sense to even consider the S?

or

Since I already have a Base, shouldn't I at the very least move up to an S for my next car? Especially since I dig the bigger brakes and lower stance of the SPASM.

or

I have a habit of modifying my vehicles and I think subtle custom cars are cool. A Base with bigger brakes (black) and a slightly lower stance would for the most part go unnoticed by all but those with a well trained eye and it has the advantage of a very under stressed engine with the least turbo lag of the line.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on what you wrote you don't need the power from the S. The base will be faster than what you have now and you can fix the items that you'd like from the S via aftermarket. You only need to upgrade the front brakes. The rears are identical on S and Base.

Test drive both the base and the S back to back. You are going to order a car and not buy off the lot, it shouldn't be too hard for your dealer to make this test drive happen. It's the only way you'll know what YOU like. No one here can decide that for you.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

My thought. If you can afford the S, go for it. No one has ever said, man, I wish I had less HP. In the end, it will always be worth more than a base so you are really not "spending more".

Lastly, if you have to ask, you have doubts. Go for the S.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

No question go for the S. But that's just me If I was buying a CPO I would much prefer a stock S instead of a modded Base. In case you are thinking of resale.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
In case you are thinking of resale.
I assumed he was leasing since he mentioned his current one is leased.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:12 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

You really don't want to start changing springs and brakes on a lease car for any of a number of reasons. The cost advantage of the base car disappears once you option it extensively. The final argument against the S is price which is not a major consideration for you. Get the S to your specifications.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am shocked no one recommended a GTS, GT3, TT, TTS yet...

Go GTS!

Seriously now, I would only go with the base if you want it for what it is (a lot of car) and don't try too hard to make it a "cheaper S", if you are leaning to the later, go the "S" route and be done with it
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd

Money/cost is not really a huge factor for me in this choice compared to some of my other thoughts.....
Thanks
If money is no object, why not get a TTS?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

991.2 brakes are improved already. Based on your needs I'd recommend the base to you and determine the need for brakes later. New base is light years faster.

emotionally, get the S or GtS!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:18 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

If money is not a significant consideration, the S is the obvious choice. Why not? The only downside compared to the base is cost. If the extra cost does not seem worthwhile, the base is a perfectly logical choice if used as purchased. What does not seem even slightly logical to me, is to buy the base and then spend 5K to add some S features.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
If money is not a significant consideration, the S is the obvious choice. Why not? The only downside compared to the base is cost. If the extra cost does not seem worthwhile, the base is a perfectly logical choice if used as purchased. What does not seem even slightly logical to me, is to buy the base and then spend 5K to add some S features.
I agree with this.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Get the S.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a base 991.2. I autocross it. Used to have a 997.2 GT3 that I autocrossed around the country on Hoosiers, because I'm a little crazy.

Get the base. Don't change the brakes......that's really silly IMO and a waste of money.
The base has a nicer ride, or so it would make sense because you can get the 19" wheels and it only has regular PASM. So, I would think for street driving it's smoother.

I put Bridgestone RE-71R's on my stock 19" wheels and have the stock Advans sitting in the garage. You need to test drive both cars.
991.2 base was fast enough for me.

But whatever you do, again IMO........don't waste money changing brakes.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the S. Why bother getting the base, only to turn right around and spend a chunk of dough turning it into an S with 50 less hp. If you want S features.. buy the S car.

Granted you can't go wrong getting the base car either. There will always be something faster, better, more expensive. The real end goal to have a car that you truly enjoy and that leaves with you with no regrets after spending that much money. From everything I've heard the base is actually a lot more fun to drive, because you can actually use most of the power on the street. The S is being touted as so fast, its simply silly to try and wind it out on public streets. You are asking for trouble with that much power.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anybody here "needs" the S. The power differences are minuscule at best, the difference isn't worth even talking about, and certainly not the price difference. Of course there are people with different opinions, but if you just do the blind test and get into two cars, one S one non-S, you very likely won't be able to tell the difference by just driving them around on a test drive (longer or shorter).

So you'll have to make your own decision on whether the badge is worth it for you for whatever reason that nobody here can tell you whether it makes sense for you.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......