Sponsored by:

Lettering (and/or sticker) removal pro tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

thanks stormRune!

i figure if your going to modify badging to these nice cars, the badging has to be applied in a way that the dealer does it with respect to proper kerning, spacing, alignment + negative spacing....

Originally Posted by StormRune
myw has provided excellent guidance in his posts just above and I certainly can't do better than that, but I did do a little comparison test for you (I'm stuck at home sick and a little bored... then I saw another post you made and thought of doing this!).

Comparing your letter placement to ones still on the sheet in the factory orientation (which agrees with the images myw shows), you can see there are small orientation and spacing differences in general. However, you can especially see your 9 is rotated counterclockwise causing it to be taller.
The orange lines I've photoshopped on the image are aligned with the front edge of the 9s in both cases making the rotation difference very evident. Also as myw pointed out the spacing between letters is a little larger.

Again, you really did do a great job free-handing it and most people will never notice anything unusual. It's certainly up to you as to whether you decide to change it or not.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
this should help you

some guidelines for an oem '911' badging job
============================
- the height of oem 991 sized badging is 7/8" high (if you mask it at that height with painters tape it'll guarantee you get the proper oem 911 'slant' properly.
- the 911 itself 2+3/4" inches wide (make the markings on the painters tape to make sure you 'lock' the overall width)
- before measuring and applying painters tape and or removing the 911 adhesive from the back, ALWAYS do a quick test fit and just stick the 911 logo on the back of your car with clear tape. stand back from afar (a car length or two) and see if the overall height of the badging feels natural/oem. this way you may realize that your badging is too low/too high and you can mark the exact height you feel looks oem/the best. use the details in the taillights as a guide to measure height, and be sure to compare carefully with photos of other 991's with the badging that you want to emulate (ideally cars that have had the dealer apply the badging, so you're following an oem example)
- try your best to ensure the gap spacing between 9+1, and 1+1 is pretty much the same.

- before removing the rear adhesive and after most of the measurements + painters tape has been applied, do a test fit as best you can with the clear tape to hold the badging in place. add whatever markings to the painters tape so you know the final placements of the letters.

ignore my 'PORSCHE' badging below as well as my Red S, but the '911' approach is the same.

some notes here re applying '911'
https://rennlist.com/g/picture/3372548

i put an album up help other 997 owners apply badging, a lot of the theory is the same regardless of which 911. all my oem measurements were taken off a friends 991.
https://rennlist.com/g/album/3372540

below are some photos to help illustrate what i mean via painters tape to lock the height, marking the tape to lock the correct width,exact same spacing between the numbers, using clear tape for 'test fits' + the final product itself

extremely useful. Will keep it as a reference when I change my badging to just 911 and maybe add an S as well

Quick Reply: Lettering (and/or sticker) removal pro tip