Oil Temp after Oil Change and Some Other Notes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Oil Temp after Oil Change and Some Other Notes

Hi Rennlisters,

I picked up my 2014 991.1 C4S from the dealer's service center today. They did an oil change in addition to some warranty items (A/C, trim related, not related to engine).

My drive back is about 27 miles, and what I noticed was oil doesn't come up to temperature as quickly as it did in the past. For at least a good 5-7 miles, it was way below 120, and maybe at about 10 miles into the trip or so it came up to 170, and stayed there. (2-2.5k rpm highway cruising) Normally this car fairly quickly warms up to about 190-200 oil temp. What was somewhat more weird was every now and then it was slowly moving up to 180 ish area, and when I lift off from gas, it'd drop back down to 170-165. I don't remember a lift off reaction in oil temp before.

Anyways, after a while, I lost patience and stepped on it do a few low to high rpm highway pulls, which brought the temp at about 190-195, and it seemed to have stabilized there, even after I slowed down. Normally, spirited driving is above 200.

So wondering if this sounds familiar to anybody, maybe w the oil change now the oil volume is a touch higher, and it takes longer to warm up, or runs cooler? Another risk would be the dealer using the wrong oil, which would really suck -- will check w them what they used.

Separately, it seems like they've put on 22 miles on the car, from Thurs to today. Sounded a bit excessive to me for a test drive. Do you think that's reasonable?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me, I've never had something like that happen after a change. Does the oil measurement feature indicate an overfill?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Doesn't sound right to me, I've never had something like that happen after a change. Does the oil measurement feature indicate an overfill?
Oil measurement feature says "oil level OK". It's about two ticks higher than when I left it (so I guess I had one fifths before, which was OK, now it's three fifths, which is I guess more ideal, still OK).
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Sounds normal to me. My car's oil runs cooler immediately after an oil change, for the next several hundred miles.

I seriously doubt they used a non A40 Porsche approved oil.

Not sure why they drove 22 miles. Good question to ask your Service Adviser.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by erko1905
Oil measurement feature says "oil level OK". It's about two ticks higher than when I left it (so I guess I had one fifths before, which was OK, now it's three fifths, which is I guess more ideal, still OK).
Hmm I wonder if I just haven't seen that because I don't let mine get down to one fifth?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

So before the oil change, you were 4 bars below full? FYI- that's about 1.6 liters down. Not surprised it's runner cooler now.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
So before the oil change, you were 4 bars below full? FYI- that's about 1.6 liters down. Not surprised it's runner cooler now.
I think he was 3 below because the top fifth is over the optimal level. Still, I think people forget it's a flat 6 and you really need to check and (if needed) top off the oil regularly, it burns a little oil by design.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Ok good to hear. I guess more and new oil running cooler does make sense.

Yeah so out of the 5 bars (the line between 4 and 5 being tagged as "max" and the line below 1 being tagged as "min") I was at 1 bar full, after oil change we're at 3 bars full.

I might've been a bit late on this oil change admittedly (maybe ~7.5k miles or so since last one). Agreed the oil should've been topped off.

Sent an email to the SA about the 22 miles, see what he says. Somewhat unrelated (but maybe not) when they had this car for sale, it was listed online at 8700 miles or so, and when i test drove it, it was at 9600 miles, so I asked them w t f was up, and I think back then they said something like their sales manager drove it during that time or whatever. They're not really the cream of the NJ Porsche dealers - I'd been using them mainly due to convenience (they're storing tires for me for free and I literally have zero space) but yeah maybe not the best judgment on my part.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

They ran to philly to get some cheese steaks for lunch.

If they did not "top off" the oil for you after the service they are not doing you any favors.

With the service computer hooked up they can direct read the level to get it right w/o waiting for the entire warm up ritual we DIY'er have to do.

A proper new oil fill should be "A" when warm.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

So it wasn't the cheese steaks, even though it's always worth a quick run for a cheese steak -- they had to drive it around to figure out the A/C issue, which does make some sense I guess since the A/C wasn't blowing any hot air regardless of temperature chosen - they might've tried to drive the car around to see if it starts working after warming up or something, or attempt a fix and see if it worked? Will have to let it slide.

Never really dropped the car off there for anything other than putting the winters a while back so they really wouldntve had a chance to top up oil - but that much i should be able to monitor/do myself in all fairness --- right after brand new oil change, i'm at a tick below A
Old 03-29-2017, 11:26 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

i'm at a tick below A
You are good to go..... I wouldn't touch it.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

So it wasn't the cheese steaks, even though it's always worth a quick run for a cheese steak -- they had to drive it around to figure out the A/C issue, which does make some sense I guess since the A/C wasn't blowing any hot air regardless of temperature chosen - they might've tried to drive the car around to see if it starts working after warming up or something, or attempt a fix and see if it worked? Will have to let it slide.

Never really dropped the car off there for anything other than putting the winters a while back so they really wouldntve had a chance to top up oil - but that much i should be able to monitor/do myself in all fairness --- right after brand new oil change, i'm at a tick below A
Changeover valves are your liked culprit. They should know that. Search here for more info.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Changeover valves are your liked culprit. They should know that. Search here for more info.
Yeah exactly - it was the changeover valve(s). They did not know that until they figured it out.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp after Oil Change and Some Other Notes