Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIAC software released for 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

OT, I had a new Ferrari and put 25k miles on it in 5 years. Parts and maintenance are astronomical relative to Porsche.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:56 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Would love to hear a review of the drivability. GIAC is not known for smoothness vs factory on high end, complex cars. I have no experience with them on Porsche but can rattle off a handful of other cars where peak hp may have gone up but drivability, idle rpm and smoothness all went downhill and in some cases lost midrange power.

On a 991.2, I'd recommend a boost and AFR gauge of some kind to keep an eye on things if you start playing with the ECU.

if you blow the welds on the intake manifold you'll me hearing this from your SA, "Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried!"

Best way to do these tunes... live life one quarter mile at a time. For 10 seconds or less you're free.
'Would love to hear a review of the drivability'. Drivability is as smooth as stock form-litterally. The only difference is an increased feel of torque and power.

Your basing your knowledge? Please send a review or article that supports your statement "GIAC is not known for smoothness vs factory on high end, complex cars".

And yes please rattle off your list if you would in regards to: "I have no experience with them on Porsche but can rattle off a handful of other cars where peak hp may have gone up but drivability, idle rpm and smoothness all went downhill and in some cases lost midrange power."

The 991.2 already has a boost gauge, from an engineering standpoint(yes I have a degree) 2 psi of additional boost harming the new 9A2 motor is more than laughable.

"if you blow the welds on the intake manifold you'll me hearing this from your SA, Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried!"
This may be the most uninformed phrase in your entire post. Do you know how much boost you would need to 'blow' an intake manifold?

There are two kinds of people on this forum, fact based and opinion based. It sure doesn't take long to figure out who's who.

Last edited by mac10; 05-16-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
'Would love to hear a review of the drivability'. Drivability is as smooth as stock form-litterally. The only difference is an increased feel of torque and power.

Your basing your knowledge? Please send a review or article that supports your statement "GIAC is not known for smoothness vs factory on high end, complex cars".

And yes please rattle off your list if you would in regards to: "I have no experience with them on Porsche but can rattle off a handful of other cars where peak hp may have gone up but drivability, idle rpm and smoothness all went downhill and in some cases lost midrange power."

The 991.2 already has a boost gauge, from an engineering standpoint(yes I have a degree) 2 pounds of additional boost harming the new 9A2 motor is more than laughable.

"if you blow the welds on the intake manifold you'll me hearing this from your SA, Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried!"
This may be the most uninformed phrase in your entire post. Do you know how much boost you would need to 'blow the welds' on an intake manifold?

There are two kinds of people on this forum, fact based and opinion based. It sure doesn't take long to figure out who's who.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

If you were an engineer and had an understanding of Porsche design you would know there are no welds on the intake manifolds and would have laughed at the reference....

Get over yourself.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10

The 991.2 already has a boost gauge, from an engineering standpoint(yes I have a degree) 2 pounds of additional boost harming the new 9A2 motor is more than laughable.

This may be the most uninformed phrase in your entire post. Do you know how much boost you would need to 'blow the welds' on an intake manifold?

Where does this "2 pounds of additional boost" come from? The claimed additional power and torque would likely require 5-7 psi more boost.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

He has a boost gauge so in addition to his paper that says engineers know everything...

You can get a lot of power from a couple extra psi however - its not safe or good power since to get those gains you would need:
a.) more boost
b.) not that much boost but undesirable timing, fuel, air, etc.

My 3.8 will make 1000+hp with the right tune... once.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

He has a boost gauge so in addition to his paper that says engineers know everything...

You can get a lot of power from a couple extra psi however - its not safe or good power since to get those gains you would need:
a.) more boost
b.) not that much boost but undesirable timing, fuel, air, etc.

My 3.8 will make 1000+hp with the right tune... once.
I don't think so, as most non-turbocharged engines have trouble achieving additional power with just a tune.

A mere 2 psi increase in boost, would produce only about a 6 percent increase in airflow through the engine. I suspect that's worth no more than 25-30 hp and lb-ft. Way less of an increase than GIAC is claiming.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I don't think so, as most non-turbocharged engines have trouble achieving additional power with just a tune.

A mere 2 psi increase in boost, would produce only about a 6 percent increase in airflow through the engine. I suspect that's worth no more than 25-30 hp and lb-ft. Way less of an increase than GIAC is claiming.
I bet the engineer can make us a PPt to explain.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Typical. Exactly what I expected. No facts to back up anything... just more blah blah blah.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The other thing to consider here is that Porsche spent thousands of hours to carefully calibrate the 991.2 carerra to be as lag-free as possible, and it and the 488 are special because of that extra engineering expense.

If you tune your 991.2, I guarantee that in addition to significant power increases, you'll also introduce significant turbo lag to your car.
Have you actually looked at the torque curve? What are you talking about?

All the tune does is shift the curve up. The spool is still the same why is there more lag? Where is this lag? Why would there be more lag? Did the turbo hardware suddenly change with a tune or are the impellers just spinning harder?

These people... wow.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Foot feel is more sensitive to lag than a dyno curve. Achieving peak torque at a lower rpm, is not the same as power arriving as soon as you depress the accelerator.

You will increase the lag with a tune, guaranteed. But you'll also get big power. Just a matter of priorities.

I'm very sensitive to lag, which is one of the reasons I drive a NA GT3.
This post gave me cancer.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Actually, there is plenty of turbo lag around 2000 rpm. At 3000, there isn't much and if you really don't want to feel any turbo lag, you have to keep the revs above 4000.
Got the telemetry mate, its a non event it really is I could put up a plot of boost relative to throttle % or rpm - its a waste of time as people aren't really interested in facts. The lack of torque below 4000 rpm is very, very noticeable in any of the NA cars. I have both.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Is there a 991.2 GTS tune from GIAC? I have had their products on my previous 911 turbos and they have all been great.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by randr
Got the telemetry mate, its a non event it really is I could put up a plot of boost relative to throttle % or rpm - its a waste of time as people aren't really interested in facts. The lack of torque below 4000 rpm is very, very noticeable in any of the NA cars. I have both.
According to a Porsche engineer, as quoted by Car and Driver, there's two seconds of lag at 2000 rpm.

Perhaps two seconds is a non-event to you, but some of us are more perceptive.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Really need a 991.2 forum. I'm happy that you have your GT3 allocations guys, I know the feeling from my previous GT cars. Sometimes it's the best part due to the excitement/anticipation.

But seriously why are you posting in this thread about a 991.2 and a boosted engine?

Can a moderator please move or clean up all the GT3 and Fast and the furious crap that has nothing to do with the topic or contribute anything worthwhile or positive to this thread?

Quick Reply: GIAC software released for 991.2 S