GIAC software released for 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
Sorry, but this is incorrect.

While altitude does have some impact on turbo performance, properly implemented turbos are designed specifically to avoid performance loss at higher altitudes. Turbos were first invented to allow piston engine airplanes to fly at higher altitudes when NA engines simply could not draw in enough oxygen to produce adequate power.

Thus, NA cars will show far more variation in runs in Denver vs. Atlanta than will turbo cars.
I'm stating that turbo cars perform BETTER at higher altitude.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I knew what you were getting at, but I think you typoed.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Boosted cars will have even more variation...

Take a turbo car and comparing in Denver vs Atlanta for example. Climate and altitude alone will make a >10% power deviation.
The magazines, at least the better ones, perform a weather correction to minimize the variation in performance due to atmospheric conditions. The correction is never perfect, but it removes the majority of the variability.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Yes! I am loving my 991.2 in Colorado. It may sound like a vacuum, but that's the sound of sucking extra air into the engine.

Around here, the fun roads start at 8000 ft, and top out at 12,000 ft. Your NA motor might sound better, but you are down 24 to 36% on horsepower compared to stated (sea level) specs.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:05 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
That's how the kids are nowadays man. The 3.0T may be dropping off by 6000 RPM while the GT3 motor is just getting started, but it doesn't even matter because they've all already lost interest and gone off to look for Pokemons. It's all about instant gratification, PDK transmissions you don't have to take the time to learn, motors that produce torque right away without having to explore the power curve. Porsche understands this and builds a car perfect for the impatient generation.
Dude Chill out. The 991.2 GTS is simply terrific regardless of what kind of engine is back there. Get in a drive one - .2 is superior in every way although there is nothing not to love about the 991.1 - super machine too. Your remarks above are not necessary and seem a little bitter. Have you actually driven a .2?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Dude Chill out. The 991.2 GTS is simply terrific regardless of what kind of engine is back there. Get in a drive one - .2 is superior in every way although there is nothing not to love about the 991.1 - super machine too. Your remarks above are not necessary and seem a little bitter. Have you actually driven a .2?
Haha nope, I don't need to drive it to know it's an amazing car, same with the Turbo. They're just not what I'm looking for. I'm not really all that bitter, especially now that they make the car I really want in manual.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Take your car to the track and try to match the magazine time and you will see what I mean. People are always quick to say my car runs this or does that because they read it on a magazine. Not real, take your car to the track and see what it runs. Yes you are correct we can't compare different track because weather and elevation make a big difference but it's the only war to truly know how fast or quick your car is.
I completely agree with this statement. As the owner and driver of the car(991.2 C4S)that posted my slip recently of 11.1 @123mph(in another post) I can tell you that since that post here(and on a few other websites) many street drag racers of Porsche's(and a few other top tier street cars) tell me that its extremely difficult if not impossible to match many of the popular magazines quarter mile times. Most tracks around the country offer 'street nights', I'd love to see some comparative time slips posted.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Do you have a slip from a track with a base.2?
No just going by what I dyno'd it at and the comparisons I've done with cars on the street.

I'll take it to the track once tuned. Unfortunately, there aren't any good tracks in SoCal. I'll have to make the trip to Famoso which is a hell of a drive.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

It's not. Debatable aROUND a track but a GTS 3.8 traps much higher.
Based on what? Having far less torque and area under the curve?

Every naturally aspirated 991.1 I've run I have crushed. I don't know what you are basing higher trap speed on. Less power and torque? That makes sense.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

I'd expect much higher traps for close to 100 extra bhp - that was one of my data points for questioning the tune. Maybe it gets off the line slower with a computer struggling to manage the newfound power.... but once the car gets rolling - trap speed is a big indicator of power. 991.1 C2S can trap 120 and a little change...
How the hell is 122+ slow? He's on the verge of 10's. I don't think you understand the torque curve. Did you bother looking at a graph?

He is picking up over half a second from magazine times which are not even comparable as they are using GPS and not timing equipment which averages the trap speed.

Clearly the torque gain down low is huge. GIAC's dyno graph for the C2 confirms this. Do you just enjoy pulling things out of thin air?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Banned

If anyone with a 991.1 GTS in SoCal wants to see the difference for themselves, PM me. It will be a humbling experience.

Better than trying to magazine race...
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
How the hell is 122+ slow? He's on the verge of 10's. I don't think you understand the torque curve. Did you bother looking at a graph?

He is picking up over half a second from magazine times which are not even comparable as they are using GPS and not timing equipment which averages the trap speed.

Clearly the torque gain down low is huge. GIAC's dyno graph for the C2 confirms this. Do you just enjoy pulling things out of thin air?
Just realized this today... I ran that time(11.1) with my aftermarket 21" Pure Wheels. I am wondering if the stock 20's would net a faster result or higher trap speed? Might be fun to try again and compare.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky

Never said it was slow.... I said that if the tune gained nearly 100hp as claimed then you'd expect a lot higher than stock hp trap speeds.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
Just realized this today... I ran that time(11.1) with my aftermarket 21" Pure Wheels. I am wondering if the stock 20's would net a faster result or higher trap speed? Might be fun to try again and compare.
your 21's are definitely holding you back. I'm pretty confident with stock 20's you will break into the 10's.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25
your 21's are definitely holding you back. I'm pretty confident with stock 20's you will break into the 10's.
+1

Quick Reply: GIAC software released for 991.2 S