Sponsored by:

GIAC software released for 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:04 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
Amazed because it sounds like a bunch of old men afraid to touch their precious cars.

I'll be tuning mine ASAP. The engine is easily good for a few hundred more whp.

Exact same internals for the Carrera, S, and GTS and the GTS comes with larger turbos Porsche knows people will tune to 550+. It's one of the reasons to buy the package IMO unless you want even more power which I certainly do.

Enjoy your warranties I guess.
I completely agree. Some folks even throwing in non-tune related issues that came up after the tune. My advice is to stay away from companies that do not have longevity in the business and/or do not specialize in tuning.

I understand where the 'sensitive' warranty guys are coming from but the reality is , and I think we all agree the new 3.0 turbo is capable of much more than its current limits. Not sure which tune I will go with between GIAC and COBB(Leaning a bit more COBB right now, even though when I touched base yesterday they still cannot give an eta for their tune), but GIAC has been a tuner for Audi,VW, Porsche, BMW since the early 90's and have a solid reputation in both street and race application tuning. If their tunes were blowing up their customers cars they would not be around long.

Personally I think the crazier move is spending 6k for the factory Powerkit which adds a measly 30hp. You can all but guarantee that Porsche is going to be utilizing this powerplant for a while which means they have left room to 'boost it up'.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Amazed because it sounds like a bunch of old men .
If you're amazed obviously you haven't gone through the music recommendation thread.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dinan absolutely transformed my 09 M3- better throttle response and much smoother DCT shifts with much sharper handling- and not a problem in 8 years.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Amazed because it sounds like a bunch of old men afraid to touch their precious cars.

Exact same internals for the Carrera, S, and GTS and the GTS comes with larger turbos Porsche knows people will tune to 550+. It's one of the reasons to buy the package IMO unless you want even more power which I certainly do.

The warranty has substantial value. Not everyone can afford the risk of throwing it away without a second thought.

If you can afford to risk a $20K transmission or an engine that probably costs about as much to replace, then you can afford to buy a capital-T Turbo in the first place, no?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:27 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The warranty has substantial value. Not everyone can afford the risk of throwing it away without a second thought.

If you can afford to risk a $20K transmission or an engine that probably costs about as much to replace, then you can afford to buy a capital-T Turbo in the first place, no?
I understand what some of you are saying. My point is why come into a tuning thread to say I would never tune my cars because of warranty concerns.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So tune it. What's with the attitude?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
I completely agree. Some folks even throwing in non-tune related issues that came up after the tune. My advice is to stay away from companies that do not have longevity in the business and/or do not specialize in tuning.

I understand where the 'sensitive' warranty guys are coming from but the reality is , and I think we all agree the new 3.0 turbo is capable of much more than its current limits. Not sure which tune I will go with between GIAC and COBB(Leaning a bit more COBB right now, even though when I touched base yesterday they still cannot give an eta for their tune), but GIAC has been a tuner for Audi,VW, Porsche, BMW since the early 90's and have a solid reputation in both street and race application tuning. If their tunes were blowing up their customers cars they would not be around long.

Personally I think the crazier move is spending 6k for the factory Powerkit which adds a measly 30hp. You can all but guarantee that Porsche is going to be utilizing this powerplant for a while which means they have left room to 'boost it up'.
I would have opted for the power kit if I had the S and did not intend to do anything more than a tune as it's essentially Porsche changing the turbos for you with a factory warranty backing it.

However, as I intend to change the turbos myself for even bigger units I pocketed the change.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Probably but some people might want a lighter and RWD package. Nothing wrong with Turbo performance and almost $100k saved either.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
So tune it. What's with the attitude?
I already am. What's with the attitude of people emphatically saying don't tune it? Goes both ways.

Some people buy the cars specifically to tune them.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:49 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 125 Posts

Base Carrera tune available as of today....impressive numbers again!

"GIAC is proud to release GIAC engine performance software for the 991.2 Carrera! This calibration delivers peak-to-peak engine estimate gains of 62 hp and 111 ft/lb torque. Estimated crank power output is 446 horsepower and 474 ft/lbs of torque on 91 octane. The program offers smooth part throttle driving and gear transitions, but a substantial increase in power at full load."

Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 PM
pfl
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you share a dyno of whp from the tune on S?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pfl
Can you share a dyno of whp from the tune on S?
This is the only dyno: http://www.************.com/content....an-997-1-Turbo

Unfortunately, no torque curve included. I e-mailed GIAC asking for a direct Mustang to Mustang overlay.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

The other thing to consider here is that Porsche spent thousands of hours to carefully calibrate the 991.2 carerra to be as lag-free as possible, and it and the 488 are special because of that extra engineering expense.

If you tune your 991.2, I guarantee that in addition to significant power increases, you'll also introduce significant turbo lag to your car.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:59 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The other thing to consider here is that Porsche spent thousands of hours to carefully calibrate the 991.2 carerra to be as lag-free as possible, and it and the 488 are special because of that extra engineering expense.

If you tune your 991.2, I guarantee that in addition to significant power increases, you'll also introduce significant turbo lag to your car.
With just a tune, all of the hardware stays the same. Judging by the dyno plots, there will be no lag introduced.. If anything based off the most recent graph of the base 991.2, peak torque is achieved a few hundred rpm sooner, thus the car should feel less "laggy".

Even the S graph appears to achieve peak torque sooner, these things are packing a nice punch with just a flash. Can't wait to see what big turbos will push!

Quick Reply: GIAC software released for 991.2 S