Sponsored by:

Road trip - Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:56 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip - Colorado

A group of 8-10 guys (no wives) are meeting in Denver for a 3 day trip through the Rockies (coming from Chicago and Phoenix). Not much is set in stone. The goal is to do some spirited driving while taking in some great scenery and, just as important, to stay in nice hotels and enjoy the food and drinks by night. I spent a few hours mapping out some general routes that will land us in the following towns for happy hour:
Night 1 Downtown Denver (meeting point).
Night 2 Aspen
Night 3 Telluride
Night 4 Breckinridge
The advice I am seeking is mostly which hotels to look at (4-5 star) and any must hit bars/restaurants. The trip is in July so we are interested in being able to walk places after parking the cars for the night.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Denver night 1- Four seasons. New hotel with good valet area for your cars. Check out larimer square and make a reservation at Crimson room for cocktails. Tomayo for contemporary Mexican. Euclid hall for a big beer foodie place. Rioja for contemporary American. Edge in the Four seasons hotel has great steaks- bone in filet can't be beat. There is also a speakeasy lounge under larimer called the green russel- fronts as a smokehouse restaurant but speakeasy in the back. Make a reservation at all places- especially crimson and green russel.

Aspen night 2- st Regis would be the best place to stay. If you don't stay here double check that your hotel is not actually in Snowmass as it pops up with Aspen hotels.

Telluride night 3- my favorite town in all of Colorado. Hotel Telluride in the town is great but the larger 4/5 star hotels are a 15 min gondola ride away. Hotel Madeline would be my vote but lots of great options. Peaks Hotel is huge with big valet. Get a reservation at Allreds on the top of the gondola. Great view with some great food.

Breck- someone else can chime in here. Lots of tourists here so I try to avoid.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Great start. Thanks Buteo.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

If you are going as far as Telluride, you should detour just a bit to drive the Million Dollar Highway (US 550 between Ouray and Silverton). One of the most dramatic routes in the US, just keep you eyes on the road. Both Ouray and Silverton are worth stopping, and maybe lunch. Much better food in Durango (brew pubs, or good dining at Seasons, Ken & Sues, etc.). Stop and say hi.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,227 Likes on 773 Posts

Good suggestions above on Denver. I love Tamayo, and I agree that The Edge has great steaks. Uber is readily available in Denver too, so you can explore a little bit further than walking distance. There's a cool tapas place that's not too far from downtown called Linger.

Breck is very touristy. I was just there last weekend. A new distillery just opened called Breckenridge Distillery. It has great drinks and great food. It will also require an Uber ride from downtown, but it's worth it. Hearthstone is another place that's worth a try.

You should hit a few mountain passes driving from Breck back to Denver. I suggest Swan Mountain Pass, Loveland Pass, and Squaw Pass. Great drives! I would avoid the temptation to drive up to the top of Mt. Evans while you're on Squaw Pass Rd. The Mt. Evans road is the highest paved road in North America and its beautiful, but the asphalt tends to buckle a bit in the winter, so it's not a good road for Porsches. Are you driving your Porsches, or renting cars?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Good suggestions above on Denver. I love Tamayo, and I agree that The Edge has great steaks. Uber is readily available in Denver too, so you can explore a little bit further than walking distance. There's a cool tapas place that's not too far from downtown called Linger.

Breck is very touristy. I was just there last weekend. A new distillery just opened called Breckenridge Distillery. It has great drinks and great food. It will also require an Uber ride from downtown, but it's worth it. Hearthstone is another place that's worth a try.

You should hit a few mountain passes driving from Breck back to Denver. I suggest Swan Mountain Pass, Loveland Pass, and Squaw Pass. Great drives! I would avoid the temptation to drive up to the top of Mt. Evans while you're on Squaw Pass Rd. The Mt. Evans road is the highest paved road in North America and its beautiful, but the asphalt tends to buckle a bit in the winter, so it's not a good road for Porsches. Are you driving your Porsches, or renting cars?
Thanks again guys. Great info...
We will all be in our own cars. Combination of 991's, 997's and a couple Corvette guys.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The Ritz-Carlton in downtown Denver has an Elway's Steakhouse in the lobby. That's not a bad option either.

Also, for a more unique hotel, you might consider the Brown Palace. It's a cool place with neat history, and it has a great cigar bar. It's walking distance from lots of restaurants.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I would stay in Vail instead of Breck. It's getting more touristy, but still less so. It's also FAR more walkable. Plenty of places to stay that are 5 star. Ritz is one, there are others. When in Breck, everything is so spread out. Vail is Vail Village or Lionshead. Bus runs between them, but you can walk it in about 10 minutes. If you are in Vail Village, not much reason to leave unless there is something specific you want. Everything there from pub grub to high end fine dining.

It's only 45 minutes west, so won't kill your travel plans.

We go to Vail every summer and drive through Breck on our way there. Vail is laid out more like Aspen and more like a European ski town. First time I took my wife there she said "I feel like I'm back in Austria" (Army brat grew up in Germany). Nachos at Red Lion are a must!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Stop in Glenwood Springs on your way to Aspen. Great beer and chicken wings at Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company.

In Denver my favorite spots are:

Fruition (fine dining)
Denver Biscuit Company (breakfast)
Peets (early AM coffee)
Snooze (breakfast)
Panzano (Italian)
ChoLon (ecletic Asian)
Cherry Creek Grill (awesome upscale casual dining)
5280 Burger Bar (beer & burgers....great ice cream store attached, too)
Little Man Ice Cream (ice cream shop right by Linger....also a good dining spot)

Have fun. I envy your trip.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

The St Regis in Aspen is obviously a 5 star hotel but when the Ferrari club goes to Aspen we stay at the limelighthotels.com The St. Regis has a terrible driveway leading into the parking garage. Most of the Ferraris bottom out and scrape the heck out of the front spoiler. Porsches sit higher so depending on which cars are in your group the St Regis may not be problem.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Other Tips:

1) Tire plug kit and pliers
2) Make sure you have access to some emergency spare tires, if the need arises. Tire Rack. Old one in the garage/crawl space. Something like that.
3) Porsche dealership phone numbers along your route pre-programed into your cell phone
Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Denver night 1- Four seasons. New hotel with good valet area for your cars. Check out larimer square and make a reservation at Crimson room for cocktails. Tomayo for contemporary Mexican. Euclid hall for a big beer foodie place. Rioja for contemporary American. Edge in the Four seasons hotel has great steaks- bone in filet can't be beat. There is also a speakeasy lounge under larimer called the green russel- fronts as a smokehouse restaurant but speakeasy in the back. Make a reservation at all places- especially crimson and green russel.

Aspen night 2- st Regis would be the best place to stay. If you don't stay here double check that your hotel is not actually in Snowmass as it pops up with Aspen hotels.

Telluride night 3- my favorite town in all of Colorado. Hotel Telluride in the town is great but the larger 4/5 star hotels are a 15 min gondola ride away. Hotel Madeline would be my vote but lots of great options. Peaks Hotel is huge with big valet. Get a reservation at Allreds on the top of the gondola. Great view with some great food.

Breck- someone else can chime in here. Lots of tourists here so I try to avoid.
Nice post! If I wasn't so far away I'd join you guys.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Second Cherry Creek in Denver.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Actually the JW Marriott in Cherry Creek is not a bad hotel, and there are tons of great restaurants and bars within walking distance.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Two new fancy hotels in Denver are very hip and cool - and very highly rated by Trip Advisor:

http://www.halcyonhotelcherrycreek.com/

http://www.thearthotel.com/

Quick Reply: Road trip - Colorado