Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What type of bra is on your 911?
I don't need no bra, bro
26.49%
Front bra installed
52.98%
Full bra, like those 1950s swimsuits
14.57%
Full bra, 7 coats of wax, armed security guards
6.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you have clear bra / film on your 911? Would you get them again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Hats's off to TintPros for nailing it. We still have a few days until our sponsorship is processed and I still plan to augment the excellent points that were made (I won't do the quote thing here for the sake of brevity).

Two main points that TintPros made and that I will highlight - PPF has come a long long way and investing time to find and use a good installer is worth the effort. One source of referrals would be local PCA members.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Hats's off to TintPros for nailing it. We still have a few days until our sponsorship is processed and I still plan to augment the excellent points that were made (I won't do the quote thing here for the sake of brevity).

Two main points that TintPros made and that I will highlight - PPF has come a long long way and investing time to find and use a good installer is worth the effort. One source of referrals would be local PCA members.
or the community PPF thread here.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:58 AM
JawJuh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I have created some videos that outline a few of the benefits of modern PPF. In terms of looks. When you have a great film installed by a great technician, it can be impossible to see any textural difference unless you track down an exposed edge from inches away.
Originally Posted by TheTintPros
Our shop uses Llumar Platinum PPF that comes with a 10 year Warranty and comes in gloss and matte finishes. From our experience this is the best film on the market. We combine this with Llumar and Xpel plotting software as we like this material better than Xpel but they make a good software program. For more intricate bumpers and pieces we will use a hand cut method if the templates arent up to par for our standards.
Thank for the videos and comments guys. I was researching film comparisons for my car, and all videos I found seem to lead to same theme that 3M holds up better than XPEL or Llumar. Would love to hear your thoughts on film of choice, as I am trying to decide which film I should get.

Last edited by JawJuh; 03-10-2017 at 03:59 AM. Reason: YouTube links not working
Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JawJuh
Thank for the videos and comments guys. I was researching film comparisons for my car, and all videos I found seem to lead to same theme that 3M holds up better than XPEL or Llumar. Would love to hear your thoughts on film of choice, as I am trying to decide which film I should get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUPC1YVa5uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhVhZqZvKaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBky8bHwUGM
I have SunTek on my car, and after 4 years, couldn't be happier with the clarity and shine of my SunTek film. If you want to check it out in person, send me a PM and I can meet you somewhere near the northern perimeter.

I had my film installed by Derek at http://www.atlantaprotectivefilms.com/

He came highly recommended and his work is much better than the guys who install for the Porsche dealers.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight.... but just out of curiosity and checking for fairness, I looked up ASTM G155 used in the 3M weathering test. It calls for 2000 hours of repeated cycles of used simulated sunlight to heat the panel to 145 degrees fahrenheit (63 centigrade) for 102 minutes followed by 18 minutes of water spray while the light is still present. This works out to 1000 cycles.

While it is interesting that the 3M film held that much better in this test, I would have to wonder if it is a cherry-picked test that their film did well in (although their film does seem to do well in many tests). But you might be able to cherry pick tests of other films that do better in other unrealistic tests for our cars too. If mtony's Suntek film in the previous post looked anything like that video after his 4 years I don't think he would be quite as happy as he is.

So for those of us that leave our cars parked out in the sun for several years in repeated hot sun and rain episodes, I guess this test means something. For the rest of us, I think that reports from the contributing pros and those of us members with the various films for multiple years have more meaning than that video.

The other interesting thing with the 3M film is I was thinking I might switch to that next time. However, at this time their website shows no installers using 3M within a 100 miles radius (max search) of Austin at this time. I can't find any with Google search either. Why aren't more installers picking up on this film?

Edit: Actually, watching the second video from JawJuh may give the answer to my last question.... he says the 3M film is considered the hardest to install. The installer I use in Austin had said one of the reasons he prefers Suntek is it is easier to work with than some of the others, resulting in less rework, stretch marks, etc... resulting in more customer satisfaction and lower installation time and costs.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake

Looking forward to more information. Had Suntek on my Boxster GTS and have Xpel on my S550.
Still researching what to do when my Targa is delivered this summer, both in terms of PPF and coatings.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
TheTintPros
Former Vendor

My main recomendation when researching films is to try and get as recent as possible data and improvements. For example, Llumar recently released their Platinum PPF which is even a good amount better compared to the previous Llumar PPF. It brings out the brilliance in the paint a little more and easier to work with on installation. In addition to this they upgraded their warranty from 5 years to 10 years and that protects agains yellowing, bubbling or cracking. For us we only want to carry the best so we are only carrying this now. With better product, you get better looking installations as well.

I would even ask the shop to feel samples. A customer brought in some product he bought online and it felt so much different than our product. After comparing the two he decided to take a loss on the product he bought online and went with ours because you could actually feel the difference in the quality.

We had a customer with a 2016 M4 he had gotten PPF done somewhere else and it was already yellow, not even 2 years after install. After doing his hood when he got a new carbon fiber one, he is now going to redo the entire front end with us because it was a noticeable difference between the two. I will try and find out what material he had installed previously to give everyone a heads up.

One of the main reasons we use Llumar is the parent company Eastman is the largest film manufacturer in the world. We have actually gone to their plant to see how all the film is made and all of the materials that go into the film is made in house and are not outsourced from other countries or companies. They are continuously working to improve their products and get feedback from us that work with the product every day, their commitment is noticeable. Again this is just our preference and what we have found from trying all different films, not trying to say anything bad about other films.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Take this for what it's worth. 3M Pro Series PPF is not a quality fit for a fine automobile PPF installation in my opinion. Not because it does not work. But because it is not possible to get the same level of a refined installation that other films can allow.

3M's adhesive is super aggressive. This means one gets more work marks and distortion. It has a lot of texture as well.

It is ideal for a dealership environment that is looking for fast installations that stick and don't come up easily.

Can it meet someone's needs for being an acceptable installation? Yes. All other things being the same(installer-wise), the 3M will not look as good.

Many people get hung up on the film being used and sure, there are differences in the films. But the absolute most important factor in your being pleased with a PPF installation is the company doing the work and standing behind it(or not....).
Old 03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

I have expel on front bumper, full hood etc., side view mirrors and good part of panels behind the doors. Has saved a lot of paint chips in the one year its been on. Almost wish I had it on the whole car. Cost of what I did was only $1,800 is NY area. On top of that I had opti coat put on the entire car. super easy to wash.

Yes I would do it again. Looks great on silver car, hard to notice it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Looking forward to more information. Had Suntek on my Boxster GTS and have Xpel on my S550.
Still researching what to do when my Targa is delivered this summer, both in terms of PPF and coatings.
There's a really reputable shop in my area that I think regularly does PPF with a Modesta coating on top. They deal with a national clientele and do a lot of high-end cars so they definitely know what they're doing.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennethjk
I have expel on front bumper, full hood etc., side view mirrors and good part of panels behind the doors. Has saved a lot of paint chips in the one year its been on. Almost wish I had it on the whole car. Cost of what I did was only $1,800 is NY area. On top of that I had opti coat put on the entire car. super easy to wash.

Yes I would do it again. Looks great on silver car, hard to notice it.
I have Xpel Ultimate on full front, fender areaa, door edges and 2 coats Ceramic Pro full car. Windows, mirrors, headlights, wheels, top have the appropriate Ceramic Pro product applied. I use a weak solution of car wash in a pressure washer with a safe force and and microfiber wash mitt and dry cloth. The water mostly rolls off the entire car.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I have Xpel Ultimate on full front, fender areaa, door edges and 2 coats Ceramic Pro full car. Windows, mirrors, headlights, wheels, top have the appropriate Ceramic Pro product applied. I use a weak solution of car wash in a pressure washer with a safe force and and microfiber wash mitt and dry cloth. The water mostly rolls off the entire car.
+1
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Great videos! Your videos/posts always seem to be rich in useable information! If there's anyone whose advice I've come to trust it's yours so thanks for posting about this.

BTW, I also borrowed a reference to one of your other videos yesterday in a discussion about rock guard replacement over on the 997 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14015843
Thank you for the kind words. We have our videos that just shows off our work but I make a real effort to also provide genuine educational content as well. In my opinion, if people are well-educated in the technology they can more easily spot a quality professional for taking care of them. This is good for the industry professionals that give a great service and it weeds out the hacks.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:13 PM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Recommended Installers

Great thread on PPF, things have changed alot since my early Boxster days and the (relatively) primitive films then available, 2000-2004.

I am interested in applying PPF to the bumper, hood, mirrors, maybe front fenders on my new (to me) 2013 Coupe. Paint is in excellent condition, did have PPF previously, which the dealer (Hennessey in Atlanta) removed saying they do that to all cars 3-4 years old in order to qualify for CPO. ?

Anyway I thank all the previous RL posters sharing their experience on films and installers.....and agree that THE most important variable is the installer. That being said, I am asking for recommendations on installers in western Maryland, SW Pennsylvania, and eastern West Virginia...basically a triangle from Pittsburgh to Morgantown WV to Frederick MD.

Any suggestions or personal experience with nearby (100-200 miles) would be appreciated!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So my OCD has me split on wether I want a clear bra on my next car. The first is the idea of someone taking your car apart (doors, wing, rear emblem etc) to do a solid coverage. How do you get under the rubber window and door seal? Do they come off? So there's that part. The other OCD side of me says if I don't I'll get microchips that will bother me and I may have to respray the front of the car years later. I'm assuming cost difference is nil. I remember a lot of proponents of "enjoy car and respray later" on these forums, but they seem to be less vocal now.

I'm also curious, for anyone who's wrapped a white car with Xpel, is the difference noticeable if you just do the front? And if you do the whole car, do they no longer put a separate rear fender piece like the factory or is that still placed on top of the bra?

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you have clear bra / film on your 911? Would you get them again?