Used 2013 Porsche 991 vs new BMW M2

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
I'll go against the grain here...

I get that you're single w/ no kids, but is this still your only car? Do you have access to anything more practical, or so you happen to live in a city with great alternative options such as Uber or a car share? Even when I was single, there's no way a 911 could have been my only car. I needed a real trunk way too often and I often drove my friends around because I hated being driven in one of their cars. They won't enjoy the back of an M2, but a 911 is torture in the back.

Also, how much are you stretching your budget? A $60K M2 comes with 4 years of free warranty AND maintenance. A $60K 911 has or will soon start to cost real money has regular maintenance and minor things start to break. It's not a lemon, but the amount will be greater than $0.

If friends don't like the back seats - let them take their own car.

There are many that can afford to buy a certain car. It comes down to making sure you can also afford to own it. Otherwise, it's too much car and you won't enjoy it. No shame in spending 40K on used cars and getting a GTI & Miata. Great combo of a phenomenal daily driver/workhorse and weekend/sportscar convertible. So many options in so many price ranges.

Don't laugh at the miata either - it's a great driving car. Better to get that and enjoy than be stressed about finances in something higher end.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

when I was a younger single Naval Aviator, I always had a two seater only. That ensured I was never the designated driver!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I spent the day at the BMW performance center driving the M2, M3 and M4. I'd take the M2 over those other two any day, regardless of price. Lighter, more communicative, more fun. Less power? Sure. Fewer features? Yep. Lower quality interior materials? You betcha. I'd still take it.

Now, the 911 is a different animal. It's more of a sports car. It is lower, it's less practical, noisier, but it handles better, the 991S is probably faster, it's got better brakes, it's got a better build quality and nice interior bits. I'll even suggest that it's cheaper to maintain and repair (based on frequency of repair, not cost of parts). If you are going with a manual transmission, the Porsche has BMW beat. If going with an auto (DCT/PDK), it's a wash, they're both excellent.

However, as a DD you will get hammered on resale on the 911 if you put miles on it, so what you saved in maintenance and repairs you'll likely lose later on.

You gotta drive both to decide. I can't do it for you.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
I am thinking used 991.1, year 2013 - 2014. It's market price is currently at $60 which is almost close to new BMW M2.
I can't afford new 991.2 now. In that case, which one would you go for?

I am driving 2006 997 C2S now, but thinking about upgrading it.
Have driven E92 M3 and F30 3 series in the past.

It will be my Daily Drive, since it will be my only car.
No kids, single, 30s.

I know I am in Porsche forum, but I will ask same questions to Bimmer forum to see how opinion diversify.

Thanks in advance!
Having owned 5 Bimmers in the past and 1 currently. BMW, no matter the model, is far from same level of quality and Prestige of a Porsche 911. TBH, as a Porsche 911 owner, BMW = Beneath My Whip
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I spent the day at the BMW performance center driving the M2, M3 and M4. I'd take the M2 over those other two any day, regardless of price. Lighter, more communicative, more fun. Less power? Sure. Fewer features? Yep. Lower quality interior materials? You betcha. I'd still take it.
I'd have loved to drive an M2; that's what I was truly after. None to be found at any dealer in the Bay Area. Drove a beautiful used M4, but my god it's so huge, felt like a boat (I've always had small cars).

With no M2 to be found (and not willing to buy sight unseen), I ended up with a Porsche -- so thankful now!
Old 03-01-2019, 10:44 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a bunch of M cars and couples 911's. I think the new M2 Competition is a pretty competent car. Like others have said, it's apples and oranges. And depending on use, DD vs weekend or track.

I thought about getting the M2, but in my opinion it's a younger mans car. The Porsche is better suited for a distinguished and sophisticated man. Lol

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
I've owned a bunch of M cars and couples 911's. I think the new M2 Competition is a pretty competent car. Like others have said, it's apples and oranges. And depending on use, DD vs weekend or track.

I thought about getting the M2, but in my opinion it's a younger mans car. The Porsche is better suited for a distinguished and sophisticated man. Lol

Good luck.

I bought the wrong car then because I am neither . . .
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
Comparing apples and oranges here. If you said loaded m2 or base boxster, I may have leaned towards the m2. But m2 vs used 991...... 991 all the way.
agree. 911 all day long. Complete no brainer. Even the guys on the BMW forums will tell you this, if they are being honest.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:21 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may be biased, but similar to something said previously, the M2 is a special version of a rather ordinary car. The 991 is ... a 911. Drive both. I'm sure you'll see the difference. Drive a Cayman also.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

If you’re worried about dropping some coin after the purchase, then don’t even think about the 911. Not saying it’ll even cost you a dime, but if one thing goes, and you have no warranty, it’s thousands, not hundreds. Oil changes alone cost $450 at my dealer. Something to consider.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:39 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Fortunate to be driving my dream car. Couldn’t say that about any model BMW. The car was a stretch for me financially but I’d do it again without hesitation. My manual 2013 991S is pushing 60k miles and has been flawless. First 2 owners put 5k on it in 3 years and I’ve clocked the other 55k in just over 3.5 years.

Here’s the numbers for a recent 6 day roundtrip from the Pacific Northwest to southern AZ. A lot of that drive was spent with the gas pedal mashed to the firewall. 2 pics. Trip total and the final leg.

The oil changes are easy. Gives me a chance to walk around the car and do some minor detailing while the oil drains.

Last edited by Dgags; 03-01-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with the above. The M2 is the cute popular cheerleader in high school; attractive given the sample size when younger, but likely won't age well without some serious money thrown into plastic surgery and weekly Botox sessions.

The base 911 is the woman who has a full-time job working as a trade-show clothing model. She isn't a supermodel, but is 5 foot 9, fits a clothing sample size (2) and probably the most attractive woman if one were to take a random selection of several hundred women. Is she Kate Upton? No, but she is also not simply "above average".

911 all day long; not necessarily for speed, as I see M2s beating 911s at the local AutoX, but you can't compare the driving experience between the two.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
If you’re worried about dropping some coin after the purchase, then don’t even think about the 911. Not saying it’ll even cost you a dime, but if one thing goes, and you have no warranty, it’s thousands, not hundreds. Oil changes alone cost $450 at my dealer. Something to consider.
Sounds like you need a friend with a lift! My buddy is a mechanic and his standard rate is $175 for an oil change. It's cheaper if you BYOB.

The next thing you know, Porsche dealers will require an entrance fee of $5 to use their bathroom. They print money
Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
I agree with the above. The M2 is the cute popular cheerleader in high school; attractive given the sample size when younger, but likely won't age well without some serious money thrown into plastic surgery and weekly Botox sessions.

The base 911 is the woman who has a full-time job working as a trade-show clothing model. She isn't a supermodel, but is 5 foot 9, fits a clothing sample size (2) and probably the most attractive woman if one were to take a random selection of several hundred women. Is she Kate Upton? No, but she is also not simply "above average".

911 all day long; not necessarily for speed, as I see M2s beating 911s at the local AutoX, but you can't compare the driving experience between the two.
You lost me with all of that, but one thing is for sure... compared to the M2, the 991 is indeed a supermodel. Probably the prettiest of all 911 generations. The M2 is not much to look at imo. Looks like a M4 that got caught in a compactor.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Think of it this way.... On your death bed, do you want to remember a 911 or an M2?

I think the answer is clear.

Quick Reply: Used 2013 Porsche 991 vs new BMW M2