Sponsored by:

Periodic engine "rattle" at start up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Periodic engine "rattle" at start up

Through my experiences over the years, with different vehicle brands with chain driven overhead camshafts, I heard this type of noise in almost all of them. Never made me think too much of, until now, with our 991's being more expensive to repair than my 175,000 mile Kia SUV (which never developed any problems, since hearing this noise within months of purchasing it new).

The noise I "think" I am hearing is one of the timing chains coming up to tension, as oil pressure builds upon engine start up. I've briefly spoken to a Porsche certified mechanic to confirm that the 991 does employ hydraulic tensioners that can bleed off over time, once the engine has shut down. I don't hear this all of the time, even when the engine has been shut down for more than a few days. Perhaps the bleed off is dependent upon "where" the crankshaft ends up at shut down.

While still under warranty, I plan on bringing the car to the dealer for inspection and to get this on record (2016 Targa GTS, 15k miles, owned for a year).

I am just curious if anyone else has heard this same noise and if you brought it into the dealer to be inspected. Was this considered "normal" and no cause for alarm or long term effect? Or was a defect found, requiring maintenance and/or repair?

Thanks - Jim
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a periodic rattle at startup, but would go away after a few minutes at idle. Turned out to be a loose exhaust tip.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Normal, wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

What climate do you live in? Same noise in summer vs winter (cold starts)?? Same noise as mile 15 vs your current 15,000 miles??? I assume you're running Mobil 0W40......may want to try A40 approved Mobil 5W50.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:31 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
What climate do you live in? Same noise in summer vs winter (cold starts)?? Same noise as mile 15 vs your current 15,000 miles??? I assume you're running Mobil 0W40......may want to try A40 approved Mobil 5W50.
South Louisiana. Yes, same noise at 15 and 15,000. Same frequency over those miles as well. Oil viscosity is whatever the dealer replaced it with at oil change.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:38 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by vwduud
South Louisiana. Yes, same noise at 15 and 15,000. Same frequency over those miles as well. Oil viscosity is whatever the dealer replaced it with at oil change.
Then I'd also tend to say "Normal". You could try Mobil 5W50 and see if the start-up noise settles down.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
busta2706
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vwduud
Through my experiences over the years, with different vehicle brands with chain driven overhead camshafts, I heard this type of noise in almost all of them. Never made me think too much of, until now, with our 991's being more expensive to repair than my 175,000 mile Kia SUV (which never developed an y problems, since hearing this noise within months of purchasing it new).

The noise I "think" I am hearing is one of the timing chains
coming up to tension, as oil pressure builds upon engine
start up. I've briefly spoken to a Porsche certified mechanic
to confirm that the 991 does employ hydraulic tensioners that
can bleed off over time, once the engine has shut down. I don't hear this all of the time, even when the engine has been shut down for more than a few days. Perhaps the bleed off is dependent upon "where" the crankshaft ends up at shut down.

While still under warranty, I plan on bringing the car to the dealer for inspection and to get this on record (2016 Targa GTS, 15k miles, owned for a year).

I am just curious if anyone else has heard this same noise and if you brought it into the dealer to be inspected. Was this considered "normal" and no cause for alarm or long term effect? Or was a defect found, requiring maintenance and/or repair?

Thanks - Jim
Hi Jim, Please provide an update when you hear back from your dealer on this issue. My car is at the dealership for a couple of issues and your exact same "rattle" issue as I can also hear the same thing on occasion. It might be an exhaust drone but it sounds/feels like there is something going for an extra spin after the engine is done with its dramatic mechanical infamous startup sound.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Can you post a video of this rattle?
Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Can you post a video of this rattle?
Possibly. It'll be a challenge to reproduce it, much less catch it in audio/video, whether for here on the forum or for the dealer. Although, it would give me a better shot at presenting this problem, should I happen to catch the sound on video, being it is so sporadic.

I'll see if I can be disciplined enough to remember to start the video rolling BEFORE starting the engine. And if it'll catch the sound from the driver's seat, with the door open.

Thanks for the question (suggestion). I'll post it if I get it.

Jim
Old 10-26-2018, 11:52 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

what to bring this thread back up.

As i have driven about 3000 miles since i bought the car, i am hearing a rattle/chatter when the car is idling (before the car hit operating oil temp...below 180F)

I know initial cold start (first 2-3 mins) would be loud and normal to be noisy...but even after about 5 mins of local driving, i can hear a rattle/chatter that comes and goes, PDK in D or P doesnt make a diff.

anyone have similar experience? timing tensioner? chain?

Hard to do a video to for the noise because you really have to pay attention to hear it....is gone once the car is warmed up....
Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
I had a periodic rattle at startup, but would go away after a few minutes at idle. Turned out to be a loose exhaust tip.
Did they fix it? I have that as well.

Oh sorry didn't realize it was an old post.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:17 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Lifters till warm up. I am told not a big deal unless it does not go away after warmup
Old 10-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
what to bring this thread back up.

As i have driven about 3000 miles since i bought the car, i am hearing a rattle/chatter when the car is idling (before the car hit operating oil temp...below 180F)

I know initial cold start (first 2-3 mins) would be loud and normal to be noisy...but even after about 5 mins of local driving, i can hear a rattle/chatter that comes and goes, PDK in D or P doesnt make a diff.

anyone have similar experience? timing tensioner? chain?

Hard to do a video to for the noise because you really have to pay attention to hear it....is gone once the car is warmed up....
that much noise would a concern as to why you’re still driving it without talking to your service department.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:38 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

that much noise would a concern as to why you’re still driving it without talking to your service department.
i dont drive it enuff to notice until now, and is gone once is warmed up so.....not a big concern

Originally Posted by white6speed
Lifters till warm up. I am told not a big deal unless it does not go away after warmup
interesting

Quick Reply: Periodic engine "rattle" at start up