Sponsored by:

Platinum satin

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:50 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Platinum satin

Iv'e been reading all the posts about people trying to find a color match for the Porsche Platinum Satin (OB5) wheels. Iv'e also talked with the local Wesco paint supplier, who can mix the formula, but at their price for OB5/gloss clear coat + labor and paint- I might as well just buy new wheels!! So my question is: has anyone here tried getting even close with powder coating or paint. My 1012.5CS needs new shoes and before I mount them, I thought it would be a good time re do the wheels. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

have a paint shop match the paint and touch up. Or paint all the wheels, or have them powder coated with a match color, if you do them all, then they all match. Dont worry about exact matching, its meaningless if all the wheels match
Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through this recently to try to match some nicks in my platinum satin wheels. The website to check out is www.colorndrive.com The tricky thing is (I found out the hard way) is that Porsche slightly changed this formula at some point. Originally, the color I ordered was dark. Then they sent me the later color for my 2015 that matched perfectly. I don't know when they changed it.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 PM
mymac
Pro

Thanks Kiethgreer. I didn't know about the color change between years. Right now I'm working with Prizmaticpowders.com, and I just might change up the wheel colors all together. Iv'e ordered some swatches, so we'll see?
Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

a paint code, or name may have 20 to 30 different variations over time. The factory changes formula continually for a color name. Arctic silver may have many variations of formulas. Thats why alot of paint codes go by vin #. And they may not match. I know Ive done is several times for porsche and mb colors.
Alot of painting is done by eye match, and illusion
Old 10-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts

Any PPG shop painter that deals with high end cars can match the paint. Have them do 5 spray outs and look at them in different light over 2 days. The tricky bit is probably getting the right amount of fleck but a good painter can figure this out. It is all just water based paint though AND personally if I were paying to repaint wheels I would probably powder coat or find someone who could do enamel as the water based stuff is so thin.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:58 PM
mymac
Pro

Lots of good replies! Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 02:28 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by mymac
Thanks Kiethgreer. I didn't know about the color change between years. Right now I'm working with Prizmaticpowders.com, and I just might change up the wheel colors all together. Iv'e ordered some swatches, so we'll see?
Let us know if you choose something different!

I personally really like the Platinum Satin - that's what I have on my winter wheel set - I had to order them from Germany though because at that time I could only find the Carrera S wheels in that shiny aluminum color in stock at US dealers. Those do look great on some cars, but I didn't think they'd look right with GT silver.

Quick Reply: Platinum satin