Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...how about this C2S? (Still trying to find my first Porsche)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:53 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 751 Posts

I would never lose a car I love for a few grand. You are still talking about a car at 70k. You might find the car at the price you like and it may not have a few of the things you really want. Get it as close to where it will work for you and then start to enjoy driving it.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM
bolteon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update time guys...

So the good folks at Marque Motors got the car earlier today and we're cutting the full PPI down to just the first stage since it seems like the cars been put on an alignment machine.

The rear passenger tire is sticking out comparatively to the drivers side- according to them in the centimeters range.

Before I pass complete judgement on Grand Prix Motors- I'll post up the PPI but this really doesn't sound good, especially considering how insulted they were at my offer of 62k.

Is there a blacklist at Rennlist? ;-)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Damn! I think they're right. If you look at the photo taken from behind the car, the third in the series, you can see that the camera's point-of-view is actually a little off-center behind the car and a bit to the driver's side of the car. However, you can still see more of the passenger side tire sticking out. From the angle that it was taken, you would expect to see more of the driver's side tire and less of the passenger tire.

In other photos, you can see the passenger side tire is pretty flush with the fender but the driver's side may be inset a bit, but to be honest that one is a little harder to see. Now one possibility is that someone has left a 15mm or so spacer on the passenger side and none on the driver side. If that's not the case, then you are right, this seems pretty odd. Good job on getting the PPI!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 PM
bolteon
Advanced

Originally Posted by StormRune
Damn! I think they're right. If you look at the photo taken from behind the car, the third in the series, you can see that the camera's point-of-view is actually a little off-center behind the car and a bit to the driver's side of the car. However, you can still see more of the passenger side tire sticking out. From the angle that it was taken, you would expect to see more of the driver's side tire and less of the passenger tire.

In other photos, you can see the passenger side tire is pretty flush with the fender but the driver's side is inset a bit. Now one possibility is that someone has left a 15mm or so spacer on the passenger side and none on the driver side. If that's not the case, then you are right, this seems pretty odd. Good job on getting the PPI!
You're absolutely right... the point at which the tire makes contact to the rear facia should be lower (vertically) in this photo since we're slightly off to the drivers side of the car.

Good eye.

Waiting to get the more detailed stuff before I offer Grand Prix $40k. ;-)

Truly a bummer, I really found myself in love with this color combo... Only to be left wanting.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Here a zoom of the passenger-side photo I was referring to. If there isn't a big spacer on this, then it shouldn't be so flush. It may even stick out a little but they never give us a better angle to tell.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bolteon
The rear passenger tire is sticking out comparatively to the drivers side- according to them in the centimeters range.
That's not really possible unless someone left a wheel spacer on just that side. If the car was so badly bent that one wheel is centimeters out of place, it'd be pretty obvious elsewhere -- accident damage, driving problems, etc. That looks like a straight car to me. With a complex multi-link suspension like on a 991, all those parts don't magically fit together if the body of the car or major suspension components are bent.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
bolteon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Churchill
That's not really possible unless someone left a wheel spacer on just that side. If the car was so badly bent that one wheel is centimeters out of place, it'd be pretty obvious elsewhere -- accident damage, driving problems, etc. That looks like a straight car to me.
We'll know shortly...
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
That's not really possible unless someone left a wheel spacer on just that side. If the car was so badly bent that one wheel is centimeters out of place, it'd be pretty obvious elsewhere -- accident damage, driving problems, etc. That looks like a straight car to me. With a complex multi-link suspension like on a 991, all those parts don't magically fit together if the body of the car or major suspension components are bent.
Yeah, I'm hoping you're right... but as OP says... we'll find out soon.

On another note, just in case it helps you with your shopping, one of several references I used when shopping last time was the TrueCar site that claims to keep stats on actual sales prices by area by model. They produce pretty graphs like the one below. You can argue whether or not the data is right, but it didn't seem to far out of line with other observations I was finding... although those were largely influenced by my own CPO car findings on the Porsche NA site and my guess as to what they would actually sell for on average. I think I used a guess of around 5-8% below asking on average based upon my prior experience with my first two CPO Porsches.

Here's the graph point for this car, but they don't seem to differentiate for condition or mileage and the car you are considering is a bit higher miles than average and TDB condition.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

As a reference point, I bought my 2012 C2S in the fall with similar build (but with hardbacks and PSE), non-CPO, for low/mid 60's. I think I stole it though -- mid/high 60's a more realistic price.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:00 PM
bolteon
Advanced

Just called Marque again... they're almost done with the photos of the report but they're holding strong that the cars been on an alignment table and panels have been repainted.

Anyone know the owner at Grand Prix Motors?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Just called Marque again... they're almost done with the photos of the report but they're holding strong that the cars been on an alignment table and panels have been repainted.
They have paint gauge readings?

It's pretty obvious when a car's had suspension components replaced, because the new parts look....well, newer than the original parts. Especially with bare aluminum control arms like on a 991. There should be no guesswork here.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone know the owner at Grand Prix Motors?
I think the owner/GM is Val. I bought my '09 997 C4S from him 3 yrs ago. He seems like a decent guy. I have not heard of bad experiences there, bit there's a first time for everything. Kurt at Marque is a good guy, and knows his 911's.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The owner has a racing background. They have a bunch of 911's and all appear to have been sitting there for quite a while. That being said, they have a better inventory then the local dealer.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Here is the owner according to the Oregon DMV dealerships website:
http://dmv.odot.state.or.us/cf/dlrsliclkup/Search/index.cfm?fuseAction=getSingle&DealerNumber=DA2069&dealerStatus=...

While I see nothing on the web listing that claims this is a clean car, at this point it appears they may be some let-the-buyer-beware kind of guys. If he is such a strong Porsche guy, then he knows what this car really is, but we'll find out what that is when the final report comes in.

I have to think that guys cars like this find this car a real gold mine (if our assumptions are correct). To find a car with a clean CarFax that you can get cheap because it has had major repairs (or needs major repairs that they take care of themselves off-the-record) is quite a find for them. I don't know this is the case here... but something seems fishy. I ran into this with a 2001 BMW M3. The CarFax was clean, but then the mechanics inspecting the car showed me where the frame had been welded back together and the evidence that all of the windows and panels on one side of the car had been replaced. My other anecdotal story is my own fault, my Grand Cherokee in Colorado. I slammed it into a curb sideways in the snow so hard it almost rolled over. There was no body damage at all, but the rear axle had been pushed several inches to one side and even after repairs never drove quite right again. At a glance no one would have ever known and even a paint meter would have never told the story. I just paid to have it fixed myself... it would have never shown up on a Carfax.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-27-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 AM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll know shortly...
Any update on this? PPI results?

Quick Reply: ...how about this C2S? (Still trying to find my first Porsche)