Sponsored by:

991.2 Predictions: Don't get the powerkit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 991.2 Predictions: Don't get the powerkit

I've been reading a lot of the banter on 991.2 base, GTS, Powerkit, making power, etc.

My prediction is that for people that care about making power beyond factory spec that the Powerkit is the worst way to go. (lets set warranty aside and assume that people in this category mod regardless).

For the cost of the powerkit I predict that in the next year there will be >600hp aftermarket options. Likely the S will be the better platform to choose, however... with the minimal engine block differences the base may even be the best option wince aftermarket turbos will be needed to make this kind of power.

For the 991.1 the powerkit is near the power limits we've seen.

Who plans on doing a build for the 991.2?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

I ordered it on my upcoming 4S. Don't do any of my own engine work, it comes with the GT Sport package goodies and happy to have a full factory warranty on the most powerful MT I can order as a non-VIP.
A base would have certainly been plenty of car for me, but I kept checking boxes.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

There may be little benefit to adding the power kit after taking delivery, but the seems little reason not to check the box for the Sport Package that includes the powerkit because you are getting 30HP and 30ft/lb torque for $7K fully factory warranted and installed. I'm not a fan of aftermarket engine work no matter the gains.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:07 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Whew.... that was a close one, I almost ordered a 991.2 S with a Power Kit. So glad I read this thread first. What other options should I not get on my car?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Whew.... that was a close one, I almost ordered a 991.2 S with a Power Kit. So glad I read this thread first. What other options should I not get on my car?

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd have to agree with OP here. If you plan on doing any ecu tune at some point, the power kit may be a waste.

I would think the fellas at Cobb will have a stage 1 ecu reflash with 50+hp/torque and a stage 2 (exhaust+tune) with 75 or so.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Buteo
I'd have to agree with OP here. If you plan on doing any ecu tune at some point, the power kit may be a waste.

I would think the fellas at Cobb will have a stage 1 ecu reflash with 50+hp/torque and a stage 2 (exhaust+tune) with 75 or so.
Many won't mod like that for power... however - it may be not only redundant but MORE EXPENSIVE knowing long term goals to get the powerkit and then mod. Especially when the next gen comes out in trying to remain at relevant power/performance levels.

Again - for people that stick to mostly factory - a quick dead end conversation but for the large number of modders(Porsche and M3 are most likely demographic to mod.) just a thought and column fodder discussion.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Prediction: Porsche will start aggressively flagging ECU tuned cars. What is the powertrain warranty on a $120k car worth?

Turbo/supercharged Audis have been tuned for well over a decade. It took Audi a few years to catch on, and then started flagging tuned cars. Hell, an Audi memo was posted indicating that they were now able to detect if a tuning box had been installed.

Will it be cheaper to flash the ECU vs paying for the power kit? Absolutely, unless your engine detonates and Porsche denies warranty coverage.

Oh, and citing the M-M Act won't save you with an ECU flash
Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

It would be cheaper to order a GTS, with the options I'd want.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:54 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Not having any first hand experience I question as to whether or not the aftermarket will actually be that much cheaper part for part than the Power Kit.

For example, the $12,000 PK comes with Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust so that is close to $5,000 of the cost right there. That leaves about $7,000 for larger turbos and tuning. How much do larger turbos cost? How much is the labor to have them installed? What does this do to the resale compared to the factory options?

When it comes to mods does re-sale even matter?

And don't forget the improved brake cooling? That might be needed if you have extra power and actually use it.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never understood the whole horsepower thing. My powerkit 991 which makes a paltry 420hp or so will exceed the speed limit in first gear. What the hell do we need more power for in a road car? It's already too damn fast outside of actual track driving. And, for actual track driving, I'd rather have a lightweight open wheel formula car with even less horsepower.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

When I look at the pricing on the Canadian site for the power kit, isn't it a better deal just to get a GTS? You get the same power, and a wider body and the price difference isn't that much. Is there a reason why would one pick a C2S + power kit over a GTS?

As to chipping my car to make more power? No thank you. Not interested in spending $140,000 for a C2S and then voiding the warranty with a chip. I'm sure others don't worry about stuff like that though.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:54 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kayjh
When I look at the pricing on the Canadian site for the power kit, isn't it a better deal just to get a GTS? You get the same power, and a wider body and the price difference isn't that much. Is there a reason why would one pick a C2S + power kit over a GTS?
I haven't fully decided which way I am going to go but..... GTS comes with Sport Plus seats which dont fit me. 4-way sport seats is not an option so I am forced to buy 14 way seats AND leather interior. Which I guess is OK because I'm not a fan of Alcantara. Not sure I want the added expense and maintenance of PDCC and RWS. Not sure I want to deal with CLs.

So an S with standard interior and seats and PowerKit is a good bit lower than a GTS.

I think it all depends on what options you really want.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:16 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I haven't fully decided which way I am going to go but..... GTS comes with Sport Plus seats which dont fit me. 4-way sport seats is not an option so I am forced to buy 14 way seats AND leather interior. Which I guess is OK because I'm not a fan of Alcantara. Not sure I want the added expense and maintenance of PDCC and RWS. Not sure I want to deal with CLs.

So an S with standard interior and seats and PowerKit is a good bit lower than a GTS.

I think it all depends on what options you really want.
In Canada, I built both cars doing exactly what you suggested above and selected the standard suspension (PASM - I don't need a track suspension for our poor roads) and the cars with within a few thousand dollars of each other. With the C2S model, you have the advantage of the wide rear end. You can opt out of the centerlocks as well.

I was thinking that once you get up to 450 HP, AWD becomes an option that will help ensure the power gets to the ground effectively?

Anyway, just musing, as I have a C4 base inbound.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:52 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

first, the power kit gives you bigger turbos, and better ecu program. My guess is a aftermkt ecu will boost it well beyond any other stock S
second its always been a hocus-pocus about gts power. They never say you get the power kit option in a gts, it just says boosted power with vague description. I dont believe they ever gave $15k power kit mods to gts, at best boosted the ecu
Third, read the gts description, it says 450hp and nothing about getting the power kit bigger turbos but the power kit is not available to buy on gts
I believe the better potential is a S w/ the power kit. the power kit sport pkg 13,700 is the way to go you get alot of other things beside the power kit

Quick Reply: 991.2 Predictions: Don't get the powerkit