Getting it up in the morning: A 991.1 Oil Temp Study

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatfishburritos
How did you track engine revolutions?
It's in the Sport Chrono data log. It captures your RPM every second. From there it's just math.

Here's what's in the log (I used lap-length, lap-time, outside temp, and engine rotation speed)

lap no.;
lap-length [m];
lap-time [ms];
lap-time;
vehicle speed [km/h];
lateral acceleration [g];
longitudinal acceleration [g];
outside temperature [°C];
steering angle [°];
engine rotation speed [1/min];
engine temperature [°C];
gear;
height [m];
longitude;
latitude;
longitude;latitude;
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by First991
thanks for your analysis Jay. I had my 911 a few months now, and i do notice that this car takes a while to come to operating temp, almost 10-15 minutes which is a while compared to other vehicles I've driven.

What is the operating temp you guys use before you let it rip?? 180+?
I know many go by 180, but I go by 160. That's when the oil temp gauge in the TFT shows you out of "cold" / blue. If you let it rip at 160, your engine oil jumps to 180 in a flash.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gearFX
Great post (and nice data-logging and presentation for the benefit of the community)! But I have a dumb question: Is it truly "better" to warm the oil/engine temperature faster? Or are there other (mechanical engineering) benefits to letting the engine achieve operating temperature at a slower rate (say in conjunction with transmission/gear temps)?

Or in keeping with the theme: Is it safe to use 'morning wood' ASAP, or is it better for wear-and-tear to engage in longer foreplay.
There are times I want to let it rip above 4,000 so I wanted to know what the fastest way to safely do that was.

However, in keeping with the theme, it's probably best to spend more time on the foreplay as it gives all the other drive train components (PDK, etc.) time to get hot.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
The car does not accurately report oil temp below 150 because it is simply estimating the temp. Between 150-160 it's a little hit and miss but at least you've got the analogue temp gauge to verify.
Jay, why do you say this? Are you sure? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The oil temp reading direct from the ECU does not match the PCM value. This is confirmed by using the Cobb Accessport unit to read oil temp. Just like the water temp gauge on the PCM stays at 194 all the time.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't know for sure. I deduced it based on the fact that the temperature reading in the MFD will decrease from time to time while the engine oil temp is increasing. So (1) my MFD can't communicate with the actual oil thermometer and thus produces inconsistent readings, (2) my MFD has a separate, faulty/erratic thermometer for the MFD, (3) the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to my car or (4) the MFD is estimating the oil temp.

#4 seems the most likely to me although I would be pretty excited about #3.

If someone knows definitively what's going on I really would like to know.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
There are times I want to let it rip above 4,000 so I wanted to know what the fastest way to safely do that was.

However, in keeping with the theme, it's probably best to spend more time on the foreplay as it gives all the other drive train components (PDK, etc.) time to get hot.
How much warmup would you do before sprinting a 100-yard dash? Everyone is different. Some folks stretch, jump around, get the blood flowing, maybe run a sprint at 70% before letting her rip.

If you've run the engine while driving for 5-10 mins and it's well off the 100F Coolant temperature mark, the water is warm enough, the oil is warm enough, the cylinder head chambers, valves, pistons are hot, you should be good to let her rip. Granted, it may take another 5-10 mins for everything to reach a higher flat maximum safe running temperature, but the flat temperature is there for reasons other than what's safe for maximum power.

Quick Reply: Getting it up in the morning: A 991.1 Oil Temp Study