Sponsored by:

Alternate View on Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017 | 04:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
....and us original owners are more happy to oblige!
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:06 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the 991 forum with "concern for deprecation". That's one good thing about this forum and a breath of fresh air. Where have you seen that on here? I'd like to know.

Now the 991 GT3/RS forum? That's where you should put his thread
It's just stuff like this...nothing wrong with it but it had me wondering how many people like me bought the car and considered it sunk cost.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9112...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9208...ion-curve.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8921...questions.html
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

The best way to avoid is A.) buy used. and B.) buy a car in the winter that has been on the lot for at least 60 days. 90 days is better. C.) CPO makes a better value with the better than new warranty.

When you buy any new car - you aren't just buying the car... you are buying the concierge experience.

Hell... My Bimmer was less than a year old when I got it at 10K miles and 45% less than new.
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:22 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

If you can really afford a 911, you don't care about the depreciation.

For those that cannot really afford a 911, depreciation characteristics allows us to still drive 911s, but we have to drive old ones. I've been able to retain 90% of my vehicle purchase values across 9 vehicles over 13 years by buying old cars (and motorcycles). In cash, total acquisition costs on all 9 vehicles was $115,400, and all 9 sold for $105,500 in total. Maintenance, gas, repairs, insurance not included in this number.

Figuring that $115k could easily be a single new 911 purchase price, I think my point has been made, lol
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:25 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you can really afford a 911, you don't care about the depreciation.

For those that cannot really afford a 911, depreciation characteristics allows us to still drive 911s, but we have to drive old ones. I've been able to retain 90% of my vehicle purchase values across 9 vehicles over 13 years by buying old cars (and motorcycles). In cash, total acquisition costs on all 9 vehicles was $115,400, and all 9 sold for $105,500 in total. Maintenance, gas, repairs, insurance not included in this number.

Figuring that $115k could easily be a single new 911 purchase price, I think my point has been made, lol
Yup. A 996 or a 944 or on the low end a 924 are still so much car to have fun driving. New is $$$ but there is a Porsche for every budget if you love porsche and want one to drive. None will disappoint!
Old 02-05-2017 | 12:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I buy cars to drive them, not to save them for the next owner. I think that a little road rash on your front bumper adds character!

Hiding your car in the garage and waiting for perfect weather to drive it is a bit like marrying a supermodel and keeping your hands off of her to preserve her for the next guy. Yeah.... not going to happen here....
Old 02-05-2017 | 12:08 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Drive it like you stole it.
Old 02-05-2017 | 02:48 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Amen. That should be the PCA or Rennlist motto.
Old 02-05-2017 | 02:51 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Given the depreciation.... some of us CPO buyers feel like we did steal it!
Old 02-05-2017 | 03:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I see the comments of folks concerned about depreciation of their 911s and I get it. However, if I drive the crap out of my car (daily driver, autocross, general hooliganism) and it's worth $1 when I'm done with it, then I know I maximized my enjoyment of the car. Am I the only one?

BTW - I do take good care of my car so as to hold off the $1 trade-in as long as possible
Depreciation of an automobile is unavoidable -- with very rare exceptions.

To reduce this depreciation hit as much as I can I try to buy a car at the right price, that is I try to avoid overpaying for a car and in order to do this buy when the car/model is "friendless". Thus I manage to get pretty good discount from new or used.

I avoid any mods. I take good care of the car to not only help ensure my experience with the car is as problem free and issue free as possible but also when (if) the time comes to sell the car to show the prospective buyer the car was well taken care of.

And I generally hang on to my cars a long time. Currently my Boxster is 15 years old and my Turbo is 14 years old. While on paper no doubt the Boxster and to a lesser extent the Turbo have suffered from depreciation as long as I don't trade/sell either car I don't book that depreciation.
Old 02-05-2017 | 03:42 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

The only thing that drives me nuts is the Carfax depreciation. Both good and bad because you know that a car had an issue but then you have to find out what happened, and if your 911 had a minor fender bender you are going to take a big hit on resale. But depreciation was not on my mind when I leased my 911. I did a 7500 mile per year lease mostly to kind of limit the miles for the first three years so when I retire I will have a car with fairly low miles that I can drive for many years. My 911 is not my daily driver so not that hard to keep the miles down. Current plan is to buy the car at lease end. Plans can change though
Old 02-05-2017 | 03:46 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I buy cars to drive them, not to save them for the next owner. I think that a little road rash on your front bumper adds character!
A breath of fresh air, Dennis!
Old 02-05-2017 | 09:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

I buy them to drive them...and try to buy them right

heck I get a new rover every year, they hold their value decent...write off the depreciation (section 179)...never even change the oil. Guess im not a model citizen on that ownership deal LOL.....but cost of ownership for a $100K truck is pretty good for 12 months with zero worries. I already am on the list for a 2018

No mods, no clear bra...nothing. Ive never had a dealer give me more than book for a car....they don't car if it has a small ding here or there, interior wear ect....they fix all of that and sell it to you without you ever knowing second hand

My Porsche's I always buy off the lot....wait for the dealer to have one sit on lot, or a cancelled order and I buy it if I like it the way someone else picked it

Those of you used buyers that are calculating how much you bought your car off MSRP are doing it wrong....calculate how good your deal is off what you could have bought the car for (x% off MSRP) MSRP is a fake number in Porsche world (in rover world it is the only price)......now on the used one you have to deal with maintenance, tires ect....stuff us new buyers might not of had to deal with.....now you will find if you sell your two year old "deal" that you paid the same to drive a 911 as the guy who bought new "right"

This doesn't go for those who order a car...dealers ram you hard when you order one and pick out all the special stitching / cow you want....but for some this is the part they love about the process
Old 02-06-2017 | 01:13 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
And I generally hang on to my cars a long time. Currently my Boxster is 15 years old and my Turbo is 14 years old. While on paper no doubt the Boxster and to a lesser extent the Turbo have suffered from depreciation as long as I don't trade/sell either car I don't book that depreciation.
I think you are misleading yourself. If you don't depreciate, do you "book" the entire purchase price as an expense?
Old 02-06-2017 | 02:34 AM
twaite01
Advanced

Since I only buy used depreciation is my ally. After that I don't think about it. I've usually kept my vehicles for a long time (8-10 years) and I plan on them not being worth anything when I'm done. If they are worth anything it's a bonus.

Quick Reply: Alternate View on Depreciation