Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Websocket....nice build
Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by websocket
I too went the basic PDK route. It was a test drive in a 997 with manual transmission that hooked me. I'll be 61 when it arrives in April. First Porsche, first sports car. I toyed with some of the sport options but chose the daily driver mods only, even with an 8% discount. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHURI8F3
Awesome! Good looking build! Did you build a decent relationship with your dealer to pull 8 or did you shop dealers?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:34 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd

If I could order a base with the S brakes, SPASM, PDCC and RWS - Bam! That would be the car for me. But I can't. In order for me to get those options I need to get the S.

The GTS comes into play because by the time I spec out an S exactly the way I want it, the GTS is only a few grand more and it comes with items/options that are not available on other trims and make the car just a little different.
If you want these 4 things then indeed you cannot get that in a base. In my case I specifically did not want SPASM as I find it quite low as it is. I test drove the 2S and 4S with RWD and I am not sure I could not really feel that. As for stronger brakes I guess it is always better but I also find the base brakes very strong. My opinion may change after driving this thing for more than a month but so far I have zero S or GTS envy.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 491 Posts

Websocket

Nice to hear of another member 60 ish (I'm 59) getting his first Porsche. Did you consider a sunroof? My SA wanted a $20,000 deposit if I ordered a car without one as he said if I didn't complete the purchase when the car arrived it would sit on the lot forever waiting for a buyer (because of no sunroof). Made me think about resale value at trade in time.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 AM
websocket
AutoX

Brantley847 - I shopped three dealerships, two local and one 3 hours from me. I started out asking for 7%. The offers were 5, 6.5 and 8 (out-of-town) discounts.

kayjh - It's a gamble. However, my 991.2 PDK test drive (6.5 dealer above) didn't have one. My wife's car has one and we never, ever use it.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:47 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

It's funny but in the short-term "no sunroof" limits the car's resale prospects (not saying it becomes hard to sell, or you can't get a good price; just that there are a much larger number of people who want the sunroof -- or think they do -- then not.)

But when the car gets a few years on it, it flips and many, many people become rabid over solid-roof cars. In Turbos sunroof is standard but can be ordered with Sunroof Delete; I had a 996TT and 997TT ordered without sunroof and when I went to sell them on PCA Mart, the response was instant. And on the much older cars, you have people literally welding new roof panels in to eliminate SRs.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Gasol1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kayjh,

I just took delivery of a c4 without a sunroof. My other cars have them but we don't use them. This is in Los Angeles where it can get hot through a sunroof. Dealer had no issues ordering one for me without it and didn't take a deposit at all. They had me fill out a credit card form but never charged it.

this sales guy moves a lot of cars, he felt Bose, sport chrono and color and wheel combos were more important for resale even though he personally felt Bose wasn't necessary.

I ordered the options I wanted like PPP, LCA and front axle lift. I don't like the look of a sunroof on graphite blue and didn't want to deal with potential issues so didn't get it.

Originally Posted by kayjh
Websocket

Nice to hear of another member 60 ish (I'm 59) getting his first Porsche. Did you consider a sunroof? My SA wanted a $20,000 deposit if I ordered a car without one as he said if I didn't complete the purchase when the car arrived it would sit on the lot forever waiting for a buyer (because of no sunroof). Made me think about resale value at trade in time.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also ordered w/o sunroof. Dealer asked if I specifically wanted no sunroof or just missed the option. I said I didn't want it. He said OK, great. As far as resale goes, his feedback was that "good for resale value" just means that I get my money back for the desirable options I invested into, when I sell. I also tried to not look at this shopping experience as if I was buying the car for someone else. Too many times I listened to other people's preferences when I bought cars, only to find out that I wasn't getting what I truly wanted. This time I didn't listen to anyone, including my wife. Our discussion about it was merely informing her that my car is going to be red. I'm getting what I want. PS: sunroof: I've had sunroofs before, and aside from the fact that they reduce headroom (I'm tall), I never had a sunroof that didn't develop a rattle or started to leak over time. (Granted, those weren't German cars.)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Brantley847 - I shopped three dealerships, two local and one 3 hours from me. I started out asking for 7%. The offers were 5, 6.5 and 8 (out-of-town) discounts.

kayjh - It's a gamble. However, my 991.2 PDK test drive (6.5 dealer above) didn't have one. My wife's car has one and we never, ever use it.
Nice, well done.. My approach was to also come out swinging for 7 as well and attempt that with a highly optioned base carrera and a very low optioned GTS. I don't think I will get the bites on the GTS, but it is worth a shot. I figure if we throw 10K+ in options there is more wiggle room whereas the GTS has everything I would add standard.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:37 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayjh
Websocket

I have a car on order and I can't get them to charge my Amex for a deposit. The car with discount is a 130k car and no sunroof. I guess it's spec' in a way they think it will sell. It will be my first Porsche and a 50 birthday gift to myself.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM
kayjh
Drifting

I know. I never use mine in my 5 series either but I ordered my car with a steel sliding sunroof for resale when I trade. I'd like to think I'll keep this car 6 or 7 years, but more likely I'll be out of it in 3.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Ordering without a sunroof isn't a gamble. Plenty of people want the car that way and many others are indifferent if the rest of the car is to their liking. Lots of Porsche owners wouldn't buy a car with a sunroof.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
kayjh
Drifting

It seems the consensus here is that a car sans sunroof is as desirable as one without. Maybe that's true. But in 3 years I have to trade the car locally where the dealer says he has trouble selling a car without one. He claims that almost all acts they old last year ha sunroofs with 100% of them being of the glass variety. He tried to convince me to get a glass roof, but after going back and forth on it, I decided that for me, on a white car, it just didn't look right so I ordered a steel sliding roof. Other popular options (I was advised) were: PDK, Sport Chromo, Sport Exhaust, 20" wheels. I went with those options and added the Spyder 20" wheels, painted side skirts (look better on a white car, with a dark colour car it isn't noticeable) LCA and Bose.

Depending on which dealer you ask, the cost of that build was close to a C2S and I'd have been better off to buy a C2S for the money (Toronto). In the west, where I live, the dealer recommended a C4 instead. Since I plan to drive the car through part of the winter I picked that model.

In the end, I, like most others here tried to pick options I thought I'd enjoy, while keeping a mind to resale (I'll never get a penny for the 20" RS Spyder wheels on resale, or the side skirts painted).
Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche pushes the pdk hard... its the best in the world. But it has no material afffect on resale... manual probably HELPS resale actually.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Porsche pushes the pdk hard... its the best in the world. But it has no material afffect on resale... manual probably HELPS resale actually.
Not really.

If by "material afffect" [sic] you mean ease of reselling the car. It's generally much easier (by factors of at least 2-3) to sell a PDK car than a 7MT, all else being equal.

Now, if you mean you might get a higher resale price, perhaps, but then the car will sit "for sale" much longer than a similar PDK car.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !