Sponsored by:

New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brantley847
Im struggling with this as well. My purchase is strictly road going to be a weekend warrior that I might track once a year. It seems the C2 is more than enough power for street... hell some publications got its 0-60 time a few ticks under 4 seconds which is insane. Im just concerned I might have regret I didn't get a bigger ball buster... when reality is I'll never approach its limits and is 15-40k worth a few tenths on the street
Watch for my posts in the near future. I am currently awaiting delivery of a 991.2 base PDK, with none of the go-fast options. Will provide plenty of feedback and information and hopefully 0-60 times as well. Just like most of us, I also struggled with this dilemma, then decided to take the plunge.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregv8
Watch for my posts in the near future. I am currently awaiting delivery of a 991.2 base PDK, with none of the go-fast options. Will provide plenty of feedback and information and hopefully 0-60 times as well. Just like most of us, I also struggled with this dilemma, then decided to take the plunge.
Sounds good look forward to hearing

what's your projected delivery date
Old 02-04-2017, 12:31 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Do you plan to do a 0 - 60 test as soon as you get your car?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:36 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

I was in the same boat and it is very easy to get caught up into, why not an S, why not a GTS, why not a GT3, etc... At the end I am really happy with my decision on the 991.2 base. Interestingly enough on a back to back test with an S and 4S I could not feel any difference on the road between the base and the S and I preferred the steering of the base as well. Sometimes it is good when the one you prefer is the cheaper of the bunch too.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:55 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Do you plan to do a 0 - 60 test as soon as you get your car?
No, I will do a proper break-in, but that won't take long ;-)

Projected delivery is still a pretty broad window, I would say anywhere between late-February through end of March.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Originally Posted by LionelB
I was in the same boat and it is very easy to get caught up into, why not an S, why not a GTS, why not a GT3, etc... At the end I am really happy with my decision on the 991.2 base. Interestingly enough on a back to back test with an S and 4S I could not feel any difference on the road between the base and the S and I preferred the steering of the base as well. Sometimes it is good when the one you prefer is the cheaper of the bunch too.
Exactly. In my opinion, GT3 is the hands down favorite at least while it is still N/A. However, I do need the rear seats to fit small children in. If I didn't it would be a debate between GT3 and Z06. I am now struggling with the debate of whether I go "Base" and build this car up to my ideal interior/exterior styling with chrono, or go plain interior and enjoy the performance bump of either a GTS / S. I am just curious for someone that keeps the car on the street all but maybe one day a year can really justify .2-.5 seconds of 0-60 time for tens of thousands of dollars and less interior design elements.

EDIT: You stated you could not feel any distinguishable difference between the S and base performance for street driving?

PS. I get the 0-60 times are often very irrelevant, but most of my spirited driving comes in that low torque range.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Exactly. In my opinion, GT3 is the hands down favorite at least while it is still N/A. However, I do need the rear seats to fit small children in. If I didn't it would be a debate between GT3 and Z06. I am now struggling with the debate of whether I go "Base" and build this car up to my ideal interior/exterior styling with chrono, or go plain interior and enjoy the performance bump of either a GTS / S. I am just curious for someone that keeps the car on the street all but maybe one day a year can really justify .2-.5 seconds of 0-60 time for tens of thousands of dollars and less interior design elements.
There is waaaayyyy more to the difference between the GT3 and the standard cars than just a few tenths 0-60. Entirely different experience.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is waaaayyyy more to the difference between the GT3 and the standard cars than just a few tenths 0-60. Entirely different experience.
Absolutely. The engine wail and cornering are absolutely unreal.

Was talking with an R8 owner the other day. He was comparing his V10 car to a base 991.1 C4(he has the new R8 and comparing against the old 911)... When you look at what you can get in a Porsche for the money it is one of the best values out there - across the lineup... second only to a Miata or Lotus 400S(lets table reliability and service....). A Gt3 is cheaper than a base R8 and will outperform a V10 all day in terms of capability and experience.

I'd like to see a 991.2 base against a R8/v10 comparison for giggles.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

EDIT: You stated you could not feel any distinguishable difference between the S and base performance for street driving?

PS. I get the 0-60 times are often very irrelevant, but most of my spirited driving comes in that low torque range.
I test drove thé C2 and C2S on twisty roads and no I could not really feel the extra power of the S. The new engine delivers loads of power at low RPM. I could not really even exploit the base car power. Maybe someone more experienced than me would have. This was not a slow test ride either.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:22 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

No, I will do a proper break-in, but that won't take long ;-)

Projected delivery is still a pretty broad window, I would say anywhere between late-February through end of March.
Just wondering. Some guys don't but I plan to with my C4. Delivery in May.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Huh? I didn't compare the two. GT3 is not on my radar because I need back seats for kiddos. I said that is the ideal car, but it is not an option.

My comparison is the Base, the S variants, and GTS. So again, we are comparing what some publications say the base is pulling 3.8-3.9 while the GTS and S variants will push 3.4.

So is a few tenths worth between 15 and 40k after it is optioned the way we would want it to be? That is what I am trying to figure out. Or do I be patient and save up for the power boost and options in the next gen?
Old 02-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Originally Posted by LionelB
I test drove thé C2 and C2S on twisty roads and no I could not really feel the extra power of the S. The new engine delivers loads of power at low RPM. I could not really even exploit the base car power. Maybe someone more experienced than me would have. This was not a slow test ride either.
Lol. Agreed. I admit the C4 is still on the radar and saves me an extra 8k for options. I will follow the poster above and see how his experience goes in the summer.

It is just kind of odd to opt for a C4 in Florida, but I have been a RWD guy my whole life and I admit the C4 appeals. Although, from what I am hearing I will never push it to the point the transfer of power will apply.

..does have a nice booty though.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:21 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

FWIW my personal desire to move into an S or GTS has absolutely NOTHING to do with HP or 0-60 times.

If I could order a base with the S brakes, SPASM, PDCC and RWS - Bam! That would be the car for me. But I can't. In order for me to get those options I need to get the S.

The GTS comes into play because by the time I spec out an S exactly the way I want it, the GTS is only a few grand more and it comes with items/options that are not available on other trims and make the car just a little different.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:22 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Deleted - double post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:13 PM
websocket
AutoX

I too went the basic PDK route. It was a test drive in a 997 with manual transmission that hooked me. I'll be 61 when it arrives in April. First Porsche, first sports car. I toyed with some of the sport options but chose the daily driver mods only, even with an 8% discount. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHURI8F3

Quick Reply: New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !