Sponsored by:

New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
Default New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !

I had a 2010 GT3 for 3 1/2 years. I autocrossed it quite a bit all over the country for a year or 2. Amazing car.....not so amazing for a long drive after I wrecked my pick up truck (no more tow vehicle). Like an idiot I sold my GT3 too low. And included the crazy *** torque wrench and breaker bar I had with the car....regrets...

Anyway, fast forward to present day, picked up a 2017 911. Pdk, power steering plus, 14 seats. Yellow.

Wow ! Obviously rides harder and firmer than my 550i, duh. Amazing head lights. Crazy smooth amazing Pdk. Nice to have back up camera, parking sensors etc. I keep telling myself I am not going to screw with the alignment.....not going to deal with the hassle. Maybe just another set of wheels and tires...RE-71R.

My car came with Yokohama Advan 105...I think that's it. Rides pretty decent.....not sure on overall grip. Any opinion's on the Advan.

Anyway I only have 70 miles on the car.
I don't I need a faster car, this "base" feels more than quick enough to me !

My 991.2 base to me feels like a grown up GT3 to me.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:46 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! The base 991.2 is a very quick car.
I really only got my S because of the S-PASM wich isn't available on the base model.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:39 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats - the 991.2 series cars are very, very quick. Post up some photos - Racing Yellow looks stunning
Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
My thoughts exactly. After test riding C2, C2S, C4S it was hard to decide but after driving mine 1000 miles I have zero regrets on picking the C2. If I was to track it in Spa or Le Mans it would probably be different but on the road this is already so much car. Enjoy, and yes let's see some pics.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I had a 2010 GT3 for 3 1/2 years. I autocrossed it quite a bit all over the country for a year or 2. Amazing car.....not so amazing for a long drive after I wrecked my pick up truck (no more tow vehicle). Like an idiot I sold my GT3 too low. And included the crazy *** torque wrench and breaker bar I had with the car....regrets...

Anyway, fast forward to present day, picked up a 2017 911. Pdk, power steering plus, 14 seats. Yellow.

Wow ! Obviously rides harder and firmer than my 550i, duh. Amazing head lights. Crazy smooth amazing Pdk. Nice to have back up camera, parking sensors etc. I keep telling myself I am not going to screw with the alignment.....not going to deal with the hassle. Maybe just another set of wheels and tires...RE-71R.

My car came with Yokohama Advan 105...I think that's it. Rides pretty decent.....not sure on overall grip. Any opinion's on the Advan.

Anyway I only have 70 miles on the car.

My 991.2 base to me feels like a grown up GT3 to me.
It's post like this that are creating a problem for me. My lease is up next year and I have every intention on ordering a .2. But do I get the GTS, S or base? It's a very tough decision for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
It's post like this that are creating a problem for me. My lease is up next year and I have every intention on ordering a .2. But do I get the GTS, S or base? It's a very tough decision for me.
The base is more than enough for backroad driving, but if you track it, GTS for sure!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of all the 991.2 cars I've driven (C2, C4, C4S, Turbo S), the C2 was the most approachable and fun. It was lively, honest, confidence inspiring.

Now if only Porsche would put a 3.0 version of the new GT engine in it...
Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,943 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The base is more than enough for backroad driving, but if you track it, GTS for sure!
Or a 991.2 GT3 if tracking, whose base price won't be much more than a GTS...
Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Originally Posted by GrantG
Or a 991.2 GT3 if tracking, whose base price won't be much more than a GTS...
My car is dual purpose - street and AX / track. And most of my miles are on the street so I have pretty much ruled out a GT3 as I think it will be too track oriented for me.

I'm loving my C2 and have AX'd it several times. I'm taking it to an actually track in a couple of weeks so that might be enough to firmly convince me to go with the GTS.

The base models are just such great cars to start with.....
Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kinda giggling when hearing you need the S or GTS for the track, especially in monster torque 991.2 form ;-)

I remember going for 15y with an R-compound shod 911SC that would hang with the big guys in the turns but be left in the dust like it was tied to a pole on straights by GT3s etc... So I get that part, you need something a little faster in the fast group so you don't spend 30 minutes driving your mirrors... But even a base 991.1 or 991.2 is a lot of car for most folks to track, especially if they can drive it, unless there's an actual race or $$$ prize money involved in which case you need a race car anyway...

My contention is ANY 991 (especially a base .2) will more than suffice for the track, at worst you'll have to give one or 2 point-bys (Oh the humanity), at best you'll get better at maximizing the base car... The whole point is to get close the car's abilities.. If you are truly that good you can max out a base 991, you should buy an RSR ;-)

PS: All tongue in cheek, you buy what you want and use whatever excuses you need to get a faster car, I'm good with that, I need to buy your used GTSes in 2/3 years ;-)

Last edited by GregD; 02-06-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 PM
sam0182
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Yellow.
You post this but post no pics???? Come on!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
My contention is ANY 991 (especially a base .2) will more than suffice for the track, at worst you'll have to give one or 2 point-bys (Oh the humanity), at best you'll get better at maximizing the base car...
Agreed. Or any 981 too.

The other considerations definitely matter to the overall ownership experience - what else are you doing with it, do you want manual, do you want a 9K redline, etc.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GregD
Kinda giggling when hearing you need the S or GTS for the track, especially in monster torque 991.2 form ;-)

I remember going for 15y with an R-compound shod 911SC that would hand with the big guys in the turns but be left in the dust like it was tied to a pole on straights by GT3s etc... So I get that part, you need something a little faster in the fast group so you don't spend 30 minutes driving your mirrors... But even a base 991.1 or 991.2 is a lot of car for most folks to track, especially if they can drive it, unless there's an actual race or $$$ prize money involved in which case you need a race car anyway...

My contention is ANY 991 (especially a base .2) will more than suffice for the track, at worst you'll have to give one or 2 point-bys (Oh the humanity), at best you'll get better at maximizing the base car... The whole point is to get close the car's abilities.. If you are truly that good you can max out a base 991, you should buy an RSR ;-)

PS: All tongue in cheek, you buy what you want and use whatever excuses you need to get a faster car, I'm good with that, I need to buy your used GTSes in 2/3 years ;-)
No offense taken but I do have to point out....

Nowhere in this post (or any of my posts actually) have I ever said I NEEDED more than a Base C2 or was skilled enough to outdrive one.

If I needed a GTS /GT3 the choice would be simple, I'd get one for my next car. But Porsche is all about WANT for me. If I get another base will I always be longing for an S? Yeah probably because I would really like the upgraded suspension parts and brakes on the S. If I get an S will I always be longing for a GTS? Maybe. Not sure right now. I currently love the performance of my .1 base. But there are a few non-performance aspects of it that have convinced me NOT to buy it at the end of the lease. Since I will be ordering a new one anyway I should at least move up to an S right? RIGHT!?

I completely agree with you on the performance of the base C2. I question that if I jump up to a GTS if I will find myself saying to myself, "Dude you should have just got another base the way you wanted it, used it as a "beater" to DD, AX, track and C&C and saved $40K."

Ahhhhh truly First World problems. We are so fortunate.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Fun is fun. I don't have to be able to extract every last ounce of enjoyment out of a Coke before I purchase a bottle of Moët.

I started racing in Miatas in the mid-nineties. Got pretty good. But the best could still outpace me by a couple seconds on a mid-length track. Doesn't me I wasn't ready to move to faster sportscars.

Look at it this way: the worse you are, the more you need a really fast car to keep up with everyone else!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Im struggling with this as well. My purchase is strictly road going to be a weekend warrior that I might track once a year. It seems the C2 is more than enough power for street... hell some publications got its 0-60 time a few ticks under 4 seconds which is insane.

Im just concerned I might have regret I didn't get a bigger ball buster... when reality is I'll never approach its limits and is 15-40k worth a few tenths on the street

Quick Reply: New 991.2 Base Pdk....Wow !