Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil changes/My dealer's dirty little secret!!!Edited

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:16 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 277 Posts

stupid question but why does the hole "get bigger"?
Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

It is a kind of membrane material that stretches out when installed.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

When I changed my oil, I don't remember the hole from old filter getting about 50% larger.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
stupid question but why does the hole "get bigger"?
Ask "sexfiend"; that is his area of expertise
Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I supply the oil, filter, o-ring, crush washer and pay the dealer $120.00.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Geez, its made by the same folks that make the OEM. What is this obsession for Porsche OEM, its a branding model to separate you from your $$$.

Not any different than buying OEM rotors for 2x the cost of Sebro's, which last twice as long.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Ask "sexfiend"; that is his area of expertise
was thinking of a similar rhetoric
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Isn't the issue here what did the service department state on the work order they put in your car and of course whether you were charged accordingly? If you were charged for 'OEM Porsche parts' such as Porsche stamped filter(s), etc. and the dealer put in 'aftermarket' oil and air filters stamped Mann or Mahle, and this is a Porsche Dealer, I'd be on the phone to PCNA raising hell. If this was an Indy and you were charged a price for the minor service that included non OEM parts, then they did nothing wrong.

I have NOTHING against Mann or Mahle, as I've used them for years in my various German cars, but to me the issue is was I charged for OEM parts or charged for Aftermarket.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

It has the Mahle name on it and it has the right part number on it. How can you be concerned about something that is marked as the right part from the right manufacturer? I agree with some of the others that this is a much ado about nothing.

Yes the hole in an unused filter is small and when installed it is pressed down over a larger piece that pushes the membrane outward so the hole gets bigger after it is used. It was a big enough difference it worried me a little when I pushed my new filter on there during my oil change. Sometimes manufacturers of parts vary their materials a little over time so a superficial change like the color of the paper is inconsequential (and may just be from oil staining?)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Isn't the issue here what did the service department state on the work order they put in your car and of course whether you were charged accordingly? If you were charged for 'OEM Porsche parts' such as Porsche stamped filter(s), etc. and the dealer put in 'aftermarket' oil and air filters stamped Mann or Mahle,....
This-^

The dealer charged you Porsche list price plus any "market adjustment" then bought an OEM Mahle filter for $5 and pocketed the extra margin.

There's nothing at all wrong with the Mahle filter... except that they really over-charged for it.

Where to go from here is your call.

Edit: I, personally, expect to get what I pay for and get seriously .... annoyed ... when I don't.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

That is a Porsche OEM filter. What are you worried about?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
When I changed my oil, I don't remember the hole from old filter getting about 50% larger.
This is the incorrect guidance about oil change intervals IMHO. I don't dispute the science that indicates that Mobil 1 can go more than 10k miles. I dispute that the filters can go that long. I don't believe that paper and rubber can hold up to the rigors of the heat cycle. Just my 2c.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
That is a Porsche OEM filter. What are you worried about?
This is a Porsche OEM filter. If you are charged for an OEM filter, it should be from this packaging. If you are not sold a filter from this packaging, you should be charged appropriately less. No one (I believe) is arguing a 3rd Party filter isn't just as good.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:15 AM
bossboy302
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read (and re-read) the op's post at the start of this thread.
Nowhere did I find a reference to the amount he was charged for a filter.
It seems to me that his complaint was regarding the physical difference between the 2 filters in his photo, which has been clarified as "used" and "new".
Old 02-01-2017, 02:03 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLC2S
Edit: I suppose this could have been a genuine filter. Just didn't look or fit like the new one. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

After seeing all the discussion about DIY vs $400 dealership oil changes, I have some news for you about what you can expect for your awesome factory supported, genuine Porsche engineered parts oil change.

d

Until now, I had all my maintenance and service performed by one of the dealerships in my city. Well imagine my surprise, when I pulled out the oil filter from the cannister and saw this:

As you can see, the filter the dealership had installed was a "genuine" aftermarket Mahle branded filter which looks nothing like the Porsche genuine filter shown at the left. To make matters worse, despite the filter having the same part number, the holes in the top and bottom of the filter are much larger than the holes in the genuine filter. Typically the holes are just big enough to engage with resistance into the bottom of the filter cannister and to the lid of the cannister. In this case the filter wasn't held onto either side.

So, for those of you that think that the dealership is the best place to get your oil changed, maybe it's time to rethink it, especially if you live where I do and service your car at this prestigious dealership.

Oh, and yes, I e-mailed a picture of the filter to the service manager and he replied that the filter "is the correct part number for my vehicle"!
Do you see the "P" inside the triangle on the right side filter? Yeah, that's a Porsche stamp. Genuine Porsche part. Before calling out a dealer, you should know what you're talking about in depth.

Quick Reply: Oil changes/My dealer's dirty little secret!!!Edited