Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burmester vs Bose - sound quality question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 PM
joedjr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PDCC in my 2015 991 GTS and honestly can't feel the difference from when it's on or off. I will go with the word of the experts when they say it's a great option but I don't track the car and I know I don't take it nearly to the limits of performance on the streets. Heck sometimes I can't tell the difference in a $100 vs a $25 bottle of wine.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by skynet
The most important issue for me is the engineering quality of the recording itself. Well engineered recordings will sound great with Bose or Burmester. Poorly engineered recordings might actually sound worse on the Burmester than the Bose.
Yep - this is very true. Crappy, compressed recordings are sometimes unlistenable on a proper hifi system. My wife loves listening to Satellite radio which sounds worse than FM.

Part of it, frankly, is the temptation to just go all out on this thing.

Originally Posted by joedjr
I have PDCC in my 2015 991 GTS and honestly can't feel the difference from when it's on or off. I will go with the word of the experts when they say it's a great option but I don't track the car and I know I don't take it nearly to the limits of performance on the streets. Heck sometimes I can't tell the difference in a $100 vs a $25 bottle of wine.
That's been my impression from what I've read. I just don't see the value in a car that won't be tracked. The stock performance exceeds my abilities and nerve by a large margin.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:28 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

My understanding is the PDCC is always on, the button does nothing for PDCC even if printed on the button.

Its not just about performance, PDCC increases ride quality.

I like "going all in!" get the full leather or even two-tone, that's the best tick box!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

PDCC is always on. You may adjust your chassis settings with the button (normal or sport) but PDCC is always active.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by skynet
My understanding is the PDCC is always on, the button does nothing for PDCC even if printed on the button.

Its not just about performance, PDCC increases ride quality.

I like "going all in!" get the full leather or even two-tone, that's the most important tick box!
Earlier 991's equpped with PDCC didn't even have it indicated on the button. (Both of the 991S's I have owned had PDCC; neither had it indicated on the button.) And I agree with your point about ride quality. Love PDCC!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM
joedjr
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Earlier 991's equpped with PDCC didn't even have it indicated on the button. (Both of the 991S's I have owned had PDCC; neither had it indicated on the button.) And I agree with your point about ride quality. Love PDCC!
Mine has the PDCC button, i can turn it on and off but can't feel any difference. Are you saying it's a dummy switch just turning the red light on and off?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Mine has the PDCC button, i can turn it on and off but can't feel any difference. Are you saying it's a dummy switch just turning the red light on and off?
No, I am saying that when you press the button, it changes the chassis settings between sport and normal. PDCC is always active. This has been posted on Rennlist many times before. They added the label "PDCC" it to the chassis setup button in later years so that you would have an external indication that your car was, indeed, equipped with PDCC.

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) is a system for roll stabilisation of the vehicle body when driving.

Driving comfort and driving safety are improved by active intervention of the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles. Vehicle balance and agility are optimised.

No separate controls are available for the PDCC system.

When you select a chassis setup in Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) the PDCC system automatically activates the corresponding on-road driving programme.
If you search for PDCC on Rennlist, you find other posts on this, including when they started adding it to the button for the first time.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Without rehashing the entire "why PDCC is always on" thread, here is a link to one of them:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/825877-pdcc-option.html

See post #12 for an alternative i-manual quote than the one I found.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM
joedjr
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Without rehashing the entire "why PDCC is always on" thread, here is a link to one of them:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/825877-pdcc-option.html

See post #12 for an alternative i-manual quote than the one I found.

Cheers!
Thanks for the link..I'm a little confused, I need to read it a couple more times.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Thanks for the link..I'm a little confused, I need to read it a couple more times.
You wouldn't be the first one - they made it even more confusing by adding the label to the chassis setup button, when in truth it is always on (and adjusts to the chassis setting you select).

I am a PDCC fan (not everyone is) - I think it gives the 911 a great ride and when I autocross, I really enjoy how flat the car stays in turns. Most people who don't like it seem to be this those who track (I suppose because it might feel a little unnatural, less predictable as normal body roll?).

As for changing the chassis settings, normal is pretty comfortable to me. In sport setting for a PASM car (my first 991S had PASM), it definitely tightened the car up and gave it a stiffer ride. With a sport PASM equipped car (my current 991S), in chassis setting sport, it is even more tighter/firm. (I think chassis setting "normal" in a sport PASM equipped car also feels stiffer than normal in a PASM car, but still a pretty comfortable ride.)

Sorry for the PDCC hijack! Back to Bose versus Burmester!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Hurricane.

Part of the decision on getting Burmester is whether to get something else instead, so it's all relevant.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I had Bose and no PDCC in base C2 cab. I have Burmester and PDCC in my GTS C2 cab. They are both tremendous upgrades and I would suggest getting both if you can swing it. The Burmester is head and shoulders better than the Bose system. I agree that crappy audio - streaming through bluetooth, Sirius XM, etc - sounds even worse on Burmester but throw in a CD copy of Dark Side of the Moon, Mozart, or whatever, turn the PSE off (blasphemy!) and you are in for a treat. I love how planted my car feels with PDCC (and yes, it is always on, despite that deceptive button).
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are willing to spend the money on the BOSE, why not spend a little more for the Burmester? I would say base or Burmester.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THPorsche
If you are willing to spend the money on the BOSE, why not spend a little more for the Burmester? I would say base or Burmester.
Bose is standard on the Turbo, so upcharge is on the Burmester.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

I'd save the money, stick with Bose and go the .wav/CD music quality route.
Bit of an audiophile here and have 3 home sound systems, including a 5.1 Definitive setup for movies, a proper stereo setup with expensive JBLs and Kimber interconnects/speaker cables, also a mobile system which I use for DJ-ing gigs and NOTHING makes a bigger difference than a good quality music library as well as a "sweet listening" spot which is at a distance of roughly 1.5 times the length between the stereo setup.

Say what you want about cars but the seating position, movement and other noise (induction, exhaust, other components) don't really make for an optimal listening space

To each their own. I speak from personal experience and having spent many times more the money on the afore-mentioned home systems.

Quick Reply: Burmester vs Bose - sound quality question