Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof and resale

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd say simply if you don't want it, skip it.

Consider a lease if you're feeling like you change cars too often.

If you're more than a little worried about loss at resale consider that you can always downgrade the model and save a bundle. You probably won't do that so perhaps that's a good way to evaluate how much you're willing to tolerate losing at resale. (And why the difference in a roof isn't a big deal.)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I'd say simply if you don't want it, skip it.

Consider a lease if you're feeling like you change cars too often.

If you're more than a little worried about loss at resale consider that you can always downgrade the model and save a bundle. You probably won't do that so perhaps that's a good way to evaluate how much you're willing to tolerate losing at resale. (And why the difference in a roof isn't a big deal.)
It's a good problem. I'd be happy with either configuration.

Yeah, no way I'm wanting to back out of the Turbo. I'm very excited. It's a balanced build - tried to make it my own without getting too caught up. Which is dangerously easy to do. I did get the center locks, which I realize is not particularly popular around here (for reasons I understand), but I just love they way they look. At the moment, the build is well within my comfort zone.

I've read stuff on rennlist about people being told that the sunroof was an absolute necessity for trade in value. But I'm thinking that was dealer BS, if this thread is any indication. So I'll just figure out what I want and go with it.

I've actually done ok so far, as far as the buying and selling goes. Don't think I would have been much better off leasing in most of those cases, especially with the GT4. That said, I'm just not a lease kind of guy. Stupid, I know, but it doesn't feel the same. Can't explain it.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:21 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default This topic has been well covered...

so I don't see much new to add regarding your "personal" decision on buying a sunroof.

Without hijacking your thread, I will suggest a product that will help resolve the alleged squeaking problem. I have an "origami" style folding hardtop convertible that squeaked horribly when the top was up in coupe mode. It is an industrial type lubricant called krytox. When applied to all rubber molding surfaces very lightly it performed its lubricating magic for a 6 month period. Get the smallest amount possible because very little goes a long way.

So if a squeaky sunroof is your primary concern, I believe relief may be available.

GL with your decision.

Al
Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

There are obviously people in both camps. First and foremost, choose what you want and put resale value in a distant second. I personally don't use sunroofs, my daily has it and I never use it. My 911 doesn't have one and I love the clean look of no roof or headliner lines. My wifes BMW sunroof rattles.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the glass open feeling, I wouldn't order one without - sorta like pano roof on SUV
Old 01-16-2017, 03:09 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed...i don't tend to open the sunroof, but i like letting some light in. Cayenne GTS has one that i never open, but i love the feeling. GT3 doesn't, and it's not as 'open' feeling
Old 01-16-2017, 03:11 PM
nal13
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 43 Posts

Personal preference for everyone. My 991 has the glass roof and I absolutely love it. It opens up the whole interior and adds to the driving experience especially when open. I also love hitting 78 mph and seeing the tail raise that extra inch, making it visible through the rear view mirror. Sounds childish but it still makes me a little giddy every time it happens. I'll miss that when I change over to my incoming cabriolet in March.

Quick Reply: Sunroof and resale