Sponsored by:

2 GTS or 4GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
I own a 991.1 GT3 (which of course has RWS). And I can report the steering on it is otherwordly good. I also have a GT4, which has the same front end as 991.1 GT3 but no RWS. Despite reviewer's reports that GT4 steering is great, I can report that in side by side driving of both cars on same twisty mountain roads at same time, GT3 steering feels even crisper and more responsive, thanks, I think, mostly to the RWS.

All else being equal, the GT4 ought to have a an advantage over the GT3 in steering feel due to lighter overall weight of car and mid-engine balance, but it does not.

When I bought the GT3, I test drive it side by side with a new 991.1 GTS (2wd) and a used 991.1 50th Anniversary model (same setup as the GTS, basically). While both those cars were very good, they had no way near the telepathic steering feel as the GT3. Of course some of that difference one can chaulk up to the inherent differences in front suspension setup or maybe a tighter steering ratio on GT3 vs regular series 911's, I am confident much of the difference in feel was due to the GT3's RWS.

I have never felt that the RWS on my GT3 was anything other than a positive benefit, and I would order it as an option on a new GTS without hesitation.
I'm not with you here. If you drive a car 8 10ths the rws is going to shine. Will make a novice into a pro in no time. At the edge torque vectoring and rws is a real negative for me. The tire threshold changes based on computer algorithms which for a driver that seeks the limit becomes confusing. 991 is a numbers car. Sure it will allow the novice a chance to experience g- forces beyond what they are use to but for a pro it's not so good. I'd be more content with a base model and lsd. Not avaliable as you know. Porsche is no longer a drivers car and has become a car that drives you. Sorry but that the way I feel. I've decided to move on based on my two year experience with a 991 gts.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm not with you here. If you drive a car 8 10ths the rws is going to shine. Will make a novice into a pro in no time. At the edge torque vectoring and rws is a real negative for me. The tire threshold changes based on computer algorithms which for a driver that seeks the limit becomes confusing. 991 is a numbers car. Sure it will allow the novice a chance to experience g- forces beyond what they are use to but for a pro it's not so good. I'd be more content with a base model and lsd. Not avaliable as you know. Porsche is no longer a drivers car and has become a car that drives you. Sorry but that the way I feel. I've decided to move on based on my two year experience with a 991 gts.
That's fair and completely understandable. What feels good to a relative novice driver like myself may be the opposite for a more experienced / pro driver, or at least a driver whose experience comes from years of driving without this new tech.

I suspect most 911 owners, like me, aren't such expert drivers, though, and rarely, if ever, drive past 8/10ths. I'd venture further and say that anyone who has to ask the question about whether or not RWS is right for them probably falls into the camp of most 911 drivers, since those with top driving skills probably know the answer for their needs already.

By the way, are you selling a 991.1 GTS 7MT? If so, please PM me. I might be interested.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Lapis
That's fair and completely understandable. What feels good to a relative novice driver like myself may be the opposite for a more experienced / pro driver, or at least a driver whose experience comes from years of driving without this new tech.

I suspect most 911 owners, like me, aren't such expert drivers, though, and rarely, if ever, drive past 8/10ths. I'd venture further and say that anyone who has to ask the question about whether or not RWS is right for them probably falls into the camp of most 911 drivers, since those with top driving skills probably know the answer for their needs already.

By the way, are you selling a 991.1 GTS 7MT? If so, please PM me. I might be interested.
Sold already. Sorry but the porsche dealer also sold it in a few days after I dropped it off. Believe me though. a base car with lsd is a winner. Porsche is a greedy bunch and do not offer it for marketing purposes. Too bad because they lost a consumer.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Sold already. Sorry but the porsche dealer also sold it in a few days after I dropped it off. Believe me though. a base car with lsd is a winner. Porsche is a greedy bunch and do not offer it for marketing purposes. Too bad because they lost a consumer.
What? You sold your GTS? Why?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:10 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Bemo
What? You sold your GTS? Why?
Sorry Bemo. I wanted to hook up with you guys. I know your just up the road from me but I figured that it's time to explore the Ferrari avenue. my neighbor keeps raving about his scud. I'm not the type to usually jump ship but he let me drive it and well you know how that goes sometimes. I'll probably be back though. Who knows. Bin a porsche owner since 1990.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry Bemo. I wanted to hook up with you guys. I know your just up the road from me but I figured that it's time to explore the Ferrari avenue. my neighbor keeps raving about his scud. I'm not the type to usually jump ship but he let me drive it and well you know how that goes sometimes. I'll probably be back though. Who knows. Bin a porsche owner since 1990.
Congratulations!!
We can still connect one of these days.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Similar to what everyone else is saying... the whole point of getting the GTS is for RWD and a manual tranny. If you get a PDK or awd, you're better off speccing out a C4S or a turbo.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
Similar to what everyone else is saying... the whole point of getting the GTS is for RWD and a manual tranny. If you get a PDK or awd, you're better off speccing out a C4S or a turbo.
With the 991.1 GTS at least, if you wanted what was included it was cheaper to get the GTS, even for the AWD version. Alcantara, black bits, wheels, powerkit, PSE, etc. I haven't run the math for the new one, but if you want even one thing like Alcantara I imagine that justifies it.

Quick Reply: 2 GTS or 4GTS?