Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you buy a GTS instead of a 3.8 tt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:12 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Why would you buy a GTS instead of a 3.8 tt?

...especially if you were going to buy a Carrera 4 and/or PDK. The differences are becoming more blurred for me with these models. The big reasons I can thing of would be if you wanted rear wheel drive or a manual transmission. Prices are getting into the nosebleed range for a GTS w PDK once you start checking a few options boxes. Am I missing something?
Jim
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I *just* put in an order for a rear wheel drive GTS with a manual transmission and plan on trading in my 991.1 Turbo S for it, haha. Being able to spec it as a rear-drive car was a bonus, but the main thing was the manual transmission. I also personally find the body of the GTS a little bit simpler and dig it.

The power of the Turbo S is in a different league for sure, but I'm just not as involved in the experience as I want to be. I really do miss rowing my own gears as clichéd as it sounds.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
I *just* put in an order for a rear wheel drive GTS with a manual transmission and plan on trading in my 991.1 Turbo S for it, haha. Being able to spec it as a rear-drive car was a bonus, but the main thing was the manual transmission. I also personally find the body of the GTS a little bit simpler and dig it.

The power of the Turbo S is in a different league for sure, but I'm just not as involved in the experience as I want to be. I really do miss rowing my own gears as clichéd as it sounds.
This trade will probably still cost you some coin, especially if you are turning your ttS in to the dealer. I just hope you are not disappointed when you pull up to the first stoplight next to a Mustang 350R
J
Old 01-12-2017, 02:40 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

lol yeah, having the Turbo has gotten a lot of the hooligan stuff out of my system
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a RWD GTS to a Turbo S. GTS is definitely not as comfortable a DD as the TTS. Drive at street legal speeds and you feel as though you're driving through molasses, a lot of back and forth lurching. I can only imagine how painful a GT3 is. I began driving it less and less. The breaking point was when some guy in a Mustang GT smoked me on the highway. That was probably more driver error though

I guess I had underpurchased my first Porsche and had a nagging feeling from the start I probably should've gotten a TTS instead, but a large part in choosing the GTS was driven by an aversion to a AWD. I figured it was the fastest RWD Porsche I could get. Looks are subjective, and I thought I'd prefer the GTS over the TTS due to the more streamlined look of the GTS, until I parked my car next to a TTS. I was sold on the test drive, the AWD wasn't a problem at all for me. The acceleration was reminiscent of my
previous CLS63 AMG S, which was what I was longing for.

But the only benefit, IMO, with a GTS is it's cheaper and you'll pay less for depreciation. If you want to track the car, get a Z06.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I bet for some buyers, they just want the newest model, even if it's just 1 or 2 years newer.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
...especially if you were going to buy a Carrera 4 and/or PDK. The differences are becoming more blurred for me with these models. The big reasons I can thing of would be if you wanted rear wheel drive or a manual transmission. Prices are getting into the nosebleed range for a GTS w PDK once you start checking a few options boxes. Am I missing something?
Jim
Nope.

I went through the same thought process and switched. But then, I always loved the Turbo and backed myself into one as my budget progressively ballooned.

Some people just love the GTS and don't care that it's slower. If you are spending $150k+ on a toy, you get what you want.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Coming from outside the Porsche family or a from a Porsche somewhere down the food chain, you can't go wrong with either choice! Nice first world dilemma!!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In a tangential vein, I used to own a 993TT and a 993C4S Aero at the same time. The '98 Aero was gorgeous but sloooooooooow and the sports seats started to hurt my back after 20 minutes of driving. Kept the 993TT because it's so much faster, more comfortable and everything the turbo-bodied C4S was aspiring to be aesthetically.

Fast forward almost a decade and my 993TT's new stablemate is a GTS Targa. Aside from wanting a NA engine, since I already had a boosted one, I wanted something that I could enjoy... but in a markedly different way. While the PowerKit was a must have for its 3.8L, it wasn't remotely about speed or 0-60 times. Ultimately, nearly any new Porsche becomes slow over the years based on the acceleration of technological progress (sans for the Turbos and GT cars one might argue).

Get whatever car stirs your soul. And don't be surprised if the grass starts to look greener on the other side some times. Traffic makes me yearn for a PDK. Rainy weather makes me fantasize about a sunroof delete coupe. And a crying infant in the rear seat occasionally has me pining for a Panamera. But nothing is finer than piloting a Porsche through life.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Biggest reasons are if you want to row your own gears, and have rwd.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Get whatever car stirs your soul. And don't be surprised if the grass starts to look greener on the other side some times.
Yup!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Because I already own a TTS. I'm looking for a different car.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap

Get whatever car stirs your soul. And don't be surprised if the grass starts to look greener on the other side some times. Traffic makes me yearn for a PDK. Rainy weather makes me fantasize about a sunroof delete coupe. And a crying infant in the rear seat occasionally has me pining for a Panamera. But nothing is finer than piloting a Porsche through life.
Very well said.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I love the GTS, but would go for for the TT any day of the week! Its a beast.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Manual transmission.
Had a TT PDK. Never again. It's actually saving me money in the long run because after a year in the TT with no MT, I no longer lust after any car that can't be had with a clutch. And that's a lot of pricey metal that I no longer crave.

Quick Reply: Why would you buy a GTS instead of a 3.8 tt?