Sponsored by:

PDLS vs PDLS Plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PDLS vs PDLS Plus

Do most find a huge upgrade in lighting effectiveness with the LED lights in PLDS Plus compared to the Xenon Lights included in PLDS?

Aesthetically the LED lights look a little better, but the cost difference with Porsche is huge.

Also, if you wanted to change from xenon to LED, is it just a matter of swapping fixtures?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Here's a recent thread with a similar question that you may find interesting: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9672...ts-better.html.

That thread doesn't address the switch-over question though and I think it would be very challenging. Since the LED lights are PDLS+, they would require the camera that sits next to the rain sensor that works with that along with the processors and data feeds that would entail. On the TEquipment site, just buying a new set of LED lights with black trim to replace ones with silver trims costs $5600, and that is for cars already with LED lights! So they aren't cheap in any case.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws12
Also, if you wanted to change from xenon to LED, is it just a matter of swapping fixtures?
They are not plug & play. StormRune gave you a very good link already. There are several on this topic over the years.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been back and forth about which headlights to get and I've decided on LED for these reasons:

1. LED lights run a lot cooler and more efficient (longer life).
2. Latest technology in the latest version of the car
3. Resale is better if you decide to sale the car later (personally, I would not consider a used GT3 without the LEDs)
4. Car comes with LED daytime running lights and your headlights and tailights are all the same light type (LED).
5. They look better with the futuristic look they offer (Xenon gives the car a slightly dated look).
6. Better visibility at night and bulbs are a lot less prone to burn out.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:22 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick Murray's video comparison might be interesting:

Aesthetics are subjective, but with a 911 I think the more classic round appearance of the Xenons is superior. Still, I went with the LEDs, and I'm happy with the choice.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 PM
VAUROS
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll never go back to Xenon headlights unless LED is not an option on the vehicle I plan to buy.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Jacobello87
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche offers retrofit kit for PDLS+

in my opinion PDLS looks more "classic" but PDLS+ are more effective

i have + version on on my GTS and i love them
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

EURO LED lights are not fully functional in the USA.
I would not purchase a product that does not work the way Porsche designed it to work.-Richard
Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
I would not purchase a product that does not work the way Porsche designed it to work.-Richard
This should be codable at some point. I had my X4 lights coded to euro specs and the system is amazing. Anybody aware of coding for this?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
This should be codable at some point. I had my X4 lights coded to euro specs and the system is amazing. Anybody aware of coding for this?
I'm hoping someone will figure this out as I ordered my 2017 C2 with LED and would love to code them to European specs.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Is there a weight difference?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Perhaps not but the automated switch between high and low beams works like a charm! I love the feature and makes driving really dark roads much more pleasant. The system works great despite not being the full "Euro Spec" which, admittedly...I don't know what that means. i.e. I don't know what the EU cars headlights can do that mine can't.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the the PDls in my LEDs. LED in our 328 made them a must order for my boxster
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
Perhaps not but the automated switch between high and low beams works like a charm! I love the feature and makes driving really dark roads much more pleasant. The system works great despite not being the full "Euro Spec" which, admittedly...I don't know what that means. i.e. I don't know what the EU cars headlights can do that mine can't.
The European version has more functionality and is more dynamic. It adjusts the lighting and focuses where the light is needed, while sensing on-coming traffic and other ambient light conditions. The NA version simply turns the high beam off when it senses on-coming traffic or other sources of light.

There is a video out there that shows the difference, I'll try and find it.

Here is the video and thread.

PDLS vs PDLS+

Last edited by quattroboy; 08-13-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: found video
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

The op ask about the xenon vs the led pdls+. I Have owned both and to answer your question I don't perceive a significant difference. It may be the way our individual brains interrupt the light. I think the xenon's look less robotic and the light seemed more mellow, uniform and more relaxing to my eyes. I just had to have the led and part of my decision was the hope of eu code in the future. As far as switching to led I've never heard of that being done, which makes one think it's not practical.
The following users liked this post:
midwstCostofLivg (02-18-2023)

Quick Reply: PDLS vs PDLS Plus