Sponsored by:

LED lights PDLS+

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitcherama
.......... Actually that's a small lie - I had to intervene to save a lone cyclist from being blinded but that's it............

Best line of the post! I have to take the time to sincerely thank any driver who goes out of his way to accommodate cyclists, let alone a lone cyclist! (hard to read I know) But thank you for that, from a long time (35+ year) avid cyclist

Last edited by JustBud; 02-11-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Agreed, my pet peeve is to not get the best headlight option. Plus it's part of the face of the car! Compared to the regular PDLS, the PDLS+ is worth EVERY penny I'd say, it's just that good.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Where are you located? It sounds like you are talking about anti-dazzle features used in Europe but not approved by DOT in the U.S.
I'm in the U.K. Didn't realise the US spec was different. My lights adjust to the highest level they deem fit based on traffic/surroundings. The blue high beam light will stay lit but the beam will move in varying degrees. For example, if I'm following a car and slow down the lights will raise incrementally as the car ahead gains distance. When I am close to a car ahead, or have oncoming traffic the blue high beam light turns off and the headlights dip fully. It's the incremental dipping/raising (always giving you maximum reach) that I get excited about. It's just such cool tech and works faultlessly.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitcherama
I'm in the U.K. Didn't realise the US spec was different. My lights adjust to the highest level they deem fit based on traffic/surroundings. The blue high beam light will stay lit but the beam will move in varying degrees. For example, if I'm following a car and slow down the lights will raise incrementally as the car ahead gains distance. When I am close to a car ahead, or have oncoming traffic the blue high beam light turns off and the headlights dip fully. It's the incremental dipping/raising (always giving you maximum reach) that I get excited about. It's just such cool tech and works faultlessly.
Yes AFAIK we are still lagging behind.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...eadlight-tech/
Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 AM
babyjocko
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
Got a question for you guys out there. I understand that the PDLS Plus lights for the US are different from the European version. The US gets high and low beams while the Euro version will actually change configurations and alignments based on the on-coming traffic. Check You Tube for BMW intelligent LED lights I believe. Does anybody know is this just a software change? Is this anything that we can program in or do we need new hardware? And if true - thank you Uncle Sam for hobbling superior technology!
Not sure what you are referring to here. But, AFAIK, PDLS+ performs this way in the US. That's what the camera in the windshield is for.

This is not new technology. Nor is the US excluded from it. My 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 had it as standard equipment. My 2016 Tesla Model S has it. The camera in the windshield detects oncoming traffic and adjusts the beams asynchronously to avoid blinding the oncoming driver. Of course they also turn with the steering once above a minimum speed.

US regulations will not exclude this. US has the toughest regulations in the world. Soon, LCA and brake assist will be mandated on all US cars.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:08 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Not sure what you are referring to here. But, AFAIK, PDLS+ performs this way in the US. That's what the camera in the windshield is for.

This is not new technology. Nor is the US excluded from it. My 2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 had it as standard equipment. My 2016 Tesla Model S has it. The camera in the windshield detects oncoming traffic and adjusts the beams asynchronously to avoid blinding the oncoming driver. Of course they also turn with the steering once above a minimum speed.

US regulations will not exclude this. US has the toughest regulations in the world. Soon, LCA and brake assist will be mandated on all US cars.
I had once found an article talking about this better, but the key difference between the US version and the RoW versions are found in the phrasing they use for the different country feature descriptions, with the key word being "seamless".

For the RoW, PDLS+ reads just like Fitcherama described:
A camera detects the lights of vehicles ahead as well as those of oncoming traffic. Based on the data from the camera, the dynamic main beam function then adapts the headlight range accordingly. This continuous, seamless control means that you are able to see the course of the road, pedestrians and potential hazards earlier without hindering other road users.
While in the US it reads differently with a clear "step" described. Mine clearly operate in this fashion.
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
I had once found an article talking about this better, but the key difference between the US version and the RoW versions are found in the phrasing they use for the different country feature descriptions, with the key word being "seamless".

For the RoW, PDLS+ reads just like Fitcherama described:
A camera detects the lights of vehicles ahead as well as those of oncoming traffic. Based on the data from the camera, the dynamic main beam function then adapts the headlight range accordingly. This continuous, seamless control means that you are able to see the course of the road, pedestrians and potential hazards earlier without hindering other road users.
While in the US it reads differently with a clear "step" described. Mine clearly operate in this fashion.
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.
I'll have to see how my Porsche precisely handles this. My MB E550 definitely behaves according to your RoW description. I don't know why Porsche USA would exclude this feature. But then, MBUSA has a habit of excluding nice to have features in an effort to maximize profit. Perhaps Porsche USA uses similar tactics.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had my BMW coded to turn on the full European capabilities of their LED Dynamic lights. The difference is remarkable. Lighting is frequently adjusting to traffic, curves, speed, etc. I'd like to find coding to get the most out of our PLDS+ as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Anti-dazzle lighting in a BMW

Last edited by Gary JR; 02-14-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
I just had my BMW coded to turn on the full European capabilities of their LED Dynamic lights. The difference is remarkable. Lighting is frequently adjusting to traffic, curves, speed, etc. I'd like to find coding to get the most out of our PLDS+ as well.
I'd be very interested in knowing if that's possible too. Irritates me that the LEDs aren't fully functional in the US. Still ordered them though.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects
I'd be very interested in knowing if that's possible too.
I'd like this, too, if ever possible.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:56 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm very interested too, I can't decide if the LED with PDLS Plus is worth the extra cost over HID and having this functionality would make the difference and sell me on it.

This BMW video explains how the dynamic function works, wondering if the PDLS Plus system would behave this way.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
I am concentrating all my spare time selecting the right options for my march allocation GTS Cabriolet,

and when I have just convinced myself that I can live without PDLS+, and that black basic PDLS is just as nice looking, I see this post. Such timing.

lol im in the exact same boat. The PDLS plus does offer a bit more visual appeal as the trim around the headlight is all black instead of some type of brushed aluminum. Also the four point feature of the plus is very cool..

Personally I could not careless about the Plus being slightly more efficient. For me it's much more about contrast with black wheels on my guards red build... but damn is it really worth that extra 2.5k
Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 PM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

They are so bright and uniform and make the lines on the road stand out.

But forget all that, they just look so cool.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

In my case I want the best that my equipment can deliver. As such I want my headlights to operate at the highest level that they "were designed" to be. Damn the US specs. My day-to-day car is a 95.5 Audi S6 with euro suspension, euro HID lights and another 140HP and it feels just about right. I am fair skinned and for sun tan lotion for the past 15 years I bought from Canada for stuff not yet approved for sale in the USA. I'm tired of being denied the best of the best available. Our country has to get the gov't off our backs!! Just the rants of a former CFO, CEO who is tired of big brother looking out for my "interests."

Quick Reply: LED lights PDLS+