Sponsored by:

Are LED headlights better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:37 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are LED headlights better?

Finalizing my order....going back and forth on Xenon vs LED. It is a very frugal build so I am careful with every penny. As it stands there is ~$1400 difference between the standard bi-xenon lights vs LED. Other than the daytime running lamp appearance (which I'm indifferent about), do these LED's outperform xenons in any way?

I'm sure opinions will be split but I'd like to hear pros and cons from each camp....
Old 12-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

I have PDLS LED on my 991 and Bi-Xenon on my Cayman. Noticeably better on the PDLS/LED. Anything that helps me see better is a worthy investment.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a difference, if you are in Europe, as the LED gradually dim or get brighter depending on incoming traffic, etc. This feature is disabled on the US models. In the USA there are only the two settings of bright and dim.

If you are counting every penny, there are probably better options to get.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:48 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I've had both the last few years and will always get LEDs if I can find them. They are brighter and reach farther for sure. $1400 is a small price to pay for better visibility.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:53 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Optional pdls are great. LED is wasting money & I don't like the 4 dots.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:09 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have LEDs in the Cayenne and 911, Bi-Xenon in the Box-S and Volvo. The LEDs are better even with the North American limitations. However, I still find the Bi-Xenon's to be fine at night. Where I really notice a difference is when I drive 'old' style Halogens, such as my MX-5 and my Chevy Truck. I do not do alot of outside the city night driving anymore, so pretty much a moot point for me. It is a pricey tick-box for sure. However, if you drive a lot at night in the country LEDs would be a good bet, if you do mostly city stuff after dark as I do, not such a big deal.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

The ring and the four dots look dated to me. I can't unsee them as the round VW Bettle headlights. The light is definitely different and you might prefer it. As mentioned above, any actual brightness benefit is lost for USA spec cars. But if you feel one temperature or the other of the lights helps you see better then you don't need to justify it to anyone.

Take the same incremental cost and apply it to some interior option like a leather upgrade--it would probably make more difference day to day.

The new interior 4 dot DRL on the base 991.2 are slick looking though. Love them on every model Porsche offers.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Dirac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had LEDs on my RCF also; they seem to make a difference in visibility. I wonder when we'll get the R8's laser headlights?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Better in what way...cosmetices...performance ? Had the Bi-Xenons's on the 50th and LED's on current GTS. Like the roundness/seperation of the Bi-Xenon's aesthetically but thats just me. Don't drive much at night and even if I did would choose the Bi-Xenon's if ordering today..02 T
Attached Images   

Last edited by 77tony; 12-18-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
There is a difference, if you are in Europe, as the LED gradually dim or get brighter depending on incoming traffic, etc. This feature is disabled on the US models. In the USA there are only the two settings of bright and dim.
There's PDLS & PDLS PLUS ($2340).....video below. I have the option to check or uncheck in the MFD lighting menu on my '15 TT.

Had Bi-xenon PDLS on a '13 991C2S and now LED PDLS PLUS on my '15 TT. I can't tell any difference in illumination of the road between the two.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:55 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The light field is extremely even with LEDs; it is just a pure field of white across the entire coverage area of the headlights. even more so than the xenons (at least when compared to my prior 997.2 headlights). I have to admit that its a refinement I had never noticed as absent with the xenon's on my prior 911s, but it caught my eyes with these. It's nice but not a necessity.

I assume that on the 997.2 version that PDLS+ (notice the Plus) is also only available on the LEDs. With that, a camera is added next to the rain sensor that intelligently looks for other car headlights/taillights and auto-dims/brightens the high beams for you. It functions phenomenally well. As RS911 points it the Euro version its functionality is even cooler. But that is only valuable when driving distances at speed at night in the countryside.... something that has only substantially benefitted me twice in 5 months so far, although for a few hours when it did and it got to be really nice. You usage may vary.

The last subtle functionality difference to be aware of is that on LED lights, both the upper AND lower light on both sides are always on. One pivots and the other doesn't. This gives you better fill at night when turning even when high beams aren't needed, but again a fairly subtle but nice difference. When high beams turn on, the upper one appears to have a partial shutter mechanism that opens similar to the xenons (or it could just be more LEDs that turn on?), but the net result is that the distant light coverage is substantially better than xenon's in my opinion. Again, mostly important only in rural driving late at night.

Finally, while Tangerine says he thinks the running light aspect of it makes the car feel dated, I've had two different people just recently think my car must be brand new (it's a 2014 and these were non-Porsche people) since they don't typically see the 4 hotspot halo. Even at Porsche get-together's I've gotten unsolicited compliments saying how distinctive and cool they look as the car approaches. Maybe some think they are dated, but I don't think that is the case for most.

So while I wouldn't disallow a car that didn't have them, given a choice on two otherwise fairly matched cars, I personally would always pick the one with the LEDs (but I always buy CPO). As to whether all that's worth $1400 to you is up to you. In my CPO case, it was one of a couple of factors that caused me to buy the car I have over one other almost identical choice.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I have PDLS+ on my 991 TTS, and I like it quite a bit. It's a significant improvement over the HID lights in my 997 TT, although I haven't driven a 991 with HIDs for comparison. I drive on lots of twisty mountain roads at night, and I'm always worried about hitting wildlife. Therefore, I consider this to be a useful feature.

I have noticed that the lights seem to swivel for curves before I turn the steering wheel. Sometimes I swear it is happening, and sometimes I think it's my mind tricking me. I haven't decided yet! My only complaint about my LED lights is that there seems to be a "hot spot" where the light is noticeably brighter that occurs on the road on the left side, directly in front of the driver. This hot spot is just below the cutoff point of the driver's side headlight. I have often wondered if this is normal or if I need to have the headlights serviced.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:39 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have PDLS+ on my 991 TTS, and I like it quite a
I have noticed that the lights seem to swivel for curves before I turn the steering wheel. Sometimes I swear it is happening, and sometimes I think it's my mind tricking me. I haven't decided yet! ...
Hey Dennis. It might be possible. When I was researching this prior to buying my car I remembering seeing something about it integrating with the navigation system. However, this excerpt doesn't mention anticipating curves in the road ahead in particular, it only mentions intersections. But if it can do this then maybe it could do what you mention too? I'll have to check it out, it isn't something I've noticed.

Here's the excerpt:
PDLS Plus encompasses the familiar lighting functions of dynamic cornering and country road light as well as a separate mode for motorway sections and adverse weather conditions. The camera-based dynamic main beam function eases the burden for the driver thanks to automatic adjustment of the lighting range during night driving. Based on the navigation data from the PCM, the intersection light activates an additional lamp unit to deliver the best possible illumination of the area into which the vehicle is turning.
As to having a strong hotspot, mine are as even as can be. I don't know if I can capture a good image of my light pattern with my iPhone camera against my garage wall or something (lights can be tough) but I'll give it a "shot" and we could compare if you'd like. I'll PM you with a photo if it turns out well.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I have LEDs with the PDLS Plus. They are great. Are they better than bi xenons? I don't know. Why did I get them? Two reasons; I loved the halo DRLs, and I thought they would be more automotive lighting relevant going forward.

The functionality of the PDLS+ is the real star here.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

For anyone deciding, try to see them in person--obviously the dealer is the easiest place to see different configs side by side.

It's very hard to go by pictures due to how light/exposure works. You want to see them off (but DRL on) in the day and night ideally. I just mean for the external cosmetic appearance--there is a difference and you might like one or the other better.

Quick Reply: Are LED headlights better?