991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Announced

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017 | 10:56 AM
fanporsche
AutoX

Seems that, like me, most are skipping the Rear Wheel Steering option in the GTS. What are the reasons?
I am still in doubt...
Old 01-30-2017 | 11:01 AM
Simonl72
Instructor

I picked it for my GTS order.

Test drove a C2S with it on, very impressed. Made the car feel very nimble, also had power steering plus so ticked that option too.

March build confirmed.....counting the days now.
Old 01-30-2017 | 11:22 AM
Dude174
Racer

So configurator question - the wheel and shift **** are alcantara. Looks like if you choose the sport gt (smaller) wheel at no charge - the picture is leather wheel and leather shift **** - but there's no text on it. Interestingly the brushed aluminum shift **** appears to be with leather boot instead of alcantara also. Does one have to order brushed aluminum **** to get leather boot?
Old 01-30-2017 | 05:31 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

As others said, I prefer the silver bar on the targa roof. But the black bar, is a great way to pay homage to the GTS badging.
Old 01-31-2017 | 12:33 AM
LnC993
Pro

Originally Posted by Dude174
So configurator question - the wheel and shift **** are alcantara. Looks like if you choose the sport gt (smaller) wheel at no charge - the picture is leather wheel and leather shift **** - but there's no text on it. Interestingly the brushed aluminum shift **** appears to be with leather boot instead of alcantara also. Does one have to order brushed aluminum **** to get leather boot?
I don't think so. Looks like if one select Leather GT Sport Steering Wheel option on a GTS, the gear lever/selector/boot now is also leather instead of Alcantara.

That Alcantara GT Sport Steering Wheel together with gear lever/selector/boot in Alcantara is a $910 option on non-GTS models. And by selection that leather GT Sport steering wheel option on a GTS, I think it merely delete or revert that Alcantara option.
Old 01-31-2017 | 10:32 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Originally Posted by fanporsche
Seems that, like me, most are skipping the Rear Wheel Steering option in the GTS. What are the reasons?
I am still in doubt...
I had the Real Wheel Steering option on an BMW 6 series couple of years ago.

My conclusion is that, one cannot differenciate or pass a blind test on the presence or functioning of real wheel steering.

It does shine in crowded parking lot; definitely reduces turning radius.

Other than that, just adds weight.
Old 01-31-2017 | 10:39 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by fanporsche
I am still in doubt...
I would say yes if you track the car or need to navigate tight parking lots. Either one would push me to include.

I always park in isolation so rear wheel steering not very applicable for me. I do track my 991 and would choose it just for that reason alone.
Old 01-31-2017 | 11:07 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Honestly the car was developed with RWS, I would'nt leave it out as it does significantly change the character of the car on any given turn and makes turn in that much sharper. I've got it on my build.
Old 01-31-2017 | 11:09 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
I had the Real Wheel Steering option on an BMW 6 series couple of years ago.

My conclusion is that, one cannot differenciate or pass a blind test on the presence or functioning of real wheel steering.

It does shine in crowded parking lot; definitely reduces turning radius.

Other than that, just adds weight.
It makes the car seconds faster on any long track compared with and without as well, the weight is DEFINITELY worth it with a car that already weighs over 3400.
Old 01-31-2017 | 02:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Honestly the car was developed with RWS, I would'nt leave it out as it does significantly change the character of the car on any given turn and makes turn in that much sharper. I've got it on my build.
Originally Posted by sechsgang
It makes the car seconds faster on any long track compared with and without as well, the weight is DEFINITELY worth it with a car that already weighs over 3400.
+1 if you plan to track I would say its a MUST HAVE, just look at the improvement it made to the 991 GT3 handling.
Old 01-31-2017 | 02:31 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

I find it interesting that many of the reasons provided for having RWS as a must have option are similar in nature to the reasons given for why AWD is a complete waste. Just saying.

If I were deciding on whether to check the box, not sure I would just for a few added seconds for casual track days. One of my favorite things about driving on the track is being able to throttle steer the rear wheels through and out of corners. Seems like this trait would essentially be negated with RWS. But there is certainly an element of coolness to it that I would love to experience either way.

Question: Can you actually see the rear wheels turned (albeit ever so slightly), when parked for example? That would be pretty cool too.
Old 01-31-2017 | 02:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I find it interesting that many of the reasons provided for having RWS as a must have option are similar in nature to the reasons given for why AWD is a complete waste. Just saying.

If I were deciding on whether to check the box, not sure I would just for a few added seconds for casual track days. One of my favorite things about driving on the track is being able to throttle steer the rear wheels through and out of corners.
Doesn't seem to be a problem on the GT3/GT3RS.
Old 01-31-2017 | 02:44 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Doesn't seem to be a problem on the GT3/GT3RS.
Nor does AWD seem to be a problem on the AWD variants. Just pointing out that each has added weight, complexity, probably improved track times or at least confidence, arguably takes away some driver involvement, etc. But one is a must have option, the other is often scoffed at.
Old 01-31-2017 | 08:32 PM
TopspeedPT
Racer

Old 01-31-2017 | 09:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Nor does AWD seem to be a problem on the AWD variants. Just pointing out that each has added weight, complexity, probably improved track times or at least confidence, arguably takes away some driver involvement, etc. But one is a must have option, the other is often scoffed at.
No, I agree with you re: AWD, just saying that the RWS doesn't seem to cause any problem throttle steering these cars.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Announced