Sponsored by:

Burmester systems- Porsche vs Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Burmester systems- Porsche vs Mercedes

Does anyone have first hand experience comparing the Burmester systems in these two cars?
Thoughts, comments you can share if you have?

It comes standard in Mercedes AMG, while Porsche dings us a hefty premium..

Thanks for any help offered.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I have Burmester in my Cab.

Not impressive. Honestly don't know the difference, but it is likely substantial.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have burmester in my c4s cab and my s550. The one in the 911 is, in my opinion very good, since the interior is smaller, there are less speakers, but the sound is absolutely incredible. Way better than Bose IMO. The S has a good system, but doesn't even come with a sub, without the upgraded version. Missing the low end. I've been thinking about adding a small sub in the trunk.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxr
I have burmester in my c4s cab and my s550. The one in the 911 is, in my opinion very good, since the interior is smaller, there are less speakers, but the sound is absolutely incredible. Way better than Bose IMO. The S has a good system, but doesn't even come with a sub, without the upgraded version. Missing the low end. I've been thinking about adding a small sub in the trunk.

Well that would explain not charging a premium. Be like a rose bush that never gets a rose.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Burmester in our 2015 Macan S, and love it. But the Macan is much quieter inside than our 991 Carrera 4. I have the Bose in the 911. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money for Burmester in a 911, since I don't think I could enjoy the better sound system in a noisier 911. But then, I don't usually listen to music in the 911, other than the music of the flat 6.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 PM
dloines
Advanced

Have it in my Benz (non AMG MB equips various models with it) and demo'd it in a 911. I am somewhat of an audiophile with home stereo equipment, IMHO its not the best bang for the buck even in the Benz. Besides room acoustics (which you will never have in a 911 and not the greatest in a MB sedan) the next thing you need to enjoy high quality sound is a very low noise floor for both the equipment and the room (or car in this case) which you will never have in a 911 or even in a luxury car as in the MB. IMHO the bose system sells the burmester in the 911, for the price Porsche asks for the burmester you can get a much better system for half the price (and keep the head unit for OEM look) although you will still have the same limitations for quality of sound. IMHO putting a system like burmester in a 911 is like putting a free flowing/loud exhaust on a S class MB, really defeats the purpose, in driving a sports car in the true sense. If your really into driving a 911 that $5K to $6k could be used on much better things like a drivers class.....just MHO....
Old 01-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Maxr
Instructor

I didn't spec the car but appreciate the previous owner doing so. I'm a cab any help you can get is good.
I agree with you, aftermarket 6k goes a long way and the end result is better 100%
Old 01-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dloines
If your really into driving a 911 that $5K to $6k could be used on much better things like a drivers class.....just MHO....

That only holds up if you don't have the 5 or 6k to spend with little or no consequence...just IMHO...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Have it in my Benz (non AMG MB equips various models with it) and demo'd it in a 911. I am somewhat of an audiophile with home stereo equipment, IMHO its not the best bang for the buck even in the Benz. Besides room acoustics (which you will never have in a 911 and not the greatest in a MB sedan) the next thing you need to enjoy high quality sound is a very low noise floor for both the equipment and the room (or car in this case) which you will never have in a 911 or even in a luxury car as in the MB. IMHO the bose system sells the burmester in the 911, for the price Porsche asks for the burmester you can get a much better system for half the price (and keep the head unit for OEM look) although you will still have the same limitations for quality of sound. IMHO putting a system like burmester in a 911 is like putting a free flowing/loud exhaust on a S class MB, really defeats the purpose, in driving a sports car in the true sense. If your really into driving a 911 that $5K to $6k could be used on much better things like a drivers class.....just MHO....
I am also a bit of an audiophile. All audio systems are only ever as good as what you feed into them, and in the case of Porsche we are restricted to feeding the speakers low quality compressed files (unless you are taking original CDs around with you).

In which case, you can upgrade all you like but its all a bit pointless. Anyway, PSE gives me all the music I want to hear when I am in the 911.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Agree 100%. Seems a waste of money to put such a system in such a terrible acoustic environment.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spiderv6
(unless you are taking original CDs around with you).
CD quality files on iPhone is easy.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a Burmester audio system in my C class - it's a £675 option and I think I read on an MB forum that it's not made by Burmester, only designed by them. The quality is not bad for the price but nothing special and I doubt it will sound as good as the Porsche system, which probably doesn't sound that good anyway. There is definitely a higher end Burmester system in the S class.

I installed a custom Audison / Focal system in my R8 for ~£3,000 and it's miles better than anything I've heard, although any system is going to struggle to compete against a V8 or F6 on full song. The best factory system I have heard was in a Volvo a couple of years ago - I think it was Infinity
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Great discussion and points well made by all, thank you.

My wife's incoming C43 AMG has as standard equipment a Burmester system. My Turbo build freezes shortly so I am just looking for discussion on the merits of optioning it for my car.
Also the higher end AMG and S class cars have an option for a 3D Burmester system that's 50% more $$ than Porsche's Burmester option...

Head spinning...

Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

I had BOSE in my '13 Boxster S, Burmester in my '15 TT, BOSE in my '16 Boxster GTS and now have the base Burmester in my S550. The Targa on order is getting BOSE.
We drove side by side 911s with BOSE and Burmester before ordering the TT using Classical CDs (DDD). At rest, the Burmester was clearly superior. The difference was much less obvious underway. In the Benz, I'm usually listening to Fox or BBC on Sirius.
Wouldn't pay extra for it again, but that's me.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the burmester in the 911 is alot better than the bose. I would be willing to pay the 5000 to upgrade if I could. I dont know too much about the burmester in the new MB except the ones Ive test drove, i considered to be about the same quality as the porsche.
The SL I bought has the B&O system, which has pretty good highs and surprisingly good bass.
I would also pay the 6500 to get this over the bose
The SL already has good deadening but with every 911 ive had, I put in my own sound deadening and I believe thats the key to making the whole system sound good.
heres some mods for bermester;
https://w205audio.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply: Burmester systems- Porsche vs Mercedes