Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got screamed at this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jay-S
for doing 33 in a 25. I was in Sport-Manual mode so I was certainly being loud. It jumpstarts your heart at 6:30 in the morning. Just glad the guy didn't jump out in front of me.
A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I was driving down a country road which leads to a bike and hike trail. So although rural, it's not unusual to see people walking to their cars parked on the road since the trail's parking lot is relatively small.
Around 11:00 on a beautiful Spring morning, I was driving with the top down and enjoying the beautiful Spring day. My joy ended however when a woman, probably in her early 70s began yelling and cursing me. She screamed a profanity laden diatribe at me, commanding me to slow the F down. I was initially mortified for inadvertently speeding, until I looked at my digital speed which specified 37 MPH. The speed limit is 35 MPH. So I just attributed it to the fact that either Porsches appear to be travelling far faster than they are or that woman really hates Porsches.
Old 01-06-2017 | 10:48 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay-S
So I decided to take stock of all the speed limits on the way to work. Was surprised to find I was wrong about going 33 in a 25. I was going 33 in a 35 (yea me!). Feel a little better about getting screamed at.

Need to think more on the PSE usage because there is sometimes a gray area as to what is really residential. For example, look at the picture...that's residential but there are no houses close to the road. What to do...

P.S. I really want to go clean that sign.
easy answer here bro! Turn on that PSE and enjoy your car as it's meant to be. Can't live trying to keep everybody happy. If they are pissed about your car they will find something else to be mad about so make it easy for them and say "Your Welcome!"
Old 01-06-2017 | 11:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

I had a specific distant neighbor that gave me a very animated and dramatic thumbs down while mouthing slow down on two occasions. I had a 997 GTS with sharkwerks and was going under 25. I stopped the last time to see what his deal was and he basically said someone in an exotic pissed him off once and anyone in expensive cars knows one another or something like that, ergo I was a dick. Whatever. Cleared it up pretty quick and he waves now.
Old 01-07-2017 | 02:16 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

I think someone said earlier but is so perfect. Haters gonna hate.
Old 01-07-2017 | 03:40 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I had a specific distant neighbor that gave me a very animated and dramatic thumbs down while mouthing slow down on two occasions. I had a 997 GTS with sharkwerks and was going under 25. I stopped the last time to see what his deal was and he basically said someone in an exotic pissed him off once and anyone in expensive cars knows one another or something like that, ergo I was a dick. Whatever. Cleared it up pretty quick and he waves now.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”
Old 01-07-2017 | 04:07 AM
randr
Banned

I've had a couple of instances like some of those described here.

The first occurred in a residential street when I was on my way to visit a work colleague who had moved house. A guy started waving his arm at me as I went past. I stopped, and reversed back to him and asked how I could help. Amazingly he started yelling at me that I was speeding like an *** hat blah blah etc Porsche drivers etc. Once he'd finished I told him I was doing 30kmh in a 50kmh zone and drove off (the PSE was on, generally in residential areas I switch it off).

The second event, occurred a few months ago and was quite nasty - I had pulled into my drive and was un-packing some wine from the frunk (A case of Barollo). A neighbour (who lives about 100m away from my townhouse) came up to me and was ranting about me launching my GTS from the junction (which is next to his house) and that he could tell because he "raced the strip". It was complete nonsense and the abuse was sufficiently venomous and spite laden that I pulled out my phone and called the cops.

The cops arrived, he told his side of the story to one officer and I explained my side of the story to the other officer. I showed the officer that I had sports chrono and that I had data logged that journey (I do this quite often particularly around public holidays etc when double demerit points are on offer). I told the officer I was prepared to take it all the way to court if this individual persisted in claiming that I was "hooning" and pointed out the evidence from the logger would show that I had driven up to the stop sign, paused for around three seconds and never exceeded 25kmh (in a 50kmh zone) before turning into my drive approx. 100m from the sign.

Needless to say the "guy" backed down. The officers walked him to his home where they talked to him a further 15 mins. I waited, one of the officers went back to his vehicle. The other came over to me an explained that the guy completely folded, his wife had left him and he was suffering some financial problems etc and just wanted to "punt the rich guy". They pointed out the various penalties for wasting police time etc. He coughed up he may have mistook the noise for speed - my PSE was on and the exhaust is stock (which is very obvious)

All in all the guy wasted close to 45 minutes of Police time for an untruthful and vexatious claim. It is clear from this thread there a plenty of people that resent Porsche owners without perhaps having the awareness to recognise that we may have worked darn hard for our success.

For reference I have had a total of three low grade speeding tickets in over 35 years of licensed driving and none for last 25 years
Old 01-07-2017 | 08:45 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randr
I pulled out my phone and called the cops.

They pointed out the various penalties for wasting police time etc.
Maybe I missed something but aren't you the one who called the cops and wasted their time over this trivial event? (IMHO)
Old 01-07-2017 | 09:20 AM
Dana Camanara
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=MinMay;13859931]I have one of those old Corvette in my neighborhood that loves to roar his loud POS exhaust. It's so annoying...I hope that car find itself in a junk yard someday. [/QUO

Last edited by Dana Camanara; 01-07-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2017 | 09:30 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Maybe I missed something but aren't you the one who called the cops and wasted their time over this trivial event? (IMHO)
LOL must have been a slow day for the cops. I'd have warned the Porsche guy.
Old 01-07-2017 | 09:34 AM
Dana Camanara
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MinMay
I have one of those old Corvette in my neighborhood that loves to roar his loud POS exhaust. It's so annoying...I hope that car find itself in a junk yard someday.
I have to say as a long time owner of Porsche and Corvette who has enjoyed and appreciated both cars for years, you do nothing but perpetuate the perception of the condescending, smug attitude of Porsche owners. That's really too bad, be careful, the new Corvette is winning over Porsche owners in a way never seen before. You might have to wake up and realize the new vettes are kicking your a$$, especially when your Porsche buddies are buying them and showing up at PCA track events and blowing by you. Hopefully, they won't relegate your Porsche to the junkyard.
Old 01-07-2017 | 10:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dana Camanara
I have to say as a long time owner of Porsche and Corvette who has enjoyed and appreciated both cars for years, you do nothing but perpetuate the perception of the condescending, smug attitude of Porsche owners. That's really too bad, be careful, the new Corvette is winning over Porsche owners in a way never seen before. You might have to wake up and realize the new vettes are kicking your a$$, especially when your Porsche buddies are buying them and showing up at PCA track events and blowing by you. Hopefully, they won't relegate your Porsche to the junkyard.

Out of over 50 posts here regarding who is wrong here, a pedestrian, a loud PSE at 6:30am, speeding, being a hater, etc ....

It's a sensitive angry VETTE owner who comes out the most vicious who somehow overreacts to a post. Talk about hilarious.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:13 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Out of over 50 posts here regarding who is wrong here, a pedestrian, a loud PSE at 6:30am, speeding, being a hater, etc ....
It's a sensitive angry VETTE owner who comes out the most vicious who somehow overreacts to a post. Talk about hilarious.
I was surprised by that post as well. It certainly did seem like a major overreaction. I've owned and enjoyed five Corvettes over the years so and the post he referenced didn't even register as general Vette-hate to me... just that one obnoxious jerk happened to be in a Vette.

Such a good idea to make your first post a flame and then denigrate the entire class of cars that the forum is made for! That helped his cause a lot.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:21 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Ah... I see. We should drop any further consideration of this Dana Camanara guy. He's a hater in general, and especially a Porsche hater. I doubt he has one, he just dropped in to stir things up here.

Here is a list of 49 of his posts on Disqus. 90% or more of it is worded in typical hater-speak.

https://disqus.com/by/danacamanara/comments/

Again: Haters will hate.

Last edited by StormRune; 01-07-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:21 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by StormRune
I was surprised by that post as well. It certainly did seem like a major overreaction. I've owned and enjoyed five Corvettes over the years so and the post he referenced didn't even register as general Vette-hate to me... just that one obnoxious jerk happened to be in a Vette.

Such a good idea to make your first post a flame and then denigrate the entire class of cars that the forum is made for! That helped his cause a lot.
^ this

Trolls gonna troll.

I've owned both Corvettes (a C5 and a C6) and 911s and each make has its strengths and weaknesses - and they all were a lot of fun to own and drive.

He was definitely overreacting. I read nothing in the original post that I saw as a slam on Corvettes.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:42 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Note to self: Go on Disqus and check the Privacy box.

Quick Reply: Got screamed at this morning