Tire Thumping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Thumping?

Hi All,

Been meaning to inquire with you about this. When I reverse out of a parking spot - or drive out in the forward direction - if my wheel is hard right (or left I think) It feels like my tires in the front are locked in the position they are in and the car is literally thumping over itself. You feel a shutter and hear it quite audibly. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks - and to all of you - Happy and a healthy new year to you and your families. May this year be only good things to us all.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Known character trait. Not a problem. Due to suspension geometry and wide tires.

Search on here for Acorns.

Rest easy.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Search Acorns. Toss on some winter tires.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Just making sure all is normal. First 911. Doesn't bother me (unless it would have been a problem!)

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Man... a few years ago I saw this hot *** Pirelli at a bar. Bought her a drink and we got to talking all through the night. One thing led to another and...

Oops. Misread the title of your post
Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Man... a few years ago I saw this hot *** Pirelli at a bar. Bought her a drink and we got to talking all through the night. One thing led to another and...

Oops. Misread the title of your post
Naughty naughty naughty! But fun! lol
Old 03-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

We sure this is normal 100%?

Had a friend in my car the other night when temps were in the 30s and the thumping noise as I pulled out of our office parking lot was akin to the tire and wheel literally bolting off the car. The entire car vibrated and the noise was loud enough for people walking across the street to turn and look.

I know it was stated to be normal above - but would this have been solved had I put winter tires on? I know low temps and summer tires are not suggested.

I have Rear Axle Steering on mine FWIW.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
We sure this is normal 100%?

Had a friend in my car the other night when temps were in the 30s and the thumping noise as I pulled out of our office parking lot was akin to the tire and wheel literally bolting off the car. The entire car vibrated and the noise was loud enough for people walking across the street to turn and look.

I know it was stated to be normal above - but would this have been solved had I put winter tires on? I know low temps and summer tires are not suggested.

I have Rear Axle Steering on mine FWIW.
I guess you have not researched ACORNS as suggested.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I guess you have not researched ACORNS as suggested.
I did, but just wanted to make sure this was absolutely normal.

(https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1051...o-excited.html)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes, winter tires would help this phenomenon.

Get a set of 19's. Wheel and tire set to swap out.

This is 100% normal and abnormal in cold temps, Porsche, and 20" wheels.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:51 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Toss on some winter tires.
+1
Old 03-18-2018, 12:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Start parallel parking.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I did, but just wanted to make sure this was absolutely normal.

(https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1051...o-excited.html)
Absolutely normal. In fact all cars do this to some extent. Its due to suspension geometry called caster angle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle
(Occasionally someone cites Ackermann https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry nope, sorry, wrong.)
Caster angle, when driving straight ahead, produces a force that makes the wheel want to go straight ahead. So, stability. It also means turning the wheel requires force. And the more you turn, and the more traction you have, the more force required. So, steering feedback. Good stuff.
Going backwards however, caster angle creates a scrubbing action. Just look at a diagram, its pretty evident. Again, all cars have caster angle. They all do this. How obvious it is depends on a lot of things like how hot or cold the tires are, width and profile, tread blocks, road surface, bunch of things. Nobody ever notices the family sedan does this, the overall cushyness soaks it all up. Hardly anyone even notices that their 911 does this all the time. Until it gets cold, or the road surface and angles are just right, then all of a sudden something that was always there pierces their consciousness and WTF was that?! Something, trust me, that always was and always will be there.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Absolutely normal. In fact all cars do this to some extent. Its due to suspension geometry called caster angle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle
(Occasionally someone cites Ackermann https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry nope, sorry, wrong.)
Caster angle, when driving straight ahead, produces a force that makes the wheel want to go straight ahead. So, stability. It also means turning the wheel requires force. And the more you turn, and the more traction you have, the more force required. So, steering feedback. Good stuff.
Going backwards however, caster angle creates a scrubbing action. Just look at a diagram, its pretty evident. Again, all cars have caster angle. They all do this. How obvious it is depends on a lot of things like how hot or cold the tires are, width and profile, tread blocks, road surface, bunch of things. Nobody ever notices the family sedan does this, the overall cushyness soaks it all up. Hardly anyone even notices that their 911 does this all the time. Until it gets cold, or the road surface and angles are just right, then all of a sudden something that was always there pierces their consciousness and WTF was that?! Something, trust me, that always was and always will be there.
Perfect explanation. Thank you.

Curious - why can't Porsche solve this?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Perfect explanation. Thank you.

Curious - why can't Porsche solve this?
Physics

Its also likely they feel owners will put winter tires on when driving in consistently cold temps.

Quick Reply: Tire Thumping?