Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017 | 10:57 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smmmurf
Here's another vote for replacing the tires before the tread is fully worn if they are aged or heat cycled. My 991.1S came with OEM Pirelli's which were original in the front but had a lot of tread left at 9K miles. Their date code was 2012, so the tires were approximately four years old. I was not too happy with the handling, so I replaced the front tires early. The handling, noise levels, and ride quality were all much improved.

I'm planning to get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S when they become available. I read that they will be available in in January in Europe and March in the United States. I've had many sets of PSS since 2011 and am eager to see the progress Michelin has made since then.
I can wait till March. I was driving through heavy rain on Monday and had plenty of grip with my P-Zeros to sustain 80-100mph speeds.
Old 01-05-2017 | 01:43 PM
GregD
Racer

Thread depth is just one of many criteria for tires. I've also got a few oldies in the garage, and seen the tires degrade based on wear, rot, time out on age, sometimes also the number or heat cycles or general feel... Sometimes they just start getting loud too... My 991 came with original tires that looked mint and had little mileage, they were rocks... When I replaced them (after a lurid slide where there should not have been any issues) it was raining, and I kid you not, the *new* non-scrubbed-in Michelins were already better on the greasy wet road than the original heat cycled rock hard tires in the dry (and cold)...

The way someone explained this to me long ago is that any able-bodied person can push the brake pedal hard enough to trigger ABS. The single most important criteria of braking distance (irrelevant of speed) is the quality of the rubber that meets the road. A top quality new tire only needs to stop you 1 ft shorter than a ****ty tire for you to have a nice day and avoid a $$$ accident. One single time and the tire paid for themselves. And that's just breaking. Let alone cornering, traction etc... If you are in any doubt, you buy tires. That's how I roll (ha), I'm cheap with everything else, but not tires or brakes...
Old 01-24-2017 | 08:54 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

So, just for an update. I ordered the MPSS and they were delivered, but decided to wait until the MP 4 as they are due shortly. They are showing up on tirerack. I don't drive too much during the winter anyway. Anyone order them yet?
Old 01-24-2017 | 11:14 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
So, just for an update. I ordered the MPSS and they were delivered, but decided to wait until the MP 4 as they are due shortly. They are showing up on tirerack. I don't drive too much during the winter anyway. Anyone order them yet?
I ordered them. This was my point on page 1 of this thread.
Old 01-25-2017 | 12:42 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Anyone running wider tires then factory on there wide body 991's ? Id like to bump up the tire widths on my targa4S and thinking about 265's upfront and 325 in the rear, Cup2'S. Curious to hear your guys thoughts that own wide body cars.

Quick Reply: Should I get new tires?