Sponsored by:

Brake dust issues solved 991.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Brake dust issues solved 991.2 C4S

Not sure if this has been posted. I couldn't handle the amount of brake dust coming off onto the wheels of my new 4S so I was determined to find a solution.

I run Hawk performance ceramic pads on all my vehicles and love them(especially for keeping wheels clean). As the 991.2's are so new, no one(including my dealer) could point me in the right direction on ceramic pads so I thought I'd shed some light on the issue after having success figuring out and installing both front and rear low dust pads. I have an S model with steel rotors so I can't confirm this will work on a standard Carrera.

The rear calipers on the 991.2 S model are the same as the 2015-2016 991.1S model. (Used PowerStop Z16 Evolution Clean Ride for rear)

The front calipers on the 991.2 S model are now larger and the same as the 2014-2015 Turbo model. (Used Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic on front).

I am very happy with the results. The dust is cut down by 75% and the brakes do not squeak as they did with the OEM stock pads.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
The rear calipers on the 991.2 S model are the same as the 2015-2016 991.1S model. (Used PowerStop Z16 Evolution Clean Ride for rear)

The front calipers on the 991.2 S model are now larger and the same as the 2014-2015 Turbo model. (Used Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic on front).
Curious as to why you used different pads on front and rear (I've just ordered Posi Quiets for both front and Rear)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Ceramics have always cut down dust. Do sacrifice some performance though.

Usually it's the ceramics that are prone squeaking, not OEM's.

Must admit, the excessive dust sucks. Wish I had PCCB's.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:28 PM
mac10
Racer

Originally Posted by RoWa
Curious as to why you used different pads on front and rear (I've just ordered Posi Quiets for both front and Rear)
Great question. I bought and installed the rear pads first while I researched the fronts and figured I would try two low dust brands for comparison purposes. Now that I am familiar with how to change the pads, I will hold on to the stock versions and use them for occasional track days.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You do realise you may have changed the brake bias by using different front and rear pads that may have different heating characteristics and different coefficients of friction (both at cold and during the warm up cycle) As a general rule of thumb, particularly on AWD cars, the same compound pads should be used front and rear.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Ceramics have always cut down dust. Do sacrifice some performance though.

Usually it's the ceramics that are prone squeaking, not OEM's.

Must admit, the excessive dust sucks. Wish I had PCCB's.
I am amazed at the lack of dust with PCCBs. I have never had mine squeak, though. The steel ones on my previous 991S squeaked occasionally.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

I am very happy with the results. The dust is cut down by 75% and the brakes do not squeak as they did with the OEM stock pads.
Down 75% on both front and rear? Of the two, which one is throwing less dust? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The rears will always dust less. I had Posi-Quiets on the front and stock pads on the rear for a couple of months, and the rear stock pads dusted around 30% more than the front Posi-Quiets. Now with Posi-quiets all around, I barely get any dust on the rear wheels, and I can go a couple of months (around 1000 miles for me) before seeing any significant dust on the fronts.

Last edited by mtony; 12-29-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
mac10
Racer

Originally Posted by randr
You do realise you may have changed the brake bias by using different front and rear pads that may have different heating characteristics and different coefficients of friction (both at cold and during the warm up cycle) As a general rule of thumb, particularly on AWD cars, the same compound pads should be used front and rear.
Yup, it's possible Randr but for normal daily driving applications I doubt it. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
The rears will always dust less. I had Posi-Quiets on the front and stock pads on the rear for a couple of months, and the rear stock pads dusted around 30% more than the front Posi-Quiets. Now with Posi-quiets all around, I barely get any dust on the rear wheels, and I can go a couple of months (around 1000 miles for me) before seeing any significant dust on the fronts.
Have you noticed a significant lack of brake performance?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are the 991.2 Carrera S Centric Posi-Quiet Iron disc brake pad part numbers:
F: 104.17410
R: 104.14170

I found the best price to be ~$100 shipped from: https://www.autopartskart.com

Also part numbers for 991.2 Carrera:
F: 104.19050
R: 104.14170

HTH!

Last edited by Jenner; 04-27-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Have you noticed a significant lack of brake performance?
You beat me to the punch with your question. Brakes are to some extent like tires in terms of compromises. To me the most important function of brakes is to stop the car as quickly as possible with minimal fade. Brake dust is far down my list, but I understand that everyone has their priorities.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Past experience for me with Centric Posi-Quiet (on other vehicles) has been a small trade off in initial "bite" in exchange for the lower dust.

Aside from that under normal street conditions they have plenty of stopping power. Stopping power comes from your tires not your brake pads. Brake pads stop rotors/wheels, tires stop the car. Easy way to test this, if you can trigger ABS you have more braking capacity than tire grip.

I did notice under repeated hard use the Centric pads will fade sooner than the stock pad which is really only an issue if you are doing heavy canyon/B road carving. But it is worth noting that my specific experience with fade on the Centric pads may have been caused by the particular vehicles I used them more than the pad itself. They were heavy Audi's that had no dedicated brake cooling where the 991.2 has dedicated ducts on all four corners.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:16 PM
mac10
Racer

Originally Posted by Jenner
Past experience for me with Centric Posi-Quiet (on other vehicles) has been a small trade off in initial "bite" in exchange for the lower dust.

Aside from that under normal street conditions they have plenty of stopping power. Stopping power comes from your tires not your brake pads. Brake pads stop rotors/wheels, tires stop the car. Easy way to test this, if you can trigger ABS you have more braking capacity than tire grip.

I did notice under repeated hard use the Centric pads will fade sooner than the stock pad which is really only an issue if you are doing heavy canyon/B road carving. But it is worth noting that my specific experience with fade on the Centric pads may have been caused by the particular vehicles I used them more than the pad itself. They were heavy Audi's that had no dedicated brake cooling where the 991.2 has dedicated ducts on all four corners.
Nice Job Jenner on the part numbers. Definitely helpful for people looking for cleaner wheels.

As far as a difference in stopping power or brake feel, I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference. Could there be on a track day? Possibly, but if there is a difference on the street I would say it's extremely small, well worth having cleaner wheels on a regular basis.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Could there be on a track day?
Do NOT use these pads for the track.

Quick Reply: Brake dust issues solved 991.2 C4S