Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake dust issues solved 991.2 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:45 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

As mentioned above, I really didn't notice a change in braking performance on the street, but that could be just the way and where I drive. BTW, I've been tracking other cars for over 15 years, and I would never take my car to the track with the stock pads either.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:15 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Which pads do you recommend for track days?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
BTW, I've been tracking other cars for over 15 years, and I would never take my car to the track with the stock pads either.
Ditto, been tracking since 1999. OEM pads (on Porsche's) can work for the novice run groups given the speeds they will see. Beyond that no way.

Originally Posted by boatracer
Which pads do you recommend for track days?
Dedicated track pads by PFC, Ferodo, Pagid.

Depends on the Porsche. For the GT3 RS I'd say PFC, for the GT4 I'd day Ferodo. Just based on my personal experience with said cars and pads.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Just to correct my comments before about the pad experience on Audis I just noticed that the pad for the 991.2 is the 104 model (semi-metallic) and the pad I was using on Audi's were 105 (ceramic).

The 105 ceramic pad has even less dust than the 104, but has less stopping power and less initial bite as seen here in these spider charts.

104:

105:

So the initial bite on these might not be as reduced as I was thinking/expecting.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Past experience for me with Centric Posi-Quiet (on other vehicles) has been a small trade off in initial "bite" in exchange for the lower dust.

Aside from that under normal street conditions they have plenty of stopping power. Stopping power comes from your tires not your brake pads. Brake pads stop rotors/wheels, tires stop the car. Easy way to test this, if you can trigger ABS you have more braking capacity than tire grip.
Of course tires are a critical component in stopping, but posting that brake pads do not affect stopping distances is not accurate. Brake pads are to some extent like tires, insofar as there are pros and cons to different materials. Since I don't want to inadvertently upset any site sponsors, I won't refer to specific pads and keep it generic.

There is no single brake pad that is superior in every situation. If you want clean, quiet stops, you’ll pay for it in braking performance. If you want massive amounts of brake bite under extreme temperatures, you’ll be cleaning your wheels every few days.

Ceramic pads offer quieter stops, cleaner wheels, and generally longer pad life due to their harder composition. The downsides include less cold bite, making them less effective in cold weather or before the brakes are up to temperature. The ceramic material is also a less-effective heat sink than their metallic equivalents; instead they act almost like an insulator. The less heat the pad is able to absorb, the more the heat is retained in the brake rotor and surrounding components, which can lead to increased temperatures of the entire brake system.

Semi-metallic pads, on the other hand, while they do produce more noise and dust, are arguably the more versatile of the two. They are more effective over a wider range of temperatures and have a much higher thermal threshold. They provide better cold bite than ceramic pads and maintain much more consistent friction characteristics throughout their operating range. If you plan on tracking your car, semi-metallic pads are the clear choice. For casual driving, ceramic or organic pads offer ample stopping power with the added benefits of quietness, cleaner wheels, and longer lifespan.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

The Centric pads I posted part numbers for the 991.2 Carrera S (and base) are the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads.

They are not a clear choice for a track car. No way. These are street pads only.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I've used Hawk Ceramics to try to cut down dust once and anyone who says they don't affect performance is kidding themselves. You absolutely get reduced braking performance, especially when they're cold - then they're awful.

PCCB or use Armor All Outlast. Either pretty much eliminates brake dust.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I must say I'm fairly impressed after applying Armor All Outlast. Any ideas how long it lasts or how often to reapply?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

For me it's Centric Posi-Quiet on the street and Pagid Yellow race pads for the track.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:05 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience, Centric Posi-Quiets are much better than any other dustless pad I've used, and I've tried many including Hawk Ceramic, Hawk HPS, Axxis Deluxe, and Akebonos. For track pads I prefer Performance Friction pads, but they don't make the correct fitment for the C2S.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Here are the 991.2 Carrera S Centric Posi-Quiet Iron disc brake pad part numbers:
F: 104.17410
R: 104.14170

I found the best price to be ~$100 shipped from: https://www.autopartskart.com

Also part numbers for 991.2 Carrera:
F: 104.19050
R: 104.16550

HTH!
Note that 991.1 part numbers are different.

For my 4S:
Front: 104.16640
Rear: 104.14170

https://centricparts.centriccatalog.com/Inquiry/AppResult.aspxid=WEB_PADS&v=LD&y=2014&m=2&mm=10&uid=ANR&sid=0
Old 01-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Thread title/topic is 991.2 and I noted in my post that the specific part numbers were for the 991.2

The .2 models have front brake rotors/calipers/pads from the 991.1 Turbo IIRC.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by StormRune; 01-17-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Edit: Already claimed!

Now that I've sold my 991.2 Carrera S, I no longer need the Centric Posi-Quiet low-dust brake pads and new Centric wear sensors I bought back in January and never got around to installing. Here's the links to the pages on CarId so you can verify the fitment:

https://www.carid.com/centric/posi-q...104-17410.html (1 set)
https://www.carid.com/centric/posi-q...104-14170.html (1 set)
https://www.carid.com/centric/front-...116-37043.html (2 individual pieces)
https://www.carid.com/centric/rear-b...116-37047.html (2 individual pieces)

They originally cost me $203.34 with tax and shipping.

Since I'm going Porsche-less for a while... as a favor to someone in the community I've spent so much time with here, I'll give them away to the first person in the 48 states responding here that they want them for their own personal car. I'll even cover slow-boat shipping for the roughly 15 pound box. NOTE: These pads are not suitable for track use!

I don't think I can receive PM's any more (my paid account just coincidentally expired here), I'm posting my email (deleting it later) to receive the details of where to send them. First person to send a message to XXXX can have them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's what I'm driving to tide me over: An all-electric Jaguar i-Pace HSE in Borasco Gray (kind of like Chalk or Fashion Gray in Porsche-speak)
Now that our offices moved downtown and I'm commuting in traffic now, this seems like a nicer way to go for the time being. And nice it is!

Last edited by StormRune; 03-22-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed email address
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've used Hawk Ceramics to try to cut down dust once and anyone who says they don't affect performance is kidding themselves. You absolutely get reduced braking performance, especially when they're cold - then they're awful.

PCCB or use Armor All Outlast. Either pretty much eliminates brake dust.
Fully agree with you.. I had the Hawks cerramics and took them off because I didn't like the performance during initial bite when cold. This is important to me for a daily driver on the street where you don't have the luxury as on the track to heat it up. I don't know where the other poster is coming from when he claims that brake pads don't affect performancet because its the tires that stop the car .....hmmmm.

Quick Reply: Brake dust issues solved 991.2 C4S