Sponsored by:

PDLS vs No PDLS housing color

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 125 Posts
Default PDLS vs No PDLS housing color

Trying to figure out if anyone has first hand experience on this. I'm configuring a base in white and want to go for the contrast black everything.
It looks like the headlight housing is black when you select PDLS versus grey when you don't select this option, anyone has seen both in person?

See pictures below:

No PDLS

WITH PDLS
Old 12-13-2016, 09:39 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Actually, I think the question is actually what people think of PDLS in Black vs. PDLS, isn't it? Just checking PDLS box isn't what gets you the "in black" option. Plenty of members with experience with "in black" option, and some of us have swapped-out non-black for black option. I don't know, maybe I'm not keeping up with the configurator? In all lighting configurations I believe you can opt for "in black" or not, even with the LED lighting option....
Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

the only way it is black in real life is if you choose PDLS in black

However it is important to note that choosing PDLS only option does change the headlight housing and turns it a darker shade of silver/grey compared to non-PDLS lights.

Some guys who were debating whether or not to get actual black PDLS headlights, ended up choosing regular PDLS instead as the dark grey housing that comes with PDLS is a halfway point between really light headlight housing if you don't get any PDLS, and the full black of the PDLS in black.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-14-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I questioned the same thing when building my CWM Targa 4S. As you can see from my avatar I decided against the black lights.

I hate the look of the washer nipples, the added weight of the extra pumps and fluid and most of all the mess all over the front of the car when it decides to spray (blue washer fluid residue all over a white car ugh...you need to replace with clear fluid and even then it still makes a mess) more than I liked the black housing of the lights.

The silver lights also tied in nicely with the machined silver spokes of the Turbo wheels and I was going to do black badges (added cost) to go with the black lights (added cost) and paint the nipples white (added cost) so in the end it seemed like I was going so far out of the way to make everything tie together and then the Targa badge on the Targa bar would still be silver so I'd have to replace that aftermarket (added cost).

So much cost and hassle to make it all blacked out and in the end all the brightwork on the side and rear badges, the Targa bar, the lights, the wheels and the exhaust tips came together nicely (IMHO)

The black does tie in very nicely with the front grills though. You may want the black headlights to go with your black wheels too.
Get the body color nipples options, and the black badges option as well and then get the carbon fiber fapspeed exhaust tips (if you get sport exhaust) or their black chrome tips (if you get standard quad exhaust) and it will look awesome.

Here are some real life pics I collected when trying to decide. Maybe they will help you:

Old 12-14-2016, 07:57 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum
Actually, I think the question is actually what people think of PDLS in Black vs. PDLS, isn't it? Just checking PDLS box isn't what gets you the "in black" option. Plenty of members with experience with "in black" option, and some of us have swapped-out non-black for black option. I don't know, maybe I'm not keeping up with the configurator? In all lighting configurations I believe you can opt for "in black" or not, even with the LED lighting option....
I think this applies to the 991.1 regarding having the option to spec the PDLS in black. As it stands for the .2, only the LED headlights offer the choice of regular or black. That's what prompted my question as I was wondering if PDLS was now only offered in black on the refreshed car.

Originally Posted by Drifting
the only way it is black in real life is if you choose PDLS in black

However it is important to note that choosing PDLS only option does change the headlight housing and turns it a darker shade of silver/grey compared to non-PDLS lights.

Some guys who were debating whether or not to get actual black PDLS headlights, ended up choosing regular PDLS instead as the dark grey housing that comes with PDLS is a halfway point between really light headlight housing if you don't get any PDLS, and the full black of the PDLS in black.
Same comment as above, I'm wondering if the PDLS on the .2 is now only offered in black (hence why that option/distinction isn't available on the configurator anymore) versus the darker grey color you mention.

Originally Posted by Jenner
I questioned the same thing when building my CWM Targa 4S. As you can see from my avatar I decided against the black lights.

I hate the look of the washer nipples, the added weight of the extra pumps and fluid and most of all the mess all over the front of the car when it decides to spray (blue washer fluid residue all over a white car ugh...you need to replace with clear fluid and even then it still makes a mess) more than I liked the black housing of the lights.

The silver lights also tied in nicely with the machined silver spokes of the Turbo wheels and I was going to do black badges (added cost) to go with the black lights (added cost) and paint the nipples white (added cost) so in the end it seemed like I was going so far out of the way to make everything tie together and then the Targa badge on the Targa bar would still be silver so I'd have to replace that aftermarket (added cost).

So much cost and hassle to make it all blacked out and in the end all the brightwork on the side and rear badges, the Targa bar, the lights, the wheels and the exhaust tips came together nicely (IMHO)

The black does tie in very nicely with the front grills though. You may want the black headlights to go with your black wheels too.
Get the body color nipples options, and the black badges option as well and then get the carbon fiber fapspeed exhaust tips (if you get sport exhaust) or their black chrome tips (if you get standard quad exhaust) and it will look awesome.

Here are some real life pics I collected when trying to decide. Maybe they will help you:
I'm with you 100% on the look of the nipples and the mess the washers create. I'll jut bite the bullet though as I want a uniform look with black wheels, badges, headlights etc....planning on black sport exhaust tips when they become available (assuming the GTS will have them). Your pictures really help and to me the PDLS looks really black on the second picture which is awesome (not the darker grey shade that came with the .1 PDLS option when you didn't spec them in black).

Thanks all for the help!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to order PDLS+ in black to get the black surround (at least thats the case in Australia).
Old 12-15-2016, 05:39 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paxton

Same comment as above, I'm wondering if the PDLS on the .2 is now only offered in black (hence why that option/distinction isn't available on the configurator anymore) versus the darker grey color you mention.

Thanks all for the help!
You misunderstand. If you don't order PDLS, the headlight housing is a very light silver, if you order just PDLS, then the headlight housing is a dark grey/silver and that just happens automatically, there has never been an option called "PDLS in dark grey/silver"

The only time color is ever mentioned in the option name is if you choose "PDLS in Black".
Old 12-15-2016, 09:23 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

You misunderstand. If you don't order PDLS, the headlight housing is a very light silver, if you order just PDLS, then the headlight housing is a dark grey/silver and that just happens automatically, there has never been an option called "PDLS in dark grey/silver"

The only time color is ever mentioned in the option name is if you choose "PDLS in Black".
Let me clarify what I was saying. You can't order PDLS in black on the .2, not an option on the configurator. My understanding is the housing defaults to black when your order this option, no more in between darker grey vs the lighter version without PDLS.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:29 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paxton
Let me clarify what I was saying. You can't order PDLS in black on the .2, not an option on the configurator. My understanding is the housing defaults to black when your order this option, no more in between darker grey vs the lighter version without PDLS.
Hmm, I now see what you mean.

With the .1 generation you could get the regular headlights + PDLS in black, or the LEDs + PDLS in black, but now the only way you get black headlights is if you order the LED headlights with PDLS in black, which is a not cheap option for $3500.

Still I don't think you get black housing unless you order LED headlights with PDLS. Porsche is making it hard and expensive to get truly black headlights, they are not going to give that to you cheaply for the just picking the cheaper $770 PDLS only option.

I still think that just PDLS gets you a dark grey housing, not black. Don't trust the picture in the configurator, I would speak with your local Porsche agent.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The exact specification the OP needs for "black" is as follows (from The new 911 Options price list).

"Full LED headlights in black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) XEY"
Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I still think that just PDLS gets you a dark grey housing, not black. Don't trust the picture in the configurator, I would speak with your local Porsche agent.
Why don't you trust the real life PDLS picture of a 991.2 that I posted above?

Here it is again...black headlights:
Old 12-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I must admit those look rather dark.

However, its hard to be certain from a photograph unless you lined a simple PDLS car next to a black one or better still a LED PDLS car next to a LED PDLS in black
Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

I must admit those look rather dark.
They do look dark in that photo. The link below shows mine (black pdls+) from the side, and you can see they don't look that dark. But even in real life, how dark they look depends on the angle, the exterior lighting, etc. Go see them live if you can.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9645...d-modesta.html
Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jenner
Why don't you trust the real life PDLS picture of a 991.2 that I posted above?

Here it is again...black headlights:
+1 - Looks pretty good to me....
Old 12-17-2016, 03:10 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for black.

Quick Reply: PDLS vs No PDLS housing color