991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 M/T parking brake questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016 | 03:38 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

If the parking brake hasn't become second nature yet, you need to drive it more. Problem solved.
Old 12-12-2016 | 12:23 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
on PDK, and TIP vehicles (cayenne) if you open the door with the engine on, the parking brake immediately comes on.. (very annoying if you have a PDK vehicle but i understand the point..)

on the M/t i have noticed you can drive off and auto release the brake, but how come opening the door does not automatically engage the parking brake?

I miss having a "hand brake" but feel that this little tidbit could mean several if not many valet people would forget the parking brake

also when turning the engine off, how come the vehicle does not automatically activate the parking brake (as with ferrari/lamborghini)

curious if anyone has tips, besides leaving the car in gear to ensure it's not going anywhere,... maybe theirs a seatbelt+door combo that activates the parking brake automatically?

-riley
I agree, the parking brake should come on automatically when you turn the engine off, I have to constantly remind myself to push the button, not as intuitive as a real hand brake.
Old 12-12-2016 | 01:56 PM
Fred2
Racer

Originally Posted by KenTO
I agree, the parking brake should come on automatically when you turn the engine off, I have to constantly remind myself to push the button, not as intuitive as a real hand brake.
No

This would screw the guys that do an occasional track day

Putting the parking brake on, on really hot discs is a bad idea.
Old 12-12-2016 | 02:27 PM
GregD
Racer

I've had the car for a few months and as I write/rant here I still don't recall if it should be pushed or pulled to set or unset ;-) Location is a stretch too... Had other cars, Rover, Audi, it was located centrally (better) and its action mimicked an analog device... You pull up on the switch to set it like you would the cable one, push to release... But hey we're talking Porsche here, the company that reversed the paddle action on their cars for years before seeing the light ;-)

I don;t begrudge the electrical nature of it, it's less useful as a donut device on a RWD car anyway. On a GTI or a mini though, it's criminal... FWD cars need a cable brake if only to have fun in the snow !

It's true that I've learned to ignore it now, thanks to the seatbelt trick. Still gets me when I'm just moving the car in the driveway and don't use the seatbelt... push or pull?? dammit !! ;-)
Old 12-12-2016 | 02:27 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred2
No

Track days are exceptions, not the rule, have a track mode where this does not happen
Old 12-12-2016 | 02:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Track days are exceptions, not the rule, have a track mode where this does not happen
See my previous post.

Keep the same switch for manual operation. Put an auto button in the center console. You can leave it on auto most of the time, disable it when you don't want it on.

It's literally one button in an existing button bank that always has open spaces, and probably 5 lines of code. Seriously.
Old 12-13-2016 | 02:58 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
If the parking brake hasn't become second nature yet, you need to drive it more. Problem solved.
Unless like me you also drive a Macan. Maddening! The 991s brake should be on the console not a foot brake-like an old GM car

The convention seems to be if it's on the center console you pull to engage like a handbrake; if it's on the lower left you push to engage like a foot brake

Personally I don't want any more auto "thinking for me" features, though the auto re-start when you stall in gear is kinda cool
Old 12-13-2016 | 09:18 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Best implementation, IMO, is in my Lexus. Completely automatic. Put the car in park....brake engages. Put the car in drive....brake disengages. Simple.
Originally Posted by pvr
But that would only work with automatic cars though whilst for manuals it would need to be different.
Originally Posted by Fred2

The answer to all of the above is Lexus doesn't make cars with manual transmissions nor do they make track cars (Sorry the LFA doesn't count it). Might as well be comparing a 911 to a Prius.

I too have Audi's and Porsche's and the location and operation difference drives me crazy from two German cars under the same owner. There should a standard for electronic ebrake operation and location because it's just a button it doesn't matter where it is is can be in the same location and function the same way in every car, much like high beams or blinkers (in 99% of cars anyways)
Old 12-13-2016 | 11:21 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The brake release switch on our Audi is right next to the gear selector lever. It's nice because I can release the brake with my thumb as I put the car in gear. I would like to see something similar in the Porsche. To make things worse, it functions opposite of the Porsche switch (push to release, pull to set).
Nice SQ! I just got one too and love it. Waiting for 911.......................
Old 12-13-2016 | 11:31 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jenner
The answer to all of the above is Lexus doesn't make cars with manual transmissions nor do they make track cars (Sorry the LFA doesn't count it). Might as well be comparing a 911 to a Prius.

I too have Audi's and Porsche's and the location and operation difference drives me crazy from two German cars under the same owner. There should a standard for electronic ebrake operation and location because it's just a button it doesn't matter where it is is can be in the same location and function the same way in every car, much like high beams or blinkers (in 99% of cars anyways)
See my solution above. Doesn't matter if it's on a Lexus with A/T only, it could work very easily on an M/T car.

I always shut my car off with the car in gear and my foot on the clutch. It would be great to have that action set the brake, with a disable switch for special circumstances. I mean, it already turns off automatically..,
Old 12-13-2016 | 03:59 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris C.

Personally I don't want any more auto "thinking for me" features, though the auto re-start when you stall in gear is kinda cool
That is indeed a cool feature. I've had my car for several months, and this weekend I wasn't paying attention and stalled by accident. I was pleasantly surprised when I pushed the clutch in!
Old 12-13-2016 | 04:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911boy
Nice SQ! I just got one too and love it. Waiting for 911.......................
Thanks!

We love our SQ5. I ordered it in late 2014 to replace our Cayenne. We took delivery in April of 2015. It has been great so far, with just under 50K miles on the clock.

I would have considered a Macan, but they weren't quite ready yet and my wife didn't want another Cayenne.
Old 12-13-2016 | 07:10 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by rijowysock
on PDK, and TIP vehicles (cayenne) if you open the door with the engine on, the parking brake immediately comes on.. (very annoying if you have a PDK vehicle but i understand the point..)

on the M/t i have noticed you can drive off and auto release the brake, but how come opening the door does not automatically engage the parking brake?

I miss having a "hand brake" but feel that this little tidbit could mean several if not many valet people would forget the parking brake

also when turning the engine off, how come the vehicle does not automatically activate the parking brake (as with ferrari/lamborghini)

curious if anyone has tips, besides leaving the car in gear to ensure it's not going anywhere,... maybe theirs a seatbelt+door combo that activates the parking brake automatically?

-riley
Tip? Don't valet. Ever.
Old 12-13-2016 | 07:39 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Yes, if you have a 991 and a Macan, the parking brake on-off direction of the switch can drive you mad. It's pull on for the Macan but push in for the 991. I frequently switch between cars and getting it wrong about half the time!
Old 12-13-2016 | 08:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by roadrat
Tip? Don't valet. Ever.
dont have a choice downtown in certain instances

i have truck plates on the 991 (for loading zones) which helps. but certain hours you have to valet... that being said i valet much nicer cars with them. i trust these valet guys... just it's confusing because the ferrari and lambo automatically engage parking brake.

Quick Reply: 991 M/T parking brake questions...