Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche ownership, Cash or Finance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pay cash if you have it. If not, the rates for a 3y loan for a used car is around 2%- cheap.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:32 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Have always paid cash. It's a personal discipline thing......
c) .....Not getting a Porsche till I was older was -- what can I say? -- just plain old fashioned good for me. I sure as hell didn't like it at the time. But I was having so much fun in my other cheap-*** sportscars that I really didn't mind the discipline
some folks call it "paying your dues" versus instant gratification.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 11-17-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:55 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

A financial advisor once told me to "lease a depreciating asset and buy an appreciating asset." Makes sense to me. I used some of the car lease threads here on RL to figure out the best plan of attack for a lease. I lease because I am self-employed and it is a business expense. From a business expense standpoint, you can write off far less if you buy the car. Even if it is not a business expense, I would suggest investing the money rather than giving Porsche $100+ thousand of your hard-earned dollars right off the bat. I am leasing my GTS with the expectation that I am going to buy it at the end of the three year lease. The lease gave me time to "kick the tires" to make sure that I want the car for the long-term (which I do) and the lease allows me to maximize my tax write-off.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:09 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Point one: You don't get the best deals buying cash. The dealer makes money on the interest you pay when you finance, and a ton of money on a lease. He's looking, first, for customers who have a reliable income stream he can tap into. Cash customers looking for a deal are in second place.

If you're intent on making a dream come true, then order a new car to your specs.
If you're satisfied with achieving a quasi dream, then buy used car or a new car off the lot.
If saving money trumps the dream part, then you should chose the latter because a lot car is going to be cheaper than an ordered car.

In either case, you're likely to cut a better deal by financing your car. As I mentioned, a dealer is more willing to do 10% off on a financed car since he gets a cut of the interest you pay. If you can go either cash or finance, then finance, get the better discount, then pay off the loan after, say, 2 months.
Good luck with your dream.

PS: If you've got a trade, sell it yourself or forget about any meaningful discount.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

911's come in so many flavors, I wouldn't jump into a new one even though you've waited your whole life to get one. More cash buyers are going to respond than those who financed their 911's.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320str8liner
Curious to hear the thoughts of Porsche owners.
I've had a life long dream of owning a 911 and each day the dream gets closer to reality.

My question:
1. Save more and purchase with cash
2. Put down large down payment and finance the rest (fully optioned car?) I do plan to keep it for a long time unless something unfortunate was to happen.
I've paid cash, financed, & leased. I liked paying cash, but I need to keep a certain amount in reserve for my business, so I usually finance, and pay off the loan when I have more reserve than my anticipated business needs. Probably won't lease again. For me it just feels like I'm driving someone else's car. So yeah it a personal choice.
Good luck and make sure to enjoy the search. You only buy the first one once.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I borrow money for my Porsches from the Bank Of LexVan. I get a good rate. I know a guy.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:54 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a CPO with my S4 + cash.

I went through Audi for a loan on the S4 because of the incentives; paid it off in six months and made a couple hundred bucks on the deal.

I know my C2S is not an "investment", but found a "hot" deal
Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I buy CPO, finance with minimal money down, but try to make it so I won't be underwater 2-3 years in when I'm ready to trade. At close to 2% on used cars, I'd rather not tie up the cash and it helps build your credit rating.
Leasing is ridiculous in this state, we have to pay tax on the entire purchase price and then again if you buy it off lease. Only worth doing if you can write it off.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Financed 10K. Raped on interest - still working on credit from a divorce. Paid off in 6 months. If not for being intentional about doing stuff for my credit - would have paid cash. Used [CPO] buyer here.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:44 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Do whatever you want. I have always paid cash for almost everything, but this was my first big car purchase and whether I would end up being a 911 enthusiast or just go "meh" after the shine wore off was an open question. So I leased for three years. Not the cheapest route, but worked for my situation. Calculated that the the extra I would pay for the lease if I paid cash for residual at lease end was OK with me. I am paying for the choice to just walk away at lease end if I want to. After 6 months I can't envision not having a 911, but ask me again after the three years is up. Of course I could fall into Porsche's trap and just lease a newer car after three years. Never say never. Bottom line is whatever I chose to do is not going to have any effect on my financial well being in any way and that is really what is most important. I just turned 60. Zero debt, and healthy retirement future. Been playing on motorcycles for years. Time to splurge a little with a car!
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I mostly lease, and once in awhile I buy at car at lease end. Total your payments, add in the residual at the end of the lease, and see if that total works for you. It's worth consideration. I think they can also do a lease on a CPO.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:31 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We only buy sports cars for an investment,.....an investment in Fun. These days it is all cash. We try and get the best deal we can, and then just write the darn cheque. Don't loose any sleep over a few % points. But years back it was a mix of loan/lease. In our 'early' life we had just two cars, one was always a sports car, but all were used or entry level. We lived frugally until our late 40's early 50's. That helped us a lot as we are now both retired and in our early/mid 60's, and able to live the 'good life'.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably going to be the black sheep here so I'll put on the flame suite..

Seems most if not all will tell you to pay cash. I think as a whole we've been trained to save, save, pay cash or you can't afford it. I for one have never had an "extra" 100k laying around that I can put on a car. My wife and I have no kids but make good money, we travel as much as possible, drive nice cars and never had any problem making a payment.

I've financed a Ferrari and now a Porsche along with many other cars. It would take us 10yrs. to save up enough to pay cash, I would much rather live my life now the best I can everyday then wait and look back thinking "Man I wish I would have done this years ago" you never know what day will be your last.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin-Guy
I'm probably going to be the black sheep here so I'll put on the flame suite..

Seems most if not all will tell you to pay cash. I think as a whole we've been trained to save, save, pay cash or you can't afford it. I for one have never had an "extra" 100k laying around that I can put on a car. My wife and I have no kids but make good money, we travel as much as possible, drive nice cars and never had any problem making a payment.

I've financed a Ferrari and now a Porsche along with many other cars. It would take us 10yrs. to save up enough to pay cash, I would much rather live my life now the best I can everyday then wait and look back thinking "Man I wish I would have done this years ago" you never know what day will be your last.
No flame suit needed. There are many paths to happiness!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche ownership, Cash or Finance?