Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche ownership, Cash or Finance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:42 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

We financed our vehicles 100%. My credit union gave us 1.7% for a five year loan. At that rate I'd pay off the mortgage before the cars. We have a low net worth and a good income / healthy cash flow with high stability. That all biases towards financing.

For those that finance, it's a very sensible risk reduction measure to put down enough cash to always maintain a net equity position. That's not what we did this time around.

I think the answer to this question would at least consider personal psychology, occupational compensation model and stability, career stage, net worth / cash flow / other personal finance metrics, and to a lesser degree perhaps generational differences.

Since it's the least obvious what I mean, I'll explain that last one. Speaking very broadly and in relative terms, boomer and earlier generations faced with extra income are more likely to save it to create a bigger safety net, and millennials are more likely to spend part and save part to maximize lifestyle over the long run. Both decisions are reasonable ways to look at life. We typically pick the latter.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:45 AM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the US POSTAL service pay cash for my new 2016 C2S. I have, like many others here had the Porsche as a dream car for years and years. But being a military guy for almost 30 years the pay never made that possible. I had the misfortune or was fortunate to have been hit by a mail ( jeep ) truck while riding a big Suzuki scooter. The driver was in a hurry and ran a stop sign. Didnt see me and rammed me at my 5 olclock postion. Totalled the bike and did almost totalled me. Three weeks in the human hobby shop and almost a year to walk right again.
With much delay qnd negotiations the government settled after almost 3 years and my search began. Found a perfectly spec'd 911S except it had the PDK, learning to love it now. Got to write a check and it felt great. A real dream come true through a nightmare but I smile everytime I see a mail truck.

I have through the years bought 62 other brand new cars BUT
" There is no substitute".
Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Never finance a depreciating asset.
This is my line of thought as well. I pay cash.

Only you know your own sitution.

Not to open a can of worms, but you can lease if you and your accountant decide you have a tax advantage through a business. If not, lease rates can be expensive.

my father once tolds me if it floats, flies or does something else with an f youre supposed to rent it. Seems i violated all three of those already...
Old 11-18-2016, 01:26 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8ful1
A real dream come true through a nightmare but I smile everytime I see a mail truck.
" There is no substitute".
Well, I think you might win the hardest way to get a Porsche award.

Glad you are OK!

Last edited by sctanton52; 11-18-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-18-2016, 01:56 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 57 Posts

If I don't have the cash on hand, the toys have to wait.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The low cost of money, even for used car loans, makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

You're going to get a million different opinions on this. In the end it's what your comfortable with and what you can afford. One way to look at it is: pay off your necessities in life like your house, education and daily drivers. The Porsche is a depreciating none essential toy, so finance it unless you've got the cash to pay it off (after settling the rest of your life).
Old 11-18-2016, 07:41 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Point one: You don't get the best deals buying cash. The dealer makes money on the interest you pay when you finance, and a ton of money on a lease. He's looking, first, for customers who have a reliable income stream he can tap into. Cash customers looking for a deal are in second place.

If you're intent on making a dream come true, then order a new car to your specs.
If you're satisfied with achieving a quasi dream, then buy used car or a new car off the lot.
If saving money trumps the dream part, then you should chose the latter because a lot car is going to be cheaper than an ordered car.

In either case, you're likely to cut a better deal by financing your car. As I mentioned, a dealer is more willing to do 10% off on a financed car since he gets a cut of the interest you pay. If you can go either cash or finance, then finance, get the better discount, then pay off the loan after, say, 2 months.
Good luck with your dream.

PS: If you've got a trade, sell it yourself or forget about any meaningful discount.
Lots of wisdom in this post.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
BNever finance a depreciating asset.
Because it won't depreciate if you pay for it instead.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:06 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Because it won't depreciate if you pay for it instead.
Exactly. Ultimately you will pay more if you finance (although not much at current rates). As long as the rest of your finances and commitments are in order, do what you want. As many have said, it comes down to personal philosophy. It's your money.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:12 PM
cwilli01
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will play the spread so if I can make a few points on a safe investment I will do so. Seems like this will become more difficult in the near future...
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yo G. Go to the dealer wit green. Better if y'all bring c notes. Under the table yo. 20 g up front. IRS will never know. Finance is yo bitch. 7fity credit is king. Drive away wit it.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:31 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

No Car is an investment. Even if I have a 918, Carrera GT or 911R - I will drive the hell out of them.

Finance or buy - is a complex question. If you trade the markets and can make 20%+ or beat the main indexes by a factor of 2 or 3 or higher - then Finance the car. Do not lock your assets in a car if you can invest in market or other ventures and generate return. Key to generate positive return in the end.

And you have to factor Finance interest paid vs with your investment gain and taxes. If you come out ahead in that equation then the answer is Finance.

If not buy it in cash, drive the heck out of the cars and enjoy life. No need for major complex headaches.

Now, if you are going to drive less than say 12K or 10K miles a year, just lease it

I can even sum it in this way (alternative to above) - Sleep Equation

Can you sleep comfortably at night if you buy the car in cash?

Or Can you sleep comfortably at night if you finance the car?

Don't do anything which ruins your sleep.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by sctanton52
Well, I think you might win the hardest way to get a Porsche award.

Glad you are OK!
Yes glad you're okay and also that you got to get your dream car but that is a helleva way to go about it! Enjoy it and your life to the fullest.

As for me...have used a combo of leases and purchases depending on the circumstances. Being an AD military guy also circumstances have not made paying off a mortgage easy or the better option (tried it twice and other than planning from the outset to be an absentee landlord; didn't get much out of buying a house to live in for only 2--4 yrs before the military moved me someplace else). So about 6 Porsche's later I currently financed my current 991 and lease any other 2nd car just in case I am deployed or moved overseas (SCCRA laws allow me to turn the lease end without penalty). Will plan on paying off a mortgage as others have said once I retire and can actually stay in the house. Meanwhile college is funded for the kids (GI-911 bill - thank you) and I've got six figures in my TSP plan and will get my retirement paid out at retirement in addition to that. Have five figures in the brokerage account and still another 10-20 years working once I retire at my choice (FT or PT or contract work) so yeah I am a strong believer that the lease, buy w/cash, and finance choice just depends on ones circumstance and stage in life as well as personality and plans.

But at least we call agree...they are great cars and well worth it!
Old 11-20-2016, 11:39 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I always buy toys with cash.

Quick Reply: Porsche ownership, Cash or Finance?