Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Order on Recent 991.2's

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Stop Sale Order on Recent 991.2's

My 991.2 Turbo was just released from the port (San Diego) and is now at my dealer after being at the port for 2.5 weeks, apparently waiting for a part. I am aware of two additional vehicles that were in the same situation and were just released after some repair was performed.

I asked my SA, the Porsche Customer Commitment people, and even called a Porsche USA Corporate Executive VP to better understand the nature of the delay and repair. No one knows anything, but admits that the delay is odd.

Last week my SA was told that they were waiting for a part. When he inquired with the Porsche Port people today, he was told that there was a "Stop Sale Order" on some vehicles, but all is OK now.

Is anyone familiar with this recent Stop Sale Order affecting 991.2's built in late September? Would be good to know the nature, but planning on accepting delivery tomorrow afternoon -- if all checks out. My SA said they will do a comprehensive PDI plus detail.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Wow, that could affect my order as well then. I'll let you know, likewise, I'll be interested to see what you find.

The only thing I could find on the internet was related to the VW diesel engines.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

It is emissions related.

(And, no, this is not a bad VW joke.)
Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm going on three days at release to transport status, 5 days at port for my TTS and while thats perfectly normal i'm definitely getting nervous after reading your post. I forsee my less than responsive SA is getting a barrage of calls from me tomorrow morning

Last edited by parabola19; 11-10-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:00 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 122 Posts

Philg3, you mention yours is a Turbo, as is parabola's. Just clarifying that you mean "T"urbo, not turbo.

And if so, does this only apply to Turbos and not Carreras?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:45 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Philg3, you mention yours is a Turbo, as is parabola's. Just clarifying that you mean "T"urbo, not turbo.

And if so, does this only apply to Turbos and not Carreras?
Mine is a Turbo -- the non "S" version -- 3.8L engine, 540hp.

Delays don't appear to be solely for the Turbo(s), as the other two vehicles that I am aware of are a C4s, and a Targa. These two vehicles and mine arrived on the same ship, at the same port -- were all release the same day, after a 2.5 week delay -- at Port.

Porsche has not disclosed the cause of the delay to me or my dealer, despite many inquires through different channels. My dealer is still trying to get an explanation.

Anyway, I'm taking delivery today, assuming all checks out, and if it's just a part swap for an emission problem -- no big deal. But the secrecy behind this delay does get one's imagination going, and with each passing day, possible scenarios get worse. Not a good way to handle the situation, as it appears Porsche is hiding something, and when a Company hides pertinent data, it's just not good.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be specific to CA (emissions?) vehicles only?

You mention a C4S and a Targa (in CA I assume), yet my Targa 4S is in a similar delivery window (arrived @ port 11/4) as yours and the other 2 that you mention yet I have no changes to my scheduled delivery date.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philg3
Not a good way to handle the situation, as it appears Porsche is hiding something, and when a Company hides pertinent data, it's just not good.
That's exactly right. I'll post something here if I experience the same delay at port.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Emissions related... The Porsche execute knows this... Working out a couple of links in the new turbo engines. Nothing to do with reliability, performance, etc. All to do with the green aspect and ever changing red tape.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Emissions related... The Porsche execute knows this... Working out a couple of links in the new turbo engines. Nothing to do with reliability, performance, etc. All to do with the green aspect and ever changing red tape.
Do you have any other details? All turbos - big T and little t? Just for California or everywhere? Basically, does this impact every 911 coming in, or a select subset? Does it affect cars manufactured between certain dates? And, is the fix paperwork-related or something physical/mechanical? My car gets to port on monday. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:29 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
Do you have any other details? All turbos - big T and little t? Just for California or everywhere? Basically, does this impact every 911 coming in, or a select subset? Does it affect cars manufactured between certain dates? And, is the fix paperwork-related or something physical/mechanical? My car gets to port on monday. Thanks.
It's all [VAG]turbos. It's not VW related but it is... the company is being overly scrutinized. Should be no difference to performance in anyway from what I know/heard/rumor. Just some minor parts changing to help with economy and emissions. I don't know specifics.

PCNA is being quiet because they'd like to distance themselves from the VW diesel thing. This isn't related but an effect of a witch hunt.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:46 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

It's all [VAG]turbos. It's not VW related but it is... the company is being overly scrutinized. Should be no difference to performance in anyway from what I know/heard/rumor. Just some minor parts changing to help with economy and emissions. I don't know specifics.

PCNA is being quiet because they'd like to distance themselves from the VW diesel thing. This isn't related but an effect of a witch hunt.
interesting, thanks.

it would be helpful if those that have recently received their cars could post when it got to its respective US port and when it left (include dates, not just the duration at port; and the specific port). that could help us gauge how long the delay could be for ours, and should eventually show when they stop getting delayed (assuming P starts taking care of the issue before it leaves Germany).
Old 11-10-2016, 12:48 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

....Should be no difference to performance ... Just some minor parts changing to help with economy and emissions.
Thanks for the update; but, your observation, to me, contains a contradiction. That is, "helping" emissions and economy usually translates to de tuning engine performance.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

I wrote to my SA - let's see how and if I get a response.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Dan Nagy;13737574]I wrote to my SA and he has not heard anything about it.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Order on Recent 991.2's