Sponsored by:

7 Speed Manual Trans Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
As for 7th gear, I use it all the time on the highway. I routinely drive over 200 highway miles to enjoy 150 miles of back roads. On the highway, in cruise control, at 76 mph, in 7th gear, just under 2,300 RPM, I can get over 32 mpg. Pretty cool with a 430 HP car. ***now someone will post 'i did not buy a 911 to get good gas mileage'.......just watch***

I'm very happy with the 991's gearbox. Seems to take some muscle memory reprograming for most new owners (me included back in 2014).
OK, I'll bite. Seriously, I have no idea of my gas mileage. In 22K miles I've never looked at it.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
This is my 9th MT vehicle and my least favorite transmission.

Gates are too close
Throws are too long
Gates are too close
Too easy to catch R instead of 1 when stopped and vida versa
Shift **** is too high
Gates are too close

I have to constantly think about and consentrate on every shift to ensure I catch the correct gear which is total BS for a sports car.

But other than that it is great.

Just my $0.02
Wouldn't a short-shifter solve some of the elements you dislike about the transmission?

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting one as soon as my 991 is delivered.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:30 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

997 manual way better. I swapped out of a 991 mt to a pdk. Granted was a 991s to 991tt
Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

I have 991.2 MT and after first 3000 km shifts and feels great, no problems
Old 11-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Gates are too close
Throws are too long
Gates are too close
Shift **** is too high
Gates are too close

I have to constantly think about and consentrate on every shift to ensure I catch the correct gear which is total BS for a sports car.

Just my $0.02
All fixed with the Gt4 shifter. Now shifts better than my 997.2 with a B&M on it.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Your concerns about lever being too high and throws being too long are solved by $270 at Sunset Porsche and 2 hours labor. Get the GT4 shifter and have it installed. I plan on doing it soon.

As for 1st / Reverse, maybe my spring is stronger, but it takes concerted effort to go into the Reverse gate on my car. I've never mistaken it once
Originally Posted by FifthGear
Wouldn't a short-shifter solve some of the elements you dislike about the transmission?

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting one as soon as my 991 is delivered.
Originally Posted by Chris C.
All fixed with the Gt4 shifter. Now shifts better than my 997.2 with a B&M on it.
Yes, setting aside my thoughts that it is total BS that we should have to install the GT4 shift linkage in a six figure sports car to get the shifter to feel and work right, I believe the GT4 linkage would minimize most of my complaints.

I would have already ordered one but this car is a lease and I have every intension of turning it in next year and ordering a 991.2 S. I could probably swap it into the .2 but alas, this current car was an experiment for me. Think of it as a two year test drive so I could figure out what I really want in my next one. I have decided I really want a PDK.

My car is a pretty basic stripper but if it was white instead of black and had Sport Chrono I would probably keep it and get the GT4 linkage. As it is, it has three major strikes (and several minor strikes) against it but it has been fun, no make that FUN and has given me the insight I needed to order my next one which will be VERY long term.

To the OP, obviously I have issues with the MT7. Because of that I have looked a multiple threads on it in multiple forums and I have come to the conclusion there are basically two options of the MT7. A) It's great - you just have to get used to it. B) Meah, it's not so good but once you install the GT4 linkage it is great.

YMMV
Old 11-06-2016, 01:08 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gates are too close
Throws are too long
Gates are too close
Shift **** is too high
Gates are too close

Just my $0.02
Wow..i thought the manual in 991.2 is perfect!!! This is my 3rd manual (WRX, M4). No issue with catching correct gear! I do know what you mean on R. In the M4 the effort is required a bit more to the point that when I first got the car i thought I'm going to destroy the transmission trying to put it into R. I guess to each of his own.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:27 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 991.1 7MT and absolutely love it. It's gotten smoother as I've put more miles on it (I have 6,000 now). The placement felt a little strange at first, but now it feels more natural than my other car that has it lower.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:05 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKBITEATTACK
It sucks that much huh? Weird
not to me. Lots of people on this forum seem to think so. I love my 7-speed MT
Old 11-07-2016, 03:36 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
not to me. Lots of people on this forum seem to think so. I love my 7-speed MT
+1
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I am a 7 MT driver and have owned several other P cars including 997 TT. I just put the GT 4 short shift kit in and have no issues with the drivability of the 991 MT. I drive it daily on horse country back roads and love it. I put short shift kit in my 997 too and think the feel is comparable.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Having driven both 997/991 MT in quick succession, I think the bad rap on the 7MT is vastly overblown (and I fell for the hype myself, same with the supposedly numb steering assist which I actually love).

The one thing that still bugs me about the 7MT is the 5->6 shift.. Something about the mechanism - possibly the lockout - makes it feel like 6th is slightly slanted towards me, closer to 4th in other words, not directly below 5th... At least it feels vaguely that way to me... I never ever use 7 but that is a function of my commute, I'm not angry at it ;-)

Will get a GT4 shorter lever soon. My other beef is the gear indicator not indicating the gear until the clutch pedal is released but we covered that elsewhere, and nobody knows why some cars do and don't, software or options or what.. I've asked PCA in their tech forums..
Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
My other beef is the gear indicator not indicating the gear until the clutch pedal is released but we covered that elsewhere, and nobody knows why some cars do and don't, software or options or what.. I've asked PCA in their tech forums..
GregD - Do you have Sport Chrono in your car? I think we were starting to see a trend in the other thread.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:39 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have sports mode, but not the chrono. Could be that... But given that the display works (just after clutch release), that makes very little sense or at least should be fixable by software ;-) I've sort of resolved that issue by forgetting 7th even exists!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
I have sports mode, but not the chrono. Could be that... But given that the display works (just after clutch release), that makes very little sense or at least should be fixable by software ;-) I've sort of resolved that issue by forgetting 7th even exists!
Actually that supports the trend. Sports Chrono offers autoblip in Sports+ mode. Autoblip has to know the target gear prior to engagement in order to know the matching target rpm for the blip (I've tried a light 4 to 3 versus 4 to 2 and the blip matched the necessary rpms for the target gear in the downshift prior to clutch release).

This is just a theory...

Quick Reply: 7 Speed Manual Trans Info