Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you self-replace the 991 battery ? Y or N ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:24 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can you self-replace the 991 battery ? Y or N ?

My real question got sidetracked under replies about the alternator output (replies that I appreciate very much - not complaining ;-)... But my battery is showing 12.19V in the morning after a night's sleep... As far as I know that is an old-dying battery reading and I want to replace it...Manual says "visit dealer or else" - in the past that statement was BS... (my cayman said the same)

So...

*Can I replace my 2013 991 Battery myself of will that trigger a raft of ECU/charging/errors that will require a dealer visit ?*

Is it a crapshoot ?

If the answer is yes, should I maintain power while doing so, and if so what device do you recommend to do that ? Thanks guys !
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes you can. My dealer wanted to reprogram the ECU. They also wanted to do this for the LED clears. I did it myself and no problem 4K miles and going post battery change.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Also.... The Porsche battery isn't the greatest and you can get a much better battery for significantly less.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yes you can. My dealer wanted to reprogram the ECU. They also wanted to do this for the LED clears. I did it myself and no problem 4K miles and going post battery change.
Are you saying the ECU needs to be reprogrammed if you add LED clear side markers? I was going to do that myself after the car arrived, but not if I need to reprogram the ECU - not a clue what to do with that.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:25 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Are you saying the ECU needs to be reprogrammed if you add LED clear side markers? I was going to do that myself after the car arrived, but not if I need to reprogram the ECU - not a clue what to do with that.
NO visit to the dealer for the clear side markers. This is a 5 min job tops. Easy to do and no codes! Get the LED ones
Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 PM
R_Rated
Banned

My dealer wanted 3 hours of labor for this reason. I did it in under 7 minutes including watching YouTube to figure out how.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:10 PM
GregD
Racer

did you maintain power while doing this or did not bother ?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by GregD
did you maintain power while doing this or did not bother ?
Did not bother. It's no more complex than changing the battery in any other car. I also asked these same questions on here.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 748 Posts

Also.... The Porsche battery isn't the greatest and you can get a much better battery for significantly less.
what new battery did you wind up replacing the OEM with?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Also interested in doing this. Which battery should I go with If not the original Porsche battery? I'm sure there are batteries that are just as good or better W/O paying the premium of the Porsche name on the top.
I was going to hook up a battery tender to the Aux. outlet in center console while the battery is disconnected.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:15 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I disconnected the battery on my car when I installed the anti-Laser and radar detectors in my car and had no problem when I powered it back up.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM
GregD
Racer

Thanks a bunch for your reply, R_rated... Job done... Zero issues... Not even a PSM reset, just windows...

Here's what I did, in case others have questions..

Req: 13mm socket, long extension (or elvish fingers and freakishly skinny forearms), 10mm wrench or socket, T30 torx. I also got a $10 power maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter with a 9V battery. I have no idea if it helped or not, more later... Got a regular NAPA battery their computer spat out for my car. Did not see any factory venting to the Porsche battery !

I'd like to format this better but I can't seem to insert comments between uploaded pics. Anyway...

1) I removed the plastic tray that contains the air compressor, 2 torx 30 screws, to access the battery strap nut better
2) I detached everything before disconnecting the battery. The battery side/bottom bracket (1x 13mm) and the 2 nuts on the strap (also 13mm, one using the long extension). The bottom bracket is moveable for different battery sizes, the porsche one was 1" shorter than mine. My new battery has more CCA too.
3) loosened the clamps at battery terminals, plugged in my 9V battery thingy in the cigarette lighter
4) removed battery, installed new one, quickly reconnected it just in case...
5) reattached the strap, the bottom bracket in the next position over to accommodate the bigger battery, reattached the compressor tray. Buttoned up..

10 minutes total ? Including figuring out socket sizes... Got in the car, radio turned on to the same Mp4 song so looks like nothing was lost, all my dash settings or preferences are there. No warning lights for anything, not even PSM.

So why am I not sure the 9V battery did its job ? because when plugging the battery I heard something kick in again (maybe something that needed more than 9V), and because the windows did lose their closed position..

To fix that: 10 seconds:
1) lower the window all the way down and release the switch
2) push the switch down, hold it there for 3 seconds, and then release
3) raise the window all the way and release the switch
4) pull the switch up, hold it for 3 seconds, and then release - repeat for other window
5) turn car off and then back on

My porsche battery came in at 12.19V and tested 50% dead in the car... Guy at Napa said "no good"... I'm recharging the new one now, but I already saw the alternator output drop to lower levels in my testing... (funny thing is out of the car it's testing more or less OK, say 75% good)
Attached Images        

Last edited by GregD; 11-01-2016 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Plangley (05-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

I had to disconnect my battery when I installed the AWE wind spoilers (I was fortunate enough to have the door type that required disassembly). Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery created no problems other than resetting the windows (which was described well in the owner's manual), clocks all reset through GPS, no error codes, no messages in the MFD.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by VWfamily
NO visit to the dealer for the clear side markers. This is a 5 min job tops. Easy to do and no codes! Get the LED ones
Yes, I watched the YouTube video and it seemed like a simple job.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Did not see any factory venting to the Porsche battery !

Correct. No venting on the factory AGM battery.

Quick Reply: Can you self-replace the 991 battery ? Y or N ?