Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you self-replace the 991 battery ? Y or N ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019 | 01:42 PM
GasStation
Advanced

I have been educating myself on batteries, specifically the Banner brand battery VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) utilized by Porsche batteries. For the inquisitive minds, the valves used in VRLA batteries are meant to be safety valves that allow pressure to be released when a fault condition occurs.

According to a Concordia University document, there are three types of VRLA batteries as follows:
  • Sealed valve regulated wet cell (non-spillable);
  • Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM); and
  • Gel batteries (silica dust added to electrolyte).
Bear in mind that companies may add their own personal touch and label their brands differently.

The Porsche Owner's manual does not clearly indicate which battery Porsche installs in the 991.1

According to the Banner website, they make two types of batteries for Porsche: an AGM described as Absorbent Glass Mat and VRLA described as Valve-regulated nonwoven battery or Enhance Flooded Battery (EFB). They further state that the AGM applications include micro-hybrid applications (start/stop braking energy recuperation) whereas the EFB batteries are used in vehicles equipped with the start/stop function without energy recuperation.

In summary, my research indicates that the 991.1 comes equipped with the Porsche Banner batteries of the VRLA/EFB or VRLA/Sealed valve regulated wet cell and not the AGM type since the 991 does not have "energy recuperation".

Gas
Old 02-16-2019 | 09:19 PM
cenzzo
7th Gear

Hey there,
I had to replace the battery in my 991, and Porsche quoted me $500 to install and "reprogram" everything.
I had AAA come and got a new battery, gel, for half that. And, I found that there were two issues, one
of which was mentioned above - the steering error that pops up. Guess, what, all you have to do is start
the car, turn the wheel all the way to the right, and then all the way to the left, so the car knows the limits
and that error light goes out. As far as the windows or sunroof going all the way closed, it simple states
in the manual, to open the window all the way, and push "up" again, then close it all the way down,
and push "down" again, and now the car knows the fully open and closed. Done. That dealer mentioned in a
thread above who said they'd "reprogram" the steering for you at no charge (and charge you for another
battery at the same time) are not very ethical. My Porsche dealer admitted it didn't have to be Porsche.
Vince
2012.5 Carrera S
1988 Carrera cab
they'd "reprogram" it at no charge, and charging you for a new battery are not very ethical.
Old 02-16-2019 | 09:45 PM
drive95
Instructor

I'm going to self-replace my battery. Though I am undecided whether I am going to go with Antigragity's 30AH H6 battery, or a traditional unit (solely a cost based dilemma) I feel comfortable in replacing it on my own.
​​​​​​
​​​My auto start/stop system has ceased to function and is one of the leading indicators of an older battery. As you all know, I'm sure, the manual recommends a dealer calibration when replacing the battery. Though it appears from many members' experiences that it is unnecessary, my service advisor whom I trust informed me that the calibration will enable the auto start/stop system again. It has to do with the car's determination of battery age, apparently.

To accomplish this I've purchaed this off Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

It is an iCarsoft V2.0 tool which will reset the battery calibration, maintenance reminders, etc.

I don't think I'll need a battery maintainer during this procedure. If the settings reset so be it.

Will report back whenever I get all this knocked out...
Old 02-16-2019 | 09:48 PM
GasStation
Advanced

What are you driving?

Can you tell me if you are able to get an over-rev report using the iCarsoft tool?

Gas
Old 02-16-2019 | 09:49 PM
drive95
Instructor

Originally Posted by GasStation
What are you driving?

Can you tell me if you are able to get an over-rev report using the iCarsoft tool?

Gas
2014 991.1 C2
I don't know the answer to that...
Old 04-01-2019 | 02:05 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by drive95
I'm going to self-replace my battery. Though I am undecided whether I am going to go with Antigragity's 30AH H6 battery, or a traditional unit (solely a cost based dilemma) I feel comfortable in replacing it on my own.
​​​​​​
​​​My auto start/stop system has ceased to function and is one of the leading indicators of an older battery. As you all know, I'm sure, the manual recommends a dealer calibration when replacing the battery. Though it appears from many members' experiences that it is unnecessary, my service advisor whom I trust informed me that the calibration will enable the auto start/stop system again. It has to do with the car's determination of battery age, apparently.

To accomplish this I've purchaed this off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/iCarsoft-Diag.../dp/B07F2WF96Y

It is an iCarsoft V2.0 tool which will reset the battery calibration, maintenance reminders, etc.

I don't think I'll need a battery maintainer during this procedure. If the settings reset so be it.

Will report back whenever I get all this knocked out...
Did that iCarsoft tool allow you to reset the battery calibration? I have read in other threads that this can only be accomplished by "a factory level scan tool." More specifically, using a "PIWIS Tester II," under, "the path Maintenance/Repair/Battery replacement."

Source: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9904...-question.html
Old 04-01-2019 | 02:11 PM
drive95
Instructor

Originally Posted by bommerts
Did that iCarsoft tool allow you to reset the battery calibration? I have read in other threads that this can only be accomplished by "a factory level scan tool." More specifically, using a "PIWIS Tester II," under, "the path Maintenance/Repair/Battery replacement."

Source: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9904...-question.html
It did not. It suffered a communications failure when trying to write the battery calibration data. I returned it and brought it to JM Auto Performance in Atlanta. He had a big professional diagnostic box of some brand that did it straight away.
Old 04-01-2019 | 02:19 PM
bemdblu
Intermediate

Default Reset calibration.

[QUOTE=drive95;15743508]It did not. It suffered a communications failure when trying to write the battery calibration data. I returned it and brought it to JM Auto Performance in Atlanta. He had a big professional diagnostic box of some brand that did it straight away.[

They have us coming and going. Software provides in service date for warranty on battery. It also eliminates.messages that says something is amiss. Glad to have the board to provide us with others experience. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2019 | 02:32 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drive95
It did not. It suffered a communications failure when trying to write the battery calibration data. I returned it and brought it to JM Auto Performance in Atlanta. He had a big professional diagnostic box of some brand that did it straight away.
Has anyone tried the durametric for this?
Old 04-02-2019 | 12:22 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Has anyone tried the Bosche, I like these as they have 48 month replacement vs most batteries that have 36

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-premiu...OHC?quantity=1
Old 04-02-2019 | 12:46 PM
bemdblu
Intermediate

Is it an AGM battery?
Old 02-09-2020 | 09:38 PM
foxj0001
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Greg D in NorCal

Greg,
Your stepwise description and photos were a great help in my removal of a dead battery from my 991.2 GTS Cab. Many thanks for the straightforward and helpful approach to what should be (and is, but looks daunting when first approached) a simple procedure. Took 10min as you advertised!

Cheers
Jonathan (SF)
Old 02-09-2020 | 09:49 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Just to add for my experience for the 991.1.

When I had my HVAC fan issue and had to leave the battery disconnected for a week before service could get me in ..... the car didn't lose any settings.

I thought this was strange since quite a few on here talk about taking steps so the car keeps its stored settings.

Quick Reply: Can you self-replace the 991 battery ? Y or N ?