Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your g-meters

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Going downhill into a turn that is then flat will also show impressive numbers. Lots of compression as the the car is turned (effectively) upwards.

Isn't COTA turn 12 one of those?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

You can carry a lot of speed and thus show high g's through the downhill turn onto the front straight. That's most likely where that 1.7 came from. Not unusual for LRP as far as I am aware. Lots of compression grip.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Speaking of COTA and G-Sensor readings, here's another way to look at it. This is part of the data readout from the Sport Chrono after one on my recent autocross runs... although it was just in a COTA parking lot. It shows a peak left-turn G of 1.31 on the first run and a right-turn peak G of -1.23 G on the second. Too bad I never had what I considered an ideal run that day so that both were on the same run.

The longitudinal G's weren't too impressive since the course started with a zig-zag (to prevent launches?) and was pretty much a never-ending series of turns so I was never on full brakes (although I think in retrospect I should have braked harder in a few places).

The thing of interest in both of these is that the highest G moments were under moderate braking so the front end was loaded and the car is at a relatively low speed. The tires were normal street summer tires.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually your higher g's may have been an abrupt uphill turn, we just covered this in a track walk this week (Bertil Roos Racing). We have two similar hard left hand turns, both are perfect for trail braking. One is at the end of a downhill (Turn 7) and the other is at the end of an uphill (Turn 10), both have positive camber on the inside. I've always been able to take Turn 10 MUCH faster than Turn 7, the track walk proved why it worked this way due to the slope in elevation.

Point is, your car loads much better when gravity is helping, thus magnitudes of better grip going uphill versus downhill. I'll see if I can pull g's on the two turns to show the difference.

Also, as Subshooter points out, lateral g's peak at the tire's grip point when the car starts to slide - no more increasing g's beyond that point. Trail brake and slide into a section of outside curbing, witness how quickly the curbing stops the lateral movement, and then go check your g meter
Old 11-03-2016, 06:16 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Sorry but you guys are mistaken on this point. The coefficient for static friction is > than the coefficient for kinetic friction.

In other words, once your tires start to slide, the g forces will decrease. I'd be happy to go through all the math and newtons equations at the risk of being a nerd and boring everyone."

You are indeed correct!
Caused by retired Nuclear Engineer 'brain fart'!-Richard
Old 11-03-2016, 06:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

So let's continue to nerd out! Here is a nicely written article that addresses lateral adhesion: http://racingcardynamics.com/racing-...lateral-force/. In earlier years when I was a video game programmer I did the physics model for a car racing game (Supercar Street Challenge on the PS2) and tried really hard to use realistic physics calculations when possible. I spent a lot of time studying longitudinal and lateral slip ratios for the tire traction models. There wasn't a lot online at the time but I did manage to snag a book on the subject written by tire engineers in Detroit.

Interestingly, you DO actually get more tractive force applied when you spin your tires a bit on launch, but only within limits. Look up longitudinal slip ratio if interested. But as I understand it, when you are in a turn the tire face is experiencing some twist/crawl/roll due to the steering angle and lateral forces so the rules there are different.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-06-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:02 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
"Sorry but you guys are mistaken on this point. The coefficient for static friction is > than the coefficient for kinetic friction.

In other words, once your tires start to slide, the g forces will decrease. I'd be happy to go through all the math and newtons equations at the risk of being a nerd and boring everyone."

You are indeed correct!
It's all good. I am still working as a nuclear engineer. How else can I afford these cars?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by budrichard

You are indeed correct!
There are some posts made by the software engineer who does the tire models for the Assetto Corsa game, and you can check the tire definitions for different tires in the car data. Regardless of what you think of the game in general, this particular engineer (who was into non-game simulation before) places a strong emphasis on tire behavior before slip as opposed to when slip started to happen. He would never use the same friction for both.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Actually your higher g's may have been an abrupt uphill turn, we just covered this in a track walk this week (Bertil Roos Racing). We have two similar hard left hand turns, both are perfect for trail braking. One is at the end of a downhill (Turn 7) and the other is at the end of an uphill (Turn 10), both have positive camber on the inside. I've always been able to take Turn 10 MUCH faster than Turn 7, the track walk proved why it worked this way due to the slope in elevation.

Point is, your car loads much better when gravity is helping, thus magnitudes of better grip going uphill versus downhill. I'll see if I can pull g's on the two turns to show the difference.
:
Wouldn't gravity be working against you at the end of an uphill? The suspension would be unloading wouldn't it? Therefore reducing available grip?

And there isn't an abrupt uphill turn at LRP.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:02 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwar99
Wouldn't gravity be working against you at the end of an uphill? The suspension would be unloading wouldn't it? Therefore reducing available grip?

The extra suspension load here does not come from gravity.

In comes from (the direction of) the impulse vector being forced to change upwards. That causes centrifugal forces vectored toward the bottom of the car. It doesn't matter whether you go from horizontal to uphill or from downhill to horizontal, the suspension load extra is almost the same.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:45 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does PDCC reduce lateral g-force? Or does g-force register regardless of the roll counterbalance performed by PDCC?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99

The crest of the hill is just past the apex, so the entire braking zone (and turn in) is uphill. After the apex, yes the car unloads - which is the other half of the corner and partly why it is everyone's favorite - huge rewards for a good driver
Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

From a track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park in my RS
Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Does PDCC reduce lateral g-force? Or does g-force register regardless of the roll counterbalance performed by PDCC?
Well, if the sensor is mounted in the body then reducing body roll will increase the values read by the meter (for the same actual car path wrt the tires).
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Bumping an old thread...

This really impressed me

Quick Reply: Post your g-meters