Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

OP lives next town over from me , a suburban area where using freeways is a must to get anywhere and where I have over the decades occas nearly hydroplaned in SUVs with full tread all season tires in sudden heavy rain on Hwy 101 between Mtn View and Burlingame and also on the nearby Dumbarton Bridge approaches , which both have " wavy " sections with " hidden pools " of standing water due to settling from these sections having been built almost entirely over historical bay marsh landfill areas ...if you are driving at 65 with PSC2s in these conditions....even if you had an AWD 911, that car is at that moment NO WHEEL DRIVE when floating completely off the road surface .

If ya lived in SF itself and use a PSC2-shod car in rain and ONLY in dawdling speeds (avoiding cabie car tracks) and never on the freeway .. no biggie

Wet surface controlled / anticipated tire performance on a flooded smooth skid pad or rainy track ( even then , those lurid, wet opposite lock slides on "you tube " car review track videos will never mention the 9 spins into the dirt before they made it out the other side ) is not the same as unanticipated sudden standing pools of water taken at speed !

and dont even think about HWY 280 between Hillsborough and Los Altos Hills on the opposite side of the peninsula which with its white out torrents , roller coaster ( pooling ) topography , high winds and HIGH speeds even during storms is near suicidal with track prioritized rubber compound/ tread pattern/ starting tread depth

be safe !

Last edited by MKW; 10-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

SC2s might be ok if there is no standing water, but you get that on a lot of the freeways around here when it rains. Mix that with cold temps under 45 degrees and you could regret it. I live in the SF Bay Area and depend on my car for DD, so I went with PSS. No regrets. Much better than the P Zeros they replaced.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been running SC2s for 2 years on the track and street in a very wet area of the US. I have no reservations about using them. You must be prudent with any tire hitting standing water. I'd be more concerned about sub freezing temperatures. That said, if you don't plan on tracking, the tire is simply over kill and the MPSS are so good it's not a measurable difference on the street. I'm going to run the RE71Rs next and I'm more concerned about those in the wet.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:39 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents... I had cups on my R8GT since I was doing regular-ish track and street use...they were ok in the rain for about half their life then they scared the crap out of me in a Florida rainstorm or three on the interstate. Couldn't barely maintain anything more than 55 to 60 on I 4 with some tire ruts in the pavement...ok going straight in one lane but trying to change lanes across water filled ruts...yikes. I will not do them again for dual street/occasional track. No the AWD doesn't/didn't help at all other than helping avoid a 360 when something does regain grip after hydroplaning. And remembering it I really have not experienced such bad hydroplaning since way before I ever bought/drove performance cars. Also they wore out in 6K miles. In the cold (Chicago at the time 45 or lower) yup they were complete hockey pucks. Could drive conservative normal, i.e. cautious fine but any non judicious throttle or brake application resulted in tires breaking grip.

Next set of tires are MSS and work great in the rain, still do, even with somehow 15K on them. Switching out the P-zeros on my Carrera S with the next set to MSS. They have made a night and day difference on all of my Audi RS cars over the years to go with Michelin. If it says anything I got a free set of MSS from Audi NA (they gave me a set they didn't need after Sebring this year as they were switching to the new generation R8s) from their R8s they use for pace cars, taking people around the track and general use before races like Sebring/Daytona/COTA/Petite.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:08 AM
Srikecorp
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz
I was wondering if any you folks who use the Pilot Sport Cup 2s as daily driving tires can share your experiences in the rain. I am also curious to know how the Sport Cup 2s compare to the Michelin Super Sports and Pirelli P Zeros in terms of ride quality and noise on city streets.

I am trying to determine the feasibility of using them as daily tires in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks in advance
Spectacular hydroplaning capability. If you want to float, these are your tires.

Given that this is my daily driver and... Seattle...I'm planning to go another direction within the next few weeks.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:20 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 382 Posts

^What they said.

For anything other than a dual use street/track car, the MP4S make much more sense and give better performance/wear. I think the 4S's are the best all around performing tire I've ever driven. I've driven them in all conditions and even the track. They give up very little to the MSPC2's even on track.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in rain