Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 S test drive experience from a Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:56 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't it be the other way around (softer with lower pressures)?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Probably a result of your cold tire spressures vs hot tire pressures.
Originally Posted by 911seeker
Shouldn't it be the other way around (softer with lower pressures)?
Probably the tires themselves warming up and becoming more flexible.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Probably the tires themselves warming up and becoming more flexible.
The tires themselves don't become more flexible. As the cold tires flex they create heat, which makes the pressures rise. As tire pressure rises, the tires get firmer and the sidewalls flex less.

I agree with the others who say that the ride should feel firmer, not softer, as the tires come up to temp, though unless your tires were way underinflated, I doubt the average driver can really feel the few lbs difference created by driving.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:10 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

1....Howevåer, I can't imagine driving this car in traffic for prolonged period of time. It's not very comfortable (more below).

What are you comparing ride comfort to? A Cayman, Panamera, other sedans and brands? If you crawled out of a S500 or something like that and into the 911 - yeah, you're going to feel a bit roughed up.

4. I must say I didn't like the GT steering wheel. I was surprised how small it is in person, both in radius and wheel thickness. There is also some strange plastic flexing sound when I push or turn on the steering wheel like it's not well built. Maybe just this car? This is my biggest disappointment with this car. The steering wheel just felt too small and inadequate. The paddle shifters, however, are excellent.

But thank the powers that be they finally got rid of those clunky push-button shifters! I saw those on a 2016 Turbo S and just couldn't get over it. SMH.

6. The car is quite low and looks smaller in person. I had thought cabin space would be noticeably bigger than cayman or boxster but they are identical.

One of the biggest reasons I'm looking to upgrade from my Cayman to a 911 is leg room. Spend some time in the Cayman, with the seat all the way back, against the firewall, while you try to stretch out your legs, and I think you'll see there's a big difference in comfort level there.

All of that said, the .2 is not within reach for me - I was just fortunate enough to test one for a bit. So take my comments for what they're worth. And, it doesn't appear that you're concerned about it, but: the 991.1 S are an absolute steal for the difference in price.

Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: 991.2 S test drive experience from a Noobie