Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Glad I got my Targa 4, limited supply should help residual
Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Glad I got my Targa 4, limited supply should help residual
Would you mind sharing your discount (if any?) Was it difficult to get an allocation?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Would you mind sharing your discount (if any?) Was it difficult to get an allocation?
Minimal discount (no PDI), got allocation on the spot talking to salesman (this was spring when 991.2 had just came out).
Old 11-10-2016, 05:24 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Very mixed reviews on PDCC.... Many complain about it creating a very 'artificial' handling feel, but it does allow you to corner with hugely reduced body roll without a punishingly stiff suspension.
It's not just what it does.

It is the fact that it does something, and they don't give you any control over it, or inform you in any way.

All you can do it something undocumented that happens with the sport buttons, and it is always combined with some other changes that are also underdocumented.

If you are in a situation where you want some elements of sport but the reduced body roll in exchange for throwing you around is not what you need - too bad. Maybe you can pull the fuse.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:22 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Am I the only one who doesn't understand this reply?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
^^^ Am I the only one who doesn't understand this reply?
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble understanding the point even after multiple reads of that one. In any case, it turned out that on this thread the PDCC discussion is moot since according to Jenner Targa's can't get SPASM, and you can't get PDCC without SPASM. So moving on....
Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble understanding the point even after multiple reads of that one. In any case, it turned out that on this thread the PDCC discussion is moot since according to Jenner Targa's can't get SPASM, and you can't get PDCC without SPASM. So moving on....
In summary I don't like software doing random things with me and my stuff

Without control or even information.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

In any case, it turned out that on this thread the PDCC discussion is moot since according to Jenner Targa's can't get SPASM, and you can't get PDCC without SPASM. So moving on....
Not true. PDCC only requires rear axle steering so it's not available on the base Targa, same as it's not available on the base Carrera. It IS available on the Targa S and can be ordered with or without the 20mm lower PASM Sports suspension. (EDIT : last comment incorrect, no SPASM on TargaS)

Everyone I've met who doesn't like PDCC has not tried it!

Last edited by steve9; 11-11-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Targa 4 and Targa 4S CANNOT get SPASM.

(I never said anything about PDCC but Steve is correct only the Targa 4S can get PDCC)
Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by steve9
Not true. PDCC only requires rear axle steering so it's not available on the base Targa, same as it's not available on the base Carrera. It IS available on the Targa S and can be ordered with or without the 20mm lower PASM Sports suspension.
Everyone I've met who doesn't like PDCC has not tried it!
I stand corrected on PDCC requiring SPASM. My car has both and after some initial getting used to the near lack of roll when enabled I love it. When shopping for my car I was looking for PDCC and the few I could find also had SPASM so I assumed they came together. My bad.

However, PDCC does not require rear axle steering. There is no logical reason the two would be coupled unless they just happened to part of a factory package, and they are not. I can verify I do not have rear axle steering yet I have PDCC and SPASM.

I could see not liking it on first drive. But once you see what it does for maximum cornering and you get used to the feel of it I think many would find it to be a win, but certainly not a necessity, and it is certainly a bit odd at first. You have to learn to read the lateral limits differently. To me dismissing PDCC is kind of like saying that PDK isn't worth considering even it it leads to significantly fast times. But with PDK and PDCC your goal is maximum performance then it makes more sense, less so if you are after certain visceral experiences that are important to you. (i'll probably reach my limits with this type of argument on all-electric engines though, I'll miss the wonderful flat-six sounds too much).

It is documented as to what it does, Excellence magazine had a short article on it and there are a handful of others. And it is only active when you select the PDCC/PASM button, so you have control of it. When it is not active you actually end up with a better ride than you would have had without it on a PASM/SPASM car since the roll bars become more decoupled and this more compliant in normal driving.

I have a couple of distant photos of my car mid-course during autocross and the car looks darned flat. The biggest advantage in my mind is that the tire face relationship to the pavement doesn't change that much with PDCC on, something we normally compensate for by adding lots of negative camber. I still have negative camber but its not as aggressive as on my last 911. With PDCC both the tires on the inside and the outside of the turn keep their faces pretty square with the pavement, although there is still likely some roll from the tire sidewalls themselves.

Sorry again for the hijack OP! How's the Targa hunt coming?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:50 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

However, PDCC does not require rear axle steering. There is no logical reason the two would be coupled unless they just happened to part of a factory package, and they are not. I can verify I do not have rear axle steering yet I have PDCC and SPASM.
no worries, I was wrong too about the SPASM on the Targa - I've corrected my previous post. Thanks Jenner.

However, on the 991.2 (OP was configuring a new Targa) PDCC must be ordered with rear wheel steering. I agree - no logical reason that I can think of as RWS was not available on the 991.1

Quick Reply: Targa 4 or 4S?