Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Targa 4 or 4S? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/958059-targa-4-or-4s.html)

Keadog 10-13-2016 04:53 PM

Targa 4 or 4S?

Working on an order and am down to either a 4 or a 4S Targa. Happy to hear any thoughts. Certainly not "debate free".

The 4 build comes in around $131:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PHBB6Z99

and the 4S at $147:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PHMYMK55

I worry a little about the reliability of the top mechanism and 4 wheel steering, but probably won't keep it longer than 4 years anyhow.

Thanks for looking. I think the Graphite is a real sleeper color and loved it the first time I saw it in person.

Jenner 10-13-2016 05:00 PM

Saying this as someone who is waiting for his Targa 4S to arrive I suggest going with the extra power in the S to offset the extra weight of the Targa and AWD system.

The weight doesn't bother me in terms of 0-60 or handling, its not meant to be a track car nor will I ever use it as one, but while I feel the reviewers are right when they say the 991.2 base is plenty of car they are always driving a RWD Coupe not a AWD Targa.

subshooter 10-13-2016 05:17 PM

I'd pass on the front lift since you do not have SPASM (cant get with Targa anyway) and bag the 4WS. Not worth it unless you are trying to get 0.1 secs on a lap.

S or base is fine. The Base Targa even with its weight will be faster than your 981. Do you need anything faster?

Everything else is a thumbs up.

LCW 10-13-2016 05:21 PM

IMHO the Lane Change Assist is a must have these days.

go.illini 10-13-2016 05:22 PM

Graphite Blue metallic for the win.

Obviously a very personal question. For me it comes down to how I would use the car. It is already well established the base 991.2 is hella fast. I would argue that for "spirited" driving the base will be plenty of car.

I don't see the point of Sport Chrono on a base car (unless you like the look of the dash pod). I would ditch that and probably the PTV and put in PSE. But you're not building my car...

Overdraft 10-13-2016 05:31 PM

T4S for sure. Love the sport exhaust a must on either car because besides sounding great - it looks cool...delete axle lift....put Carrera Sport wheels...and your car is very similar to my wife's that I just ordered.

Al.Fresco 10-13-2016 05:37 PM

In the .1 world, I opted for the S for the larger displacement engine.

In the .2 world, since its 3.0 vs 3.0, I'd save my $$$ and opt for the Base. Tests seem to show the Base is plenty of car for most.

BTW....saw a Graphite Blue Targa .1 in Park City this summer ....wowzer .... really hot color and great combo with the Targa bar. Great choice there!!

Archimedes 10-13-2016 05:39 PM

I'm on the fence as well with regard to a coupe 4 or 4S. For me, the only additional things I'd get with my build on the S are more power, bigger brakes and SPASM. It's going to come down to whether I want SPASM on this car, or if PASM will be fine given the intended use of the car. If PASM, I'll probably just get the 4, as I don't absolutely need the brakes and I understand the S has a bit more lag than the base. I'm wavering back and forth, but I've got time as I don't intend to make a decision until the end of the year at the earliest.

Archimedes 10-13-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fasttr (Post 13673134)
In the .1 world, I opted for the S for the larger displacement engine.

In the .2 world, since its 3.0 vs 3.0, I'd save my $$$ and opt for the Base. Tests seem to show the Base is plenty of car for most.

Unless you want SPASM or the bigger 6 piston iron brakes. Then you have no choice but to opt for the S.

Al.Fresco 10-13-2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 13673142)
Unless you want SPASM or the bigger 6 piston iron brakes. Then you have no choice but to opt for the S.

No SPASM on Targas unless that has changed with the .2

pfbz 10-13-2016 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Keadog (Post 13673007)
Working on an order and am down to either a 4 or a 4S Targa. Happy to hear any thoughts.

I think on the .2's, non-S versions are still mighty quick and satisfying... If it was a previous generation 991.1, I'd say the S is a must, but the new non S cars are a home run IMHO.

If you really want a targa top, seems like the non-S Targa is the way to go. Definitely not as 'sporty' as the 4S with more weight up top and lower power, but still plenty of performance unless you are thinking lap times on track days.

trice9 10-13-2016 05:50 PM

I'm curious, do you have an allocation or is that the next step? When I was trying to order mine (due December), it was very difficult to find an allocation (have 3 local dealers, and tried others as well). My dealer ended up trading with another after looking for a bit, but I was under the impression the allocations are hard to come by. I'm sure its due to a mix of low Targa supply and probably not-too-high Targa demand. So I'm wondering if either of those have changed recently.

As far as the question, I don't have an opinion for you, but I ordered the 4S. That's what I test drove and loved it, and coming from a TT I didn't want to chance being disappointed with less power.

go.illini 10-13-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 13673142)
Unless you want SPASM

Originally Posted by Fasttr (Post 13673145)
No SPASM on Targas unless that has changed with the .2

@Fasttr is correct. No SPASM on .2 Targa S.

R_Rated 10-13-2016 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by go.illini (Post 13673201)
@Fasttr is correct. No SPASM on .2 Targa S.

Same on Cabs.

jvmax 10-13-2016 07:25 PM

Safe to assume 1-2 targas per dealer per year? I did not realize they made so little. As a .1 targa 4s owner, the 3.8 has plenty of power but these targas are set up softer than other 911's. On the .2's, both motor's are 3.0 so with the turbos the base targa should be plenty sufficient.