Sponsored by:

Comments from Targa/Cab owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:43 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
My 991 is my 4th Porsche Cab and that is the only Porsche I would consider. I'm a top down ragtop guy. Just love them.
All that fabric intimidates me, even knowing it's over magnesium. I like it to look "fresh" all the time and I know it won't. My OCD will get unnerved by the creases, I fear.
The best thing about my Miata (for my quirks) was the power retractable hard top. Perfect combo IMO, since I'm not too worried about adding .6 at The Ring; I wish PAG would cave on that one.
I do like the open feel of my Boxster tho...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:25 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I love the Targa look, concept, and top design. I am not worried about longevity of the top mechanism.

What does annoy me is rattles and creaks. I won't rehash the rehash, you can search my post history for more details than you want.

Many (most) folks on here say their Targas are silent. I attribute this to low miles (mine has 31k) or to the fact my car was a "version 1.0" launch car.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
All that fabric intimidates me, even knowing it's over magnesium. I like it to look "fresh" all the time and I know it won't. My OCD will get unnerved by the creases, I fear.
The best thing about my Miata (for my quirks) was the power retractable hard top. Perfect combo IMO, since I'm not too worried about adding .6 at The Ring; I wish PAG would cave on that one.
So get an M4 Cabrio
Old 10-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

That BMW folding hard top has issues, too. Mine leaked air from new, and then started with some water leaks. I never had a convertible that didn't suffer some kind of leak over time. I've also had to replace tops. I NEVER gave it and second thought and ALWAYS thought that it was worth the price paid for the sheer pleasure of the open air experience.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If you take care of and treat your top, it will take care of you. Don't park it down when it's wet or leave it out in the sun for extended periods of time and you'll be fine.

The canvass exterior isn't a variable to a cab so if that's a dealbreaker for you then Targa is next best thing. Targa's are more unique but will never have the open air feeling.

How does your boxster top look?
Old 10-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So get an M4 Cabrio
I have never owned a BMW. Sticking with the brand that can charge $295 to paint headlight washers and get away with it
Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If you take care of and treat your top, it will take care of you. Don't park it down when it's wet or leave it out in the sun for extended periods of time and you'll be fine.

The canvass exterior isn't a variable to a cab so if that's a dealbreaker for you then Targa is next best thing. Targa's are more unique but will never have the open air feeling.

How does your boxster top look?
My Boxster has 2 K miles on it and parked in a heated/cooled garage. It's been in the rain once (on the way home from delivery) and has never sat in the sun for any length of time. Also had the top treated by Todd Cooperider as part of the deluxe new car prep. So, it looks pretty much like new.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have never owned a BMW. Sticking with the brand that can charge $295 to paint headlight washers and get away with it
It's a fine brand. My 2015 528 is the second best daily driver I've had.

The best was a 2006 E500. At the time it was by far the best in it's class and I drove it to 288,000 miles... with no major problems.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:29 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I considered a targa over a cab. But ultimately decided that the complete open air feeling is markedly different and better and I chose the cab. It also helps that a pre-owned Cab with identical options is about $10-$15K less than a targa, even though the original MSRP was identical. You could argue that you'll get the money back when you sell it, but I suspect as there are more and more targas on the used market over time, the resale value delta will get closer and closer.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

It's a decent car if you MUST have a folding hardtop in a performance car.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:57 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

My five month old 2017 Targa has 5100 miles. I love the look of the Targa, and on smooth roads or with the top down its a near-perfect drive. On broken roads with the top up strange resonance type noises, a metallic vibration, occur in the area where the Targa top abuts the Targa bar on the passenger side, particularly in the higher rev range. I've put friction tape on some of the metallic frame that's enclosed under the Targa bar and padded many contact points. I've got it about 90% resolved, but it still gets to me sometimes. Truthfully, I'm the only one that ever hears it and it's completely drowned out by music at even modest volume, so it may be my OCD.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
My five month old 2017 Targa has 5100 miles. I love the look of the Targa
Can you tell us about the condition of your targa top fabric after this time/mileage?

I was disappointed a while back when I first realized that the very rear piece of the top actually folds and could lead to creasing/abrasion like the cab tops suffer. Most of the videos online don't show the top folding from the right angle to see it. I had to actively search for a video that showed it in order to confirm my suspicions.

I'm hoping it's not a big deal but the threads and pictures here showing nearly new cabs with massive wear and lines on the roof fabric have me wondering what to expect...
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Can you tell us about the condition of your targa top fabric after this time/mileage?

I was disappointed a while back when I first realized that the very rear piece of the top actually folds and could lead to creasing/abrasion like the cab tops suffer. Most of the videos online don't show the top folding from the right angle to see it. I had to actively search for a video that showed it in order to confirm my suspicions.

I'm hoping it's not a big deal but the threads and pictures here showing nearly new cabs with massive wear and lines on the roof fabric have me wondering what to expect...
Top looks as new. No problems.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:56 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds
2 years with my targa and love it. Waiting on the top to open or close has not been an issue. I've read where suspension was set up a touch softer, allowing for the extra weight. That is a plus for me as it's my DD. I also drove a targa GTS on a euro tour. I did not really feel much difference from my targa 4S.
No regrets, it's a beauty.
Not a fan of Targas in general but yours is a beauty!

Love my Cab. I know I'm going to catch some crap here but in my opinion a 911 is not a 911 unless you can "drop the top"
Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
Top looks as new. No problems.
Awesome! Mine won't be here for another month or two but glad to hear confirmation in advance of finding out for myself.

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
Love my Cab. I know I'm going to catch some crap here but in my opinion a 911 is not a 911 unless you can "drop the top"
You are allowed to love what you love, I have zero issue with that and respect that.

I just can't see there being any "drop top" 911 racecars and given how much history and time Porsche has associated with racing (and winning) I just can't get behind a "911 is not a 911 unless..."

Quick Reply: Comments from Targa/Cab owners